Author Topic: 2012 Regular Season Awards  (Read 9687 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
2012 Regular Season Awards
« Topic Start: October 03, 2012, 07:51:45 AM »
BP has released the results of its staff selections for various 2012 awards.  To me not a lot of great surprises.

American League

MVP
 1.Mike Trout, Angels, 28, 277 (27)
2.Miguel Cabrera, Tigers, 27, 188 (1)
3.Robinson Cano, Yankees, 19, 96
4.Adrian Beltre, Rangers, 7, 35
5.Adam Jones, Orioles, 2, 10
6.Justin Verlander, Tigers, 1, 7

Cy Young
 1.Justin Verlander, Tigers, 27, 131 (25)
2.David Price, Rays, 21, 49 (2)
3.Felix Hernandez, Mariners, 20, 41
4.Chris Sale, White Sox, 6, 10
5.Jered Weaver, Angels, 4, 10 (1)
6.Max Scherzer, Tigers, 5, 9
7.Fernando Rodney, Rays, 1, 1

Rookie of the Year
 1.Mike Trout, Angels, 28, 140 (28)
2.Yu Darvish, Rangers, 23, 52
3.Yoenis Cespedes, Athletics, 26, 51
4.Jarrod Parker, Atletics, 3, 5
5.Chris Carter, Athletics, 1, 1
6.Will Middlebrooks, Red Sox, 1, 1
7.Matt Moore, Rays, 1, 1

Manager of the Year
 1.Buck Showalter, Orioles, 21, 95 (16)
2.Bob Melvin, Athletics, 23, 75 (6)
3.Robin Ventura, White Sox, 15, 21
4.Ron Washington, Rangers, 2, 6 (1)
5.Joe Maddon, Rays, 4, 4
6.Joe Girardi, Yankees, 1, 1
7.Jim Leyland, Tigers, 1, 1
8.Eric Wedge, Mariners, 1, 1

National League

MVP
 1.Buster Posey, Giants, 27, 248 (21)
2.Ryan Braun, Brewers, 27, 189 (5)
3.Andrew McCutchen, Pirates, 20, 123 (1)
4.Yadier Molina, Cardinals, 9, 49
5.Craig Kimbrel, Braves, 1, 5

Cy Young
 1.R.A. Dickey, Mets, 21, 89 (16)
2.Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers, 25, 86 (8)
3.Gio Gonzalez, Nationals, 17, 43 (4)
4.Stephen Strasburg, Nationals, 6, 12 (1)
5.Cliff Lee, Phillies, 4, 8
6.Craig Kimbrel, Braves, 3, 7
7.Johnny Cueto, Reds, 6, 6
8.Kris Medlen, Braves, 2, 2

Rookie of the Year
1.Bryce Harper, Nationals, 27, 134 (22)
2.Wade Miley, Diamondbacks, 23, 68 (3)
3.Todd Frazier, Reds, 16, 24
4.Norichika Aoki, Brewers, 10, 20
5.Wilin Rosario, Rockies, 3, 9 (1)
6.Mike Fiers, Brewers, 3, 5
7.Zack Cozart, Reds, 1, 1

Manager of the Year
 1.Davey Johnson, Nationals, 22, 94 (17)
2.Bruce Bochy, Giants, 10, 32 (3)
3.Dusty Baker, Reds, 12, 28 (1)
4.Fredi Gonzalez, Braves, 8, 24 (2)
5.Mike Matheny, Cardinals, 7, 11
6.Clint Hurdle, Pirates, 2, 6
7.Bud Black, Padres, 3, 5
8.Ron Roenicke, Brewers, 3, 5
9.Don Mattingly, Dodgers, 1, 1

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Re: 2012 Regular Season Awards
« Reply #1: October 03, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »
I'm surprised that Strasburg is above Kimbrell in the Cy Young contention. Or that the's even in contention at all, considering his innings and shutdown. Also what do the numbers beside the names mean?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: October 03, 2012, 08:13:25 AM »
. Also what do the numbers beside the names mean?

For the MVP voting, we've slightly amended the traditional points system in place that has been used elsewhere, dropping fourth- and fifth-place votes to make it 10-7-5 for the MVP Award, and the regular 5-3-1 for the Cy Young, Rookie of the Year, and Manager of the Year Awards (that's 5 points for a first-place vote, 3 points for a second-place vote, etc.). Next to each of these selections we've listed the total number of ballots, followed by the total number of points, and then the number of first-place votes in parentheses, if any were received.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: October 03, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
i can't argue with any of those awards, as much as i'd like to see Gio win the CY, Dickey had the better year.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: October 03, 2012, 09:00:12 AM »
I'm surpirsed that Trout won by so much. I honestly think the AL MVP is closer than that.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #5: October 03, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »
I was going to make a thread on what everyone's personal awards would be, so I'll put the here.

