Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Ian Krol, LHP  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Glockypoo

Follow the Prospects: Ian Krol, LHP
« Topic Start: May 02, 2013, 08:45:47 AM »

Ian Krol
Up to date stats on milb.com:
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=571871
Born: 05/09/1991
Birthplace: Hinsdale, IL
School: Neuqua Valley HS
Height: 6' 1"
Weight: 210
Bats: L
Throws: L
Position: Relief Pitcher
Drafted: 7th round in 2009 draft by Oakland
Prospect Ranking: Baseball America #9 (2010); Oakland Minor League Pitcher of the Year 2010
Acquired: PTBNL as part of the Michael Morse trade with Seattle & Oakland

Video on Krol from the UA game:
http://www.baseballfactory.com/video/1068/Under-Armour-All-America-Ian-Krol

Suspended for more than two months in 2011 after a tweet that included a homophobic slur:
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Ian-Krol-says-he-s-matured-since-slur-suspension-3357288.php

Sickels on Krol:
Krol avoided injury problems and Archie Bunker outbursts last year but struggled in the unforgiving California League. He pitched better as the season progressed, showing a better changeup in particular. He gave up some runs after moving up to the Texas League, but his K/BB and K/IP ratios were quite good and that’s more important for his future projection.

ScoutingBook.com on Krol:
On the mound, Krol doesn't bring any overwhelming heat, breaking 90mph only on a good day, but we mentioned he was left-handed, right? What he is good at is changing speeds, working both sides of the plate with great accuracy, and keeping hitters both off-balance and honest, thanks to the aforementioned touch ability and a plus curve that he can bounce or drop into the zone on demand. If his bundle of finesse skills translate to higher levels of ball, he'll be a meaningful MLB player one day.

Baseball Prospectus on Krol:
Krol sits at 88-91, but his accuracy with his pitches is outstanding, as he uses both sides of the plate effectively and works up and down. His curveball is another plus pitch that he can drop into the zone for strikes or bury as a chase pitch, and he has no fear in using it at any point in the count,He goes after hitters without fear, and he's the kind of pitcher who could get better when he moves up and has a more polished defense behind him.
If there's one negative in Krol, it's just what he's not. I absolutely adored watching him pitch last night, but at the same time, what can he be in the end? There's no doubt in my mind that it's a big leaguer, with the floor of a long career as a situational reliever, but at the same time, I don't see the ceiling as more than a fourth starter. Despite all of the control, pitchability, and competitiveness, he's still a low three-quarters slot guy with average velocity and two good, but not killer, secondary offerings.

Offline Glockypoo

Re: Follow the Prospects: Ian Krol, LHP
« Reply #1: May 02, 2013, 08:48:46 AM »
Sounds like a Sean Burnett clone to me.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: May 02, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »
Thanks, Glockypoo. I'll add this to the list.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: May 02, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »
nice thread.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #4: May 02, 2013, 10:46:07 PM »
Thanks Glockypoo.  I'm adding what you posted yesterday in another thread for everyone's benefit:

Ian Krol is murdering people down in Harrisburg.

14 IP, 8 H, 3 BB, 1 ER, 14k.

Any scouting reports on his stuff? Looks like he's gone multiple innings a handful of times so it's possible he's more than just a LOOGY.

Still young (turns 22 next week), too.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #5: May 14, 2013, 08:24:43 AM »
2IP, 2H, 0R, BB, 4K last night.

0.93 ERA, 22K, 5BB, 11H, 2ER in 19.1 IPs on the season.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #6: May 18, 2013, 01:24:05 PM »
Question: Was Krol always a bullpen guy is he a starer getting converted to a bullpen guy

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #7: May 18, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
Question: Was Krol always a bullpen guy is he a starer getting converted to a bullpen guy
He's started 15 games last year.
www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=krol--001ian

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #8: May 18, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »
Starter into bullpen. So far so good.