Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88149 times)

Offline Glockypoo

I would hate to see Alex Meyer go, but him Rosenbaum and maybe a reliever would give us CarGo.

It would take more than one real prospect to snag Cargo. 

Think Meyer and Goodwin.

Offline HalfSmokes

Right but if you move LaRoche what kind of bat could you realistically get for him that would be better?

My guess is you'd either have to make multiple trades, or include prospects

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
because he may be the only position we're not locked into long term either by virtue of contract or how the team views the player.

Third and Right are set due to contracts for a very long time

Harper is set at either center or left for a very long time (and even if you slide him to left, you displace Morse and Moore)

second, short and catcher are all manned by young players the FO seems to like and view long term.

That leaves first and left, I think Morse/Moore is less likely to get traded than LaRoche, but that's just me

No I understand that but I'm asking why we should trade him. It would be dumb to trade him for a piece. Sure, in the longrun it may help but if we lose him then we lose our best power bat. We shouldn't trade him just because we can. We're not going into the all star break losing so we don't need to sell.

Offline Fan037

Why do people want to trade LaRoche? He's our best guy on offense right now.

You beat me to it.  I was going to say I don't want to trade LaRoche.  If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't be where we are.  Furthermore, he seems to be a leader with some of the young guys.  Leave him where he is.

Offline HalfSmokes

I think middle infield is where can improve, but I'm not wedded to either Espinosa or Desmond long term

Offline monkeyhit

Don't want to trade Laroche because 1) he's our clean-up hitter and 2)he's a lefty and we are too lop-sided with righties.  We have that option year, so unless you can get a better lefty for 1B or OF, you might as well sign him for another year.

That leaves an outfield of Morse, Harper, Moore and Werth, plus a 5th guy like RA, RB or Cory Brown. 

The only trade would have to be for a better-hitting lefty than Adam LaRoche.

Offline MorseTheHorse

planning ahead so that Stras will be able to pitch inthe playoffs will help this team much more than any deadline deal will. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
planning ahead so that Stras will be able to pitch inthe playoffs will help this team much more than any deadline deal will. 

:lmao: :lmao:

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
Yeah LaRoche isn't going to get traded. I can almost guarantee that's a guy that Rizzo won't trade regardless of what it could get back. Maybe in the off-season but no way they move him mid-season.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Yeah LaRoche isn't going to get traded. I can almost guarantee that's a guy that Rizzo won't trade regardless of what it could get back. Maybe in the off-season but no way they move him mid-season.

Can't trade him in the off-season.

Either he re-ups here, or he becomes a FA. If he does re-sign... you can't trade him till like May or June.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
If it is an exercised option rather than an FA, does the no trade rule apply?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

I wouldn't think so. Also would help with value when moving to another team (knowing they can exercise an option for next year). He's not close to a Type B yet, huh? If the Nats declined his option this year, there's still no way to net arbitration picks?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Votto would be an upgrade HAHA

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

This is about David Wright. Is it accurate? I had thought that an exercised option was treated like a FA deal when it came to trades, but it may have been Linty that told me that in another thread.

Wright's contract allows him to void the 2013 team option if he is traded during the season. So Wright could be just a two-month rental if he is dealt on or before July 31.

Also, under the new collective bargaining agreement, if a team acquires a player in-season via trade and then loses him as a free agent after the year, it no longer gets draft picks as compensation. That CBA change, at least modestly, could reduce the price commanded when trading a player in-season, unless the player is willing to commit to a long-term extension and the acquiring team does not risk losing him.

If the Mets held on to Wright at the trade deadline, they could pick up his 2013 option after the World Series and then deal him next winter. In that scenario, the acquiring team would get Wright for a full season instead of two months, plus the right to offer him arbitration after the 2013 season and get draft picks if Wright walks.

Offline Mr Clean

I wouldn't be surprised to see Espinosa traded.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude

If they do that, they're dumping him at a low value point - I don't think they will, unless they're giving up on him.  I think it's more likely that you see Desmond traded than Espi, and I think Lombo's more tradeable than either of them.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

I would. Unless Rendon magically proves healthy in the next week and tears up the minors at a .800 clip for a month straight.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
MLBTR:
While there has been some speculation that the Rockies could consider moving outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, General Manager Dan O'Dowd says that the standout will be staying put in Colorado, writes Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

O'Dowd says that talk of the team putting the 26-year-old on the block started when Nationals GM Mike Rizzo inquired on him via phone.  The Rockies GM says that he told Rizzo that the outfielder wasn't available, and that was the end of it.

O'Dowd added that he has had a great deal of calls on Michael Cuddyer but won't part with him either.  He expects to keep Dexter Fowler past the deadline as well but stopped short of calling him untouchable.

"I can't say for certain [we're not trading him] but we put a lot higher value on him than someone looking to acquire him," the GM said.  Fowler has put it together since his demotion last season and is hitting .282/.377/.539 with ten homers this season.

Offline nobleisthyname

I really do not see how anyone can want CarGo or Fowler unless they only do a cursory surface analysis of them. That makes me nervous as to why Rizzo would be interested   :? I've mostly liked his moves up to this point so perhaps he knows something I don't.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Rizzo: Yo' O'Dowd. How does a package of Henry Rodriguez, Nady, and Roger Bernadina sound for Carlos Gonzalez?

O'Dowd: :rofl: <phone is slammed down>

<Rizzo puts down his cell phone and resumes interview with Jon Heyman>

Rizzo: <sighs, softly spoken> Alas beefcake, we were not meant to be. 

Jon Heyman: Huh? What was that?

Rizzo: Nothing. That's a clown question, bro. Matt Kemp is gutless. 

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
I really do not see how anyone can want CarGo or Fowler unless they only do a cursory surface analysis of them. That makes me nervous as to why Rizzo would be interested   :? I've mostly liked his moves up to this point so perhaps he knows something I don't.

I think anybody who looks only at their home/away splits and presumes that you're getting the away player probably is underselling the Nats diligence process.

Just because Coors makes you a better hitter doesn't mean you were a terrible hitter.  To some extent most players have a better home vs. road split.  Coors just exaggerates that effect.  How much it exaggerates is a matter for a lot of detailed analysis. 

Remember the folks who argued that Gio was a creature of A's stadium?  Yeah, that turns out to be not quite true, eh?  Same, maybe, with CarGo or Fowler - yes, they look good at Coors, but that doesn't mean they suck elsewhere.

Offline hammondsnats

it'd take a lot to get cargo ... is he worth it?  well imagine an OF of Cargo/Harper/Werth (with Morse at 1B) for the next 4 years or whatever. 

Offline HalfSmokes

The interesting thing about it is the other moves it would trigger- cargo, Harper, and Werth effectively lock up the outfield for a very long time (cargo and Werth both under contract through 2017) That makes two of morse Moore and LaRoche expendable, corey brown almost certainly gets traded, same with hood