My take on everything and a brief explanation:

AL MVP - Miggy Cabrera - Trout is awesome and deserves a "Player of the Year" like in Hockey, but Miggy put the Tigers on his back with help from maybe Prince but that's it and got them to the playoffs.  He is a true MVP in any form of the phrase.

AL CY - Verlander.  He does it again because he is still the best pitcher in the game.

AL ROY - Trout, thanks to that technicality from last year.

AL MOY - Bob Melvin.  Buck had a better lineup, and worse starters, but Melvin had no real lineup and platoons like everyone.  He deserves it.

AL EOY - Billy Beane.  No contest here.

NL MVP - Buster Posey.  Insane second half.  Team is winning mostly because of him.  Easy win.

NL CY - R.A. Dickey.  As much as I want Gio to be the guy, Dickey is doing preposterous things as a knuckleballer and did it hurt for the whole year.  Gio would be "pitcher of the year" IMO, but as far as pitching like a Cy Young should, Dickey is it.

NL ROY - Harper.  Miley performed poorly in his past few starts.  Frazier fell off a cliff.  Rosario plays in CO and his only good stat is his HR.  Harper at 19 is putting up the best season for teen since Mel Ott.  He is 2 HR away from Conigliaro, and has put this team on his back a few times this year.  Everybody else can eat a d**k.

NL MOY - Davey, and it isn't even close.

NL EOY - Rizzo and again it isn't even close.

Nats personal team awards this season:

Nats MVP - Adam LaRoche.  33 HR, 100 RBI out of a guy who looked like a shell of himself in his first contract year.  He brought in big hits when there needed to be big hits and played crazy clean defense at 1st.  He made me a believer after all winter when I wanted Prince.  Great job by ALR.

Nats CY - Gio.  While he doesn't beat out Dickey nationally, he is by far the best pitcher on this team.

Nats ROY - Harper.  Done and done.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #6: October 03, 2012, 12:59:44 PM »
LOL at Miguel Cabrera losing MVP in a triple crown season. Not saying Trout doesn't deserve it, but damn what more could Cabrera have done?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #7: October 03, 2012, 01:06:55 PM »
LOL at Miguel Cabrera losing MVP in a triple crown season. Not saying Trout doesn't deserve it, but damn what more could Cabrera have done?

Trout plays elite defense at a premium position - Cabrera fields balls better with his head than his glove

Trout also has silly speed and is a terror on the base paths - A dead Zombie is faster than Cabrera

Defense and speed should count for something :shrug:

Though - I've always been an advocate of giving the MVP to a guy who helped his team get in the playoffs, vs not -  since, theoretically, those games/performances are more meaningful.

Meh - you really couldn't go wrong with either as your choice

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #8: October 03, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
Trout plays elite defense at a premium position - Cabrera fields balls better with his head than his glove

Trout also has silly speed and is a terror on the base paths - A dead Zombie is faster than Cabrera

Defense and speed should count for something :shrug:

Though - I've always been an advocate of giving the MVP to a guy who helped his team get in the playoffs, vs not -  since, theoretically, those games/performances are more meaningful.

Meh - you really couldn't go wrong with either as your choice

Can't the league have a "Player of the Year" award?  Would fix this debate really fast.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #9: October 03, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »
Can't the league have a "Player of the Year" award?  Would fix this debate really fast.

Yeah, exactly, just like in Hockey ... Trout is, after all, doing things pretty much no one has ever done before

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #10: October 03, 2012, 01:10:06 PM »

No kidding. Cabrera all day. I guess people are giving it to Trout on his legs and D as well. He's a great player, but if you put up a triple crown season, you deserve MVP.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #11: October 03, 2012, 01:14:29 PM »
I like Trout but Miguel Cabrera deserves MVP. The guy was just insane this year. Every other award I pretty much agree with.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #12: October 03, 2012, 01:18:34 PM »
AL MVP - Miggy Cabrera - Trout is awesome and deserves a "Player of the Year" like in Hockey, but Miggy put the Tigers on his back with help from maybe Prince but that's it and got them to the playoffs.  He is a true MVP in any form of the phrase.

"from maybe Prince" and maybe Verlander and maybe Scherzer and maybe Austin Jackson and maybe Doug Fister "but that's it."

Without Trout, the Angels never would have had a chance of getting to the playoffs.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #13: October 03, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »
"from maybe Prince" and maybe Verlander and maybe Scherzer and maybe Austin Jackson and maybe Doug Fister "but that's it."

Without Trout, the Angels never would have had a chance of getting to the playoffs.

