Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 105758 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #575: May 23, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »
It took me until yesterday to figure out that my favorite backyard bird song (tweet tweet tweet tweet birdie! tweet tweet tweet tweet birdie! tweet twee tweet tweet BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE!) was a male Cardinal.

Carpenter is camping in your yard?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #576: May 23, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »
It took me until yesterday to figure out that my favorite backyard bird song (tweet tweet tweet tweet birdie! tweet tweet tweet tweet birdie! tweet twee tweet tweet BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE BIRDIE!) was a male Cardinal.
What diocese?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #577: May 26, 2013, 07:19:34 PM »
Eating dinner outside tonight we spotted what Ms1995hoo believes is a dove sitting on a nest in our neighbor's cherry tree. Bit too many shadows to get a good picture at this time of day. Interesting to see, though. The bird just sat there staring at us the whole time we were out there.

Edited to add: Got a picture last night with the DSLR. I wasn't nearly as close as the picture makes it look. I had it zoomed all the way in and then this is a small piece of a much larger photo.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #578: June 28, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
We went for a walk around the lake near our house yesterday evening and I spotted a strange creature I had not seen before. I think it was an otter based on its appearance and based on images I found with a Google search. See below—it's swimming along the shoreline to the left between the bridge and the two geese swimming together. You can see its tail better than you can see the critter itself. Almost seemed like it was swimming laps!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #579: June 28, 2013, 11:04:39 AM »
Wow. Can't see the tail well, but are you sure it's not a juvenile beaver? There's LOTS of those around. Could it be a juvenile nutria?

Otters, I haven't seen many of those. Are they rare around here?

We went for a walk around the lake near our house yesterday evening and I spotted a strange creature I had not seen before. I think it was an otter based on its appearance and based on images I found with a Google search. See below—it's swimming along the shoreline to the left between the bridge and the two geese swimming together. You can see its tail better than you can see the critter itself. Almost seemed like it was swimming laps!

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #580: June 28, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »
Wow. Can't see the tail well, but are you sure it's not a juvenile beaver? There's LOTS of those around. Could it be a juvenile nutria?

That's what I thought too, but there are River Otters in the area, I don't know how common they are though. Cute little buggers though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_river_otter

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #581: June 28, 2013, 11:30:07 AM »
I'd love to see one of those in its natural setting.

That's what I thought too, but there are River Otters in the area, I don't know how common they are though. Cute little buggers though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_river_otter

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #582: June 28, 2013, 11:39:11 AM »
The only time I've seen one was at the Zoo in DC. If you can see them during feeding time, it's pretty cool. They stand up on their hind legs and "chatter" at the zoo keeper as he tosses them fish.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #583: June 28, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »
My daughter's working down there now. I'll ask her to get a video.

The only time I've seen one was at the Zoo in DC. If you can see them during feeding time, it's pretty cool. They stand up on their hind legs and "chatter" at the zoo keeper as he tosses them fish.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #584: June 28, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »

I don't see an otter cam, but plenty of other really cool critters.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/webcams/default.cfm

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #585: June 28, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
That place is like a 10 minute walk from the house.  Home away from home...the only major zoo in the country (and one of the only ones in the world) that does not charge admission.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #586: June 28, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »

Maybe. I really don't know and I was just guessing as to what I thought it might be. This is the first time we've ever seen an animal that looks like that swimming around the lake. Next time we go for a walk maybe I'll bring my DSLR so I can get a better picture (the ones above were with an iPhone), but of course if I do that it means we won't see it!

Edited to add: I looked at both the river otter article linked above and the Wikipedia article about nutria (they call it a "coypu") and it looked like it could be either of those. The tail looked a lot skinnier than any beaver I've ever seen, but I'm no expert so I don't know.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #587: June 28, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »
Yeah. The girl is on a temporary job, but would love to become a permanent part of the staff.

That place is like a 10 minute walk from the house.  Home away from home...the only major zoo in the country (and one of the only ones in the world) that does not charge admission.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #588: June 28, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
Maybe. I really don't know and I was just guessing as to what I thought it might be. This is the first time we've ever seen an animal that looks like that swimming around the lake. Next time we go for a walk maybe I'll bring my DSLR so I can get a better picture (the ones above were with an iPhone), but of course if I do that it means we won't see it!

Edited to add: I looked at both the river otter article linked above and the Wikipedia article about nutria (they call it a "coypu") and it looked like it could be either of those. The tail looked a lot skinnier than any beaver I've ever seen, but I'm no expert so I don't know.

I thought Nutria were more concentrated in the south? I would guess river otter now, knowing that they are known to be found in the area.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #589: June 28, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »
I don't see an otter cam, but plenty of other really cool critters.

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/webcams/default.cfm
OMG I'm not getting any work done ever again, love this! thanks for the tip Frau :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #590: June 28, 2013, 02:25:05 PM »
I'm not watching this, because my wife often watches webcams of baby birds being fledged on building ledges, and cannot stop watching.

OMG I'm not getting any work done ever again, love this! thanks for the tip Frau :)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #591: June 29, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »

We take the kids every year. 

FREE THE GOLDEN TAMARINS!

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #592: August 19, 2013, 09:53:03 AM »
Whoa.....this little guy was out on our deck this morning and was rather....excited.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #593: August 19, 2013, 11:44:57 AM »
That must be a really good nut.  :shock:

• babble on
« Reply #594: August 22, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »
Man, at least here in the inner city we don't have stalker perv squirrels peeping in the windows with acorn boners

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #595: August 22, 2013, 03:11:41 PM »
Try doing more research in DuPont Circle

Man, at least here in the inner city we don't have stalker perv squirrels peeping in the windows with acorn boners

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #596: August 24, 2013, 04:16:24 AM »
Caught this little freaker raiding my bird feeder at about 4 AM. There were two more, but they were able to run down the stairs. This guy was trapped up on the post set up for the bird feeder and was about 40 feet in the air so he decided to freeze and wait it out. allowed me to get within about two feet of him and snap some pics.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #597: August 24, 2013, 12:20:07 PM »
Someone up here just posted on Craiglist a FREE raccoon trap:
Raccoon cage trap (Bethesda/Glen Echo, MD) (collapsible).
Havahart brand, model #1809
like new. call Joel at 301-814-9470 do not email me.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    Posting ID: 4022434679
    Posted: 2013-08-24, 9:01AM EDT

But you can watch a game with a raccoon...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #598: August 24, 2013, 12:34:24 PM »
Someone up here just posted on Craiglist a FREE raccoon trap:
Raccoon cage trap (Bethesda/Glen Echo, MD) (collapsible).
Havahart brand, model #1809
like new. call Joel at 301-814-9470 do not email me.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    Posting ID: 4022434679
    Posted: 2013-08-24, 9:01AM EDT

But you can watch a game with a raccoon...
(Image removed from quote.)
I like that the raccoon uses two hands.  Good fundamentals.  Solid defensive replacement who would not get fooled by bad lighting.

• babble on
« Reply #599: August 24, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »
Raccoons have very dainty hands - like concert pianists.  They used to raid the cat dishes at my mom's house in Miami and then wash their hands in the pool.  Such refinement!