Author Topic: Bryce to catcher? just a thought to help the roster  (Read 4157 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
We should be getting rid of Werth, Desmond, and Ramos too, then?
And Zimmerman. He was awful too.

Offline Ray D

And Zimmerman. He was awful too.

Well he went 1 for 4, about par for a pinch hitter.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Faces of the Franchise don't get to hit .250 in the playoffs. He sucks. Dump his nag ass.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Faces of the Franchise don't get to hit .250 in the playoffs. He sucks. Dump his nag ass.

That made him what, 3rd best on the team?

:hang:

Offline whytev

With a whopping total of 26 plate appearances?

Over his last 26 PA's, Souza was .130 /.231 / .391 /.622    :spaz: :spaz:

Span's playoff 20 PA's he was   .105/ .150/ .105/ .255    :spaz: :spaz: :spaz: :spaz:

You can't fight small sample sizes with small sample sizes. Yeah, both Souza and Taylor have the potential to be great. They haven't been yet. Span has. He played poorly in the post-season, as did all starting position players aside from Cabrera, Harper, and Rendon. Either way, that 9 million is a bargain next year. When someone gets injured or else in September, Souza and/or Taylor will get the chance to prove themselves.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
i'd be absolutely shocked if we don't keep Span, move Bryce to CF, and put Souza in LF simply because that means we don't have a solid leadoff hitter.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
i'd be absolutely shocked if we don't keep Span, move Bryce to CF, and put Souza in LF simply because that means we don't have a solid leadoff hitter.
wrote more in the roster structure thread, but exercising Span's option and trading him this off season simplifies the moves over the next few seasons.  His value is high due to a good season, cheap contract, and the ability of a team to acquire him and give a QO next year.  I'd think you would get the equivalent of a first round pick back in a prospect, at least.

Offline dracnal

It took me a minute to parse this.  I read it as 'i'd be absolutely shocked if we don't (keep Span, move Bryce to CF, and put Souza in LF) simply ...' as opposed to (don't keep Span), move Bryce to CF... etc.  I was trying to figure out how we could justify having four OF on the field at the same time.  Coffee has NOT kicked in.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
It took me a minute to parse this.  I read it as 'i'd be absolutely shocked if we don't (keep Span, move Bryce to CF, and put Souza in LF) simply ...' as opposed to (don't keep Span), move Bryce to CF... etc.  I was trying to figure out how we could justify having four OF on the field at the same time.  Coffee has NOT kicked in.

Sorry, typed on my phone.  Yeah, what I was trying to say is that i'd be shocked if we go into next season without Span, and with Souza in LF, Harper in CF.  We've tried for so many years to get ourselves a decent leadoff hitter, and with Span we finally have one.  I just don't see us letting him go until we're sure that Taylor is ready (likely in 2016).

Offline dracnal

I tend to agree with you on that.  I don't think Souza or Taylor have a place just yet at the major league level except as an injury replacement for an OF.  I'd rather they come up and be the every day player and allow McLouth or Schierholtz (or whoever serves their purpose) keep their role as bench veteran and pinch hitter.  They've had their day and don't deserve to play daily while a AAA+ player rides the bench. 

Offline UMDNats

wrote more in the roster structure thread, but exercising Span's option and trading him this off season simplifies the moves over the next few seasons.  His value is high due to a good season, cheap contract, and the ability of a team to acquire him and give a QO next year.  I'd think you would get the equivalent of a first round pick back in a prospect, at least.

as smart as this sounds, this FO hasn't proven to me that they have any desire or aggressiveness to do this kind of scenario.