Author Topic: TV Buying Question(s)  (Read 666 times)

Offline GNatsNoMore

TV Buying Question(s)
« Topic Start: December 04, 2012, 11:15:29 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a plasma TV for the family, specifically a Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50 50-Inch 1080p Full HD Plasma TV.  Does anyone have a Panasonic plasma TV?  They seem to be rather highly rated on Amazon and Best Buy.

Also, I was thinking of wall mounting it with Cheetah mounts from Amazon (cheap, but highly rated). Anyone have any experience with these, or general advice about installing/using wall mounts?  For some reason, wall mounting makes me a little nervous, but that's what my wife wants.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Re: TV Buying Question(s)
« Reply #1: December 04, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
I think the other Panasonic, the one that's 55/65 inches is the TV of the year from CNET. Not plasma I don't think, but Panasonic is a good brand.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #2: December 04, 2012, 11:37:14 AM »
I don't have any issue with Panasonic, they make solid stuff. I would however consider LED/LCD over Plasma. Just my personal opinion.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #3: December 04, 2012, 11:39:16 AM »
I've had a 50 inch VIERA for 2+ years now, and it's worked out very well for me. I asked around extensively about Plasma vs LCD while I was shopping for it, and the consensus seemed to be that Plasma has worked out its issues with TV life/burn in, and that it is better for sports than LCD.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: December 04, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
Also, I was thinking of wall mounting it with Cheetah mounts from Amazon (cheap, but highly rated). Anyone have any experience with these, or general advice about installing/using wall mounts?  For some reason, wall mounting makes me a little nervous, but that's what my wife wants.

just looking at the cheetah's briefly, when I installed mine (random costco buy) having the level built into the mount was nice, also having a hole in the middle of the mount to run the cables through instead of having to cut one below it looks clean

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #5: December 04, 2012, 12:18:27 PM »
All my TVs are Vizio, high quality for cheap prices.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #6: December 04, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »
I'll only ever buy Panasonic tv's based on all our previous tv purchases. Great picture (IMO the best picture quality you'll find), good price, and just overall high quality. Speaking of which, I'll be buying a Panasonic here as soon as I get home.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: December 04, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »
I have a smaller Viera, seems like quality stuff.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #8: December 04, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their advice.  I decided to go with the 50" Veira. 

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #9: December 08, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »
All my TVs are Vizio, high quality for cheap prices.

I've had no problems with my Vizios.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #10: December 08, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
I used the CNET primer to learn about buying TV's.

http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-buying-guide/

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #11: December 08, 2012, 10:06:33 PM »
That sucks - Meant that's awesome, misread  :roll:. 1.5 years ago I got a very small (22") Vizio TV for a computer monitor and I love it. No clue about anything bigger than that, though.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #12: December 08, 2012, 10:19:20 PM »
That sucks - 1.5 year ago I got a very small (22") Vizio TV for a computer monitor and I love it. No clue about anything bigger than that, though.
I've got a 49" Vizio that has been great.  Had it almost a year now.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: December 08, 2012, 10:42:32 PM »

same here, 32" is going on 3 years now.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #14: December 08, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
I'm thinking of buying a plasma TV for the family, specifically a Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50 50-Inch 1080p Full HD Plasma TV.  Does anyone have a Panasonic plasma TV?  They seem to be rather highly rated on Amazon and Best Buy.

Amazon Basics brand has a some really good wall mounts. Make sure you mark your wall studs very carefully.