Author Topic: Peter Angelos - Winning Friends and Influencing People (Os vs. Ravens)  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Coladar

Here's a fun little piece from the WaPo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2013/03/19/nfl-mlb-at-odds-over-nfl-season-opener-in-baltimore/

Summary: Ravens, as NFL champions, host NFL opening game. Problem? Orioles game scheduled at the same time. Peter Angelos seems to think he's going to win the adoration of Baltimore sports fans by throwing a hissy fit and demanding the NFL OPENING GAME get moved to another city, or something, anything, but have them play it in Baltimore. Yeah, smart move there, Pete. I'm sure if you get your way it isn't like those Ravens fans won't give a second thought about your asshattery the other 80 games.

Peter Angelos. Idiot. Big shocker, I know.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Here's a fun little piece from the WaPo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2013/03/19/nfl-mlb-at-odds-over-nfl-season-opener-in-baltimore/

Summary: Ravens, as NFL champions, host NFL opening game. Problem? Orioles game scheduled at the same time. Peter Angelos seems to think he's going to win the adoration of Baltimore sports fans by throwing a hissy fit and demanding the NFL OPENING GAME get moved to another city, or something, anything, but have them play it in Baltimore. Yeah, smart move there, Pete. I'm sure if you get your way it isn't like those Ravens fans won't give a second thought about your asshattery the other 80 games.

Peter Angelos. Idiot. Big shocker, I know.

I hope both franchises blow up.

Online HalfSmokes

Would the NFL ever reschedule for baseball? 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I hope both franchises blow up.

:worship:

Would the NFL ever reschedule for baseball? 

freak no.

Offline blue911

A Thursday night against the White Sox. He's got to protect those 7,000 fans

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
^ :lmao:

The two teams share the parking area but it's not like the birds will need that many spots. I'm sure hammonds and CALSGR8 can carpool to the game to save spots for the NFL crowd.

Offline blue911

Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti has taken the high road, offering to cover any money that Orioles owner Peter Angelos might lose and he envisions a September celebration a la Patriots Day in Boston, when the marathon and a Red Sox home game at Fenway coexist and beer sales soar.

From the above article.

Offline mitlen

Let the fan bases fight it out in the parking lot.   Invite Philadelphia fans down.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Angelos really should move the Os game to 11 AM.  The bars would love it. A bunch of sports fans taking the day off and having to kill 4 hours drinking between games. Have Ray Lewis throw out the first pitch. 

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Angelos will require TV rights for the Ravens game in order to agree to the switch.

Offline Coladar

Well, the timing thing I do get... The article mentions there's another team to think about, the White Sox, which is true. They play the Yankees at 7pm Wednesday. Makes a morning start suck for them. So there are two options: Sox say, hey, early game is great! Give us some tix to the Ravens game and it's all good. Or, its a goddamn four game series. 7pm Friday, Saturday, 1pm Sunday. Holy crap, Batman! Doubleheader on Saturday? Is that so *ing hard to grasp? Hey Petey baby, just pretend it's going to rain cats and... cats that night. No different from a game being rained out, except the fans have a half year warning.

My main thing with this article is that I cannot conceive how Angelos doesn't think this comes back and bites him in the ass. If he got his way, and Baltimore lost the opening NFL game, jesus... If Baltimore sports fans have any self respect, Camden would be a ghost town. No matter what, no matter how minimal the effect is, this ain't how you sell tickets.

Offline Coladar

Angelos will require TV rights for the Ravens game in order to agree to the switch.

Ohh... That reminds me, doesn't MASN still have some dealings with the Ravens? Preseason games, possibly postgame shows during the season too? Or did that end?

If it didn't, I wouldn't look for the Ravens to remain partners with MASN come contract time if Angelos digs his heels in over this.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Orioles had their schedule set well before the NFL moved in.

Goodell the bully throwing his weight around, nothing new.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
It's the Orioles...

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Orioles had their schedule set well before the NFL moved in.

Goodell the bully throwing his weight around, nothing new.

But the NFL had established the tradition of the Super Bowl winner hosting the Thursday night opener before the MLB schedule was set.  Angelos knew this and is looking for a payday.

Offline mitlen

But the NFL had established the tradition of the Super Bowl winner hosting the Thursday night opener before the MLB schedule was set.  Angelos knew this and is looking for a payday.

"Tradition"?   ...   about 10 or so years

Offline Coladar

Yeah, but MLB releases the schedule absent times in September. The Ravens had barely won a game when it was announced.

That said, this is baseball. Rain outs happen frequently. Its a 162 game schedule. The White Sox play the following three days in Baltimore.

NFL won't budge. If Angelos wins, it means the NFL opener won't be in Baltimore. If Angelos loses, it means what? No one comes to his game, trouble parking, or moved to a different day and time? Angelos loses a hell of a lot more money by winning this than he stands to by losing. That's idiocy no matter how you slice it.

Offline mitlen

Angelos is waiting to be bought out  ...  offered  a deal.   He did it with the Nats.   He does it in court.   It's his M.O.  ...   and it works.

Offline Coladar

Angelos is waiting to be bought out  ...  offered  a deal.   He did it with the Nats.   He does it in court.   It's his M.O.  ...   and it works.

He already has. See the quote from blue's post. There's no reason to push this forward after that offer other than stupidity.

Offline mitlen

He already has. See the quote from blue's post. There's no reason to push this forward after that offer other than stupidity.

Chump change  ...   Angelos doesn't give a warm p*** about the NFL.   He could sell the Oreos tomorrow, make a cool $550M and never look back.   He'll fight just for the fun of it.   

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Angelos sets the MLB schedule?  Quite the conspiracy theory.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Angelos sets the MLB schedule?  Quite the conspiracy theory.

Teams have some influence degree of influence over their schedules.  Angelos is very smart and very conniving.

Offline Coladar

Chump change  ...   Angelos doesn't give a warm p*** about the NFL.   He could sell the Oreos tomorrow, make a cool $550M and never look back.   He'll fight just for the fun of it.   

Hmmm... Agree to disagree then. Angelos isn't going to win here, he sure as hell won't get a better offer than being given all possible revenue lost with this game. But if he pushes this, *some* Ravens fans are going to be pissed off and skip Os games they otherwise go to. As I already said, Angelos loses more by winning this than losing. There's no 'No NFL and MLB game conflicts!' Law. Angelos has *nothing* to stand on here. Clearly even whatever contract they have with parking doesn't address or side with Petey on this. Angelos might enjoy a fight, but that fight will cost him $ in the end.

Offline Coladar

Teams have some influence degree of influence over their schedules.  Angelos is very smart and very conniving.

But the schedule was released in September... The only open question was time, and with the Sox in NY Wed night, they had little choice. When the date of the game was set before the Ravens had played more than a couple games, unless Petey is psychic (in which case he should have gone to Vegas and bet on the Ravens) then this is all just coincidence and bad luck.

Offline mitlen

Angelos is Beelzebub.