Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Christian Garcia, RHP  (Read 4626 times)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Follow The Prospects: Christian Garcia, RHP
« Topic Start: August 15, 2012, 06:06:15 PM »

Via Chad Jennings of the Journal News:

Once a highly touted pitching prospect in the Yankees system, right-hander Christian Garcia was released last season after a series of injuries derailed his promising career. The Yankees are aware that Garcia, 25, has been working out and plans to throw for scouts, but I was told today that the Yankees have no plans of bringing Garcia back to the organization.

Garcia was one hell of a prospect. He had a good fastball, a great curveball, and a solid changeup. He was potentially as good as Phil Hughes or better. The problem is that he can not stay healthy.

He was drafted by the Yankees in the 2004 draft and seven years in the system he was only able to stay healthy for one season. Not a good track record. So the Yankees cut him loose after he underwent Tommy John surgery last April.

It’s a little bit surprising that the Yankees are not at least interested in seeing him throw, but perhaps they are tired of watching him get injured. Either way, they are stocked with good pitching at the higher levels of the minor leagues. So there really isn’t much room for Garcia anyway.

@DKnobler Danny Knobler: Nationals thinking about bringing up Christian Garcia (0.79 ERA, 61 Ks in 45 1/3 IP) before Sept. 1. Could impact down stretch/playoffs

Great interview with Garcia, with interesting insight on the signing process. He also noted the huge velocity loss -- two years ago. Would like to see some recent scouting reports with velocity updates.
http://minormatterstrenton.blogspot.com/2012/04/christian-garcias-ready-for-his-third.html

Offline Mr Clean

Re: Christian Garcia
« Reply #1: August 15, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »
Nice. Great story if it happens.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: August 15, 2012, 07:21:04 PM »
AA stats: 20 IP (18 G), 4 ER, 6 BB, 28 K. 35% K%
AAA stats: 25.1 IP (20 G), 1 ER, 9 BB, 33 K. 35% K%

In AAA his opponents have a .173 BABIP, which suggests some pretty good luck on batted balls to go with his dominating strikeout numbers.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3: August 15, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »
Or that he's getting weak contact?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #4: August 15, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »
I've been pumping this guy up for a long time. Lorb said a week ago he'll be a September call-up.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: August 15, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
It appears we don't have a "Follow the prospect" thread for Christian.  Should we?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: August 15, 2012, 09:16:32 PM »
Well, if someone wants to start one.  BrandonK - can you add a little basic bio?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Re: Follow The Prospects: Christian Garcia, RHP
« Reply #7: August 17, 2012, 09:21:10 PM »
Any recent scouting reports?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #8: April 22, 2014, 06:00:52 PM »
Chris Garcia pitched 2 2/3 innings Monday, April 21, 2014 in a pitching-jumbled game, taking the loss against the Rochester Redwings. Danny Rosenbaum started, was injured and pulled. Garcia pitched 2 2/3, then Ryan ("Remember Me") Mattheus pitched 2 2/3, and infielder Jose Lozaida pitched a scoreless inning. Game summary says Syracuse was short on relief pitchers. My guess: Nats had Blake Treinen, Xavier Cedeno, and Aaron Barrett traveling. Treinen will start tonight for Syracuse against, of all people, Chien Ming Wang.

Correction: Syracuse site now lists Tatusko starting tonight.

Meanwhile, Garcia gave up 4 runs, "ballooning" his ERA to 3.38 over 10.2 innings, with 2 walks, 12 strikeouts, and a WHIP of 0.94.

Offline pazzo83

« Reply #9: April 30, 2014, 03:01:42 PM »
I heard Garcia was BACK on the DL.  Is this true?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #10: April 30, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
I heard Garcia was BACK on the DL.  Is this true?

Garcia — who had a stellar September as a 2012 call-up, was injured nearly all of 2013 and competed for a bullpen spot this spring — landed on the disabled list with a sore shoulder after throwing 49 pitches on April 21.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/04/30/nationals-minor-leagues-also-hit-hard-with-injuries/

Offline welch

« Reply #11: April 30, 2014, 10:21:31 PM »
Ugh. That was the game when Garcia pitched 2 2/3 innings and Mattheus did the same. The Syracuse bullpen had Barret, Treinen, and somebody else (X-man?) shuttling between the Nats and Syracuse. Bullpen was very short-handed when Rosenbaum went out with a sore arm. 

Offline welch

Garcia back in action tonight in Treinen's win. Garcia pitched 1 inning, no runs, no hits, 1 BB, 3 KKs. Appears he's razor-sharp again.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Oh man, I hope so. That guy has had some rough breaks.

Offline welch

Garcia pitched two innings last night: no runs, one hit, one walk.

Offline welch

Finished the 10 - 2 Syracuse win last night. One K, runner reached on error by SS, no hits, not runs, and the breaking pitch bends in a way that might break a right-hander's back if he tried to swing.

Offline HalfSmokes

is there a reason he's not in the majors- it's not like his arm has many innings in it- why waste them in syracuse

Offline Slateman

is there a reason he's not in the majors- it's not like his arm has many innings in it- why waste them in syracuse

All full up

Offline blue911

He was on the DL for a month. same as it always was

Offline PC

He was on the DL for a month. same as it always was

...and if you want to actually hear it... http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19cqk0_talking-heads-once-in-a-lifetime-1980-2013-hd_creation

This video isn't on youtube except for this one with no sound.

1980???  Goodness gracious, I'm old.

Offline welch

- Many good relief pitchers...enough to fill out another MLB roster, almost
- Only opening is Gio's starting spot
- I suspect that he'll be called up in September, if not sooner. Let him prove his arm is healthy. Dare I say it...Soriano is excess? Trade Soriano for a hitter????  (If only...)

Offline HalfSmokes

Let him prove his arm is healthy.

it's healthy now, going by history, it won't be by the time he's done proving it

Offline PC

it's healthy now, going by history, it won't be by the time he's done proving it

Going by history it won't be by the time you just hit enter.

Offline welch

Garcia just went on the seven-day DL with a sore shoulder. Bad news.

Offline Slateman

Bad news but not surprising.