Yeah, but who's fault is that?

The Angels have Pujols and Trumbo and what is supposed to be a killer rotation - and they added frickin Greinke at the deadline!

Not sure that Trout should benefit in the MVP race because the rest of his team decided to suck instead of playing up to their capabilities

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #14: October 03, 2012, 01:24:50 PM »
Quick GG/SS

AL (GG/SS):

C - Weiters/Mauer
1B - Tex/Prince
2B - Cano/Cano
3B - Beltre/Miggy
SS - Andrus/Jeter
LF - Gordon/Gordon
CF - Trout/Trout
RF - Reddick/Reddick

DH SS -
P GG - Price

NL (GG/SS):

C - Molina/Posey
1B - A-Gone/LaRoche
2B - Espinosa/Hill
3B - Wright/Wright
SS - Desmond/Desmond
LF - Prado/Braun
CF - Bourn/McCutchen
RF - Heyward/Heyward

P - Buerhle/Leake

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #15: October 03, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »
Don't see Wright getting the Gold Glove - only Silver Slugger - and Strasburg should get the Silver Slugger for pitchers

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #16: October 03, 2012, 01:45:02 PM »
Don't see Wright getting the Gold Glove - only Silver Slugger - and Strasburg should get the Silver Slugger for pitchers

Wright has the best fielding numbers over any NL 3B, as much as I want it to be Zim.  Leake has two homeruns and still has a high BA.  He will get SS for pitcher.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #17: October 03, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
Yeah, but who's fault is that?

The Angels have Pujols and Trumbo and what is supposed to be a killer rotation - and they added frickin Greinke at the deadline!

Not sure that Trout should benefit in the MVP race because the rest of his team decided to suck instead of playing up to their capabilities

While Tigers have "bigger names" I think the Angels had the much better lineup. And even rotation at that, well, when they added Greinke at least. But for some reason they couldn't do squat!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #18: October 03, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »
Trout's team had the best record in baseball from the date of his call up. They would not have been in contention for the WC and the division until the last week but for Trout.  Had they called him up from the get go instead of fooling around with assorted old OFs, who knows. 

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #19: October 03, 2012, 01:56:02 PM »
Trout's team had the best record in baseball from the date of his call up. They would not have been in contention for the WC and the division until the last week but for Trout.  Had they called him up from the get go instead of fooling around with assorted old OFs, who knows.

Did Trout put Pujols, Hunter, Morales, Trumbo, Aybar, and Kendrick on his back?  The talent is there, and you can say that he definitely helped make more hittable pitches for the rest of the team but Miggy is taking a team that sucks without him to the playoffs.  I don't think it is definitive that without Trout, the Angels have a losing record or anything like that.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #20: October 03, 2012, 01:57:07 PM »
Wright has the best fielding numbers over any NL 3B, as much as I want it to be Zim.  Leake has two homeruns and still has a high BA.  He will get SS for pitcher.

I don't think it should be Zim and I thought Aramis Ramirez had the best numbers - :shrug:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #21: October 03, 2012, 01:59:18 PM »
Did Trout put Pujols, Hunter, Morales, Trumbo, Aybar, and Kendrick on his back?  The talent is there, and you can say that he definitely helped make more hittable pitches for the rest of the team but Miggy is taking a team that sucks without him to the playoffs.  I don't think it is definitive that without Trout, the Angels have a losing record or anything like that.

I think the Angels are way worse without Trout because the rest of those guys decided to suck instead of playing up to their capabilities - and the Tigers do have Prince and Justin frickin Verlander, there's really no excuse for them to suck as much as they did this year either

Offline KingHarper

« Reply #22: October 03, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »
Trout should be MVP. One of the best seasons in a long time

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #23: October 03, 2012, 02:00:24 PM »

Yeah, but there's no excuse for that - Angels should have never sucked as much as they did

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #24: October 03, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »
I think the Angels are way worse without Trout because the rest of those guys decided to suck instead of playing up to their capabilities - and the Tigers do have Prince and Justin frickin Verlander, there's really no excuse for them to suck as much as they did this year either

Eh, I don't know about that. The Angels have much better players all around. They should be in the playoffs. The Tigers? I don't know. They have one of, if not, the best 3-4 connection in the entire league, but they don't really have much offensively aside from those two. Fielder would not have been able to take that team himself. Verlander can only do so much every 5th day.... then again, he put the Tigers on his back last year by himself and won the MVP because of it. I'd say it could go either way for the MVP title too, but triple crown is really hard to do :lol:.

Like JCA said, Trout really did improve the team, but I think without him, the Angels would've started competing anyway. Without Miggy, the Tigers probably wouldn't be where they are right now.