Author Topic: WP: Zimmerman's Contract  (Read 1706 times)

Offline PC

WP: Zimmerman's Contract
« Topic Start: March 01, 2007, 02:15:54 AM »
Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman remains the team's only unsigned player. Because Zimmerman has less than three years of service time, the club could renew his contract, which paid him the major league minimum of $327,000 in 2006, if a new deal isn't struck before March 11, per terms of the collective bargaining agreement.

That, however, is unlikely, and there are signs the two sides are considering a multi-year deal for Zimmerman that would solidify his status as the face of the franchise -- a significant statement for a player who isn't eligible for arbitration until after 2008. General Manager Jim Bowden and President Stan Kasten declined to comment Wednesday on such negotiations. Bowden, Kasten and Zimmerman's agent, Brodie Van Wagenen of Creative Artists Agency, will all be here this weekend.

"Jim and Stan and I have had very positive discussions regarding Ryan," Van Wagenen said. "Jim's been very supportive of Ryan since the day he was drafted, and Stan has been the same since the day he became involved. We continue to have dialogue, very positive dialogue."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content//article/2007/02/28/AR2007022802022.html

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: WP: Zimmerman's Contract
« Reply #1: March 01, 2007, 03:42:28 AM »
hrm. interesting.  wonder whether the Lerners will open up those CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP pursestrings for a Long-term deal for Zimmerman?

y'know, cause the Lerners are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and all, one would think they'd just renew the contract until he's eligible for arbitration.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #2: March 01, 2007, 03:53:19 AM »
I figured this was really a non-story until they sign the contract.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #3: March 01, 2007, 06:27:15 AM »
I figured this was really a non-story until they sign the contract.

I agree that it's a bit of a non-story until something actually happens. I would actually be a little disappointed if they signed some deal where they spend a lot of money unnecessarily. He's still young and inexperienced, and they have him under club control. The reasons a team would do that are always to save money in the long run, so it is not always in the interest of the player. But maybe he feels comfortable with something smaller, but guaranteed. It would be sensible all around to wait another year before coming to terms on some extended deal. I know people look at the Wright and Reyes deals. But those guys had more time logged as pros overall. It seems premature for anything resembling that.

Offline PC

« Reply #4: March 01, 2007, 02:33:01 PM »
hrm. interesting.  wonder whether the Lerners will open up those CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP pursestrings for a Long-term deal for Zimmerman?

y'know, cause the Lerners are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP and all, one would think they'd just renew the contract until he's eligible for arbitration.

Well, since he'll be arbitration-eligible in 2009, "multi-year" probably means two years and they're unlikely to break the bank for him.  He'll still probably make less than a million but considering they only HAVE to pay him the veteran minimum, that's a step forward...for owners who'll have the lowest payroll in baseball.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: March 01, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »
Does anyone know what our payroll is this year?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #6: March 01, 2007, 06:01:30 PM »
Also, speaking of teams with low payrolls...  what have the Marlins been doing this offseason?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #7: March 02, 2007, 03:17:43 PM »
Not much.

Cabrera won his arbitration and is making $7.4 million.  Willis signed for $6.5.  No CF, no closer (leading candidate is Tankersley, who just went down with tendonitis).  Worse still for them, it beginning to look like Josh Johnson may miss the entire year, and probably is out until atleast June, all resulting from an incredibly stupid move last September by Girardi.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #8: March 02, 2007, 04:06:18 PM »
Does anyone know what our payroll is this year?

According to MLB Trade Rumors, it's projected to be $35-36 million.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #9: March 02, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »

Offline PC

« Reply #10: March 02, 2007, 09:50:34 PM »
FWIW, Ryan Howard signed for $900,000 in his final non-arbitration-eligible year.  He and the Phillies couldn't agree on a multi-year deal.

Howard's contract is the highest in MLB history for a non-arbitration eligible player.

Offline PC

« Reply #11: March 02, 2007, 10:46:33 PM »
More non-news from the Post about Zimm's contract:  :lol:

Zimmerman Negotiations

Third baseman Ryan Zimmerman went 2 for 3 with a mammoth two-run homer. The Nationals are scheduled to meet with Zimmerman and his agent, Brodie Van Wagenen, about a contract on Sunday in Viera. The club is discussing a multiyear deal with its franchise player despite the fact that he won't be eligible for arbitration until after the 2008 season.

"It'd be nice to get something done," he said.

One possible benchmark: the six-year, $55 million contract signed by New York Mets third baseman David Wright last August.

Offline PC

« Reply #12: March 05, 2007, 09:40:51 AM »
Another non-news update on the contract front:  8)

Zimmerman Meeting Is 'Positive'

By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, March 5, 2007; E08

VIERA, Fla., March 4 -- Ryan Zimmerman and his agent met with top officials from the Washington Nationals on Sunday morning, a meeting that Zimmerman described as "positive" but which didn't result in a contract for the team's star third baseman.

"We weren't going to decide on anything in one day," Zimmerman said. "It was basically to talk. Talk is good. Everything is positive. There's nothing negative going on. No one's upset at each other and arguing or anything like that."

Zimmerman is entering his second full season in the majors, and the club is under no obligation to strike a lucrative deal with him. He will not become eligible for arbitration until after the 2008 season, and wouldn't be a free agent until after the 2011 season.

Team president Stan Kasten, who attended the meeting along with General Manager Jim Bowden and Vice President of Baseball Operations Mike Rizzo, has a policy of not commenting on -- or even acknowledging -- contract negotiations. But it remains possible that the Nationals will strike a multiyear contract with Zimmerman.

Zimmerman said nothing substantive was determined Sunday, and that the process seemed to be more about making him feel comfortable.

"They're smart baseball people," Zimmerman said. "They keep it kind of relaxed."

Zimmerman went 2 for 3 in Sunday's 6-2 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers and is now 6 for 8 on the spring. He'll have his first day off Monday.

"It is exciting when your best hitter in the lineup is ready in the third game of the Grapefruit League," Manager Manny Acta said.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #13: March 05, 2007, 10:05:29 AM »
Another non-news update on the contract front:  8)

Well, at least the news recently has clarified that they are actually talking about the potential for a longer-term deal not just two years. Zimmerman would have to weigh security versus earnings potential, because the team should not be looking to spend a fortune when they don't have to. His agent is starting with David Wright's contract as a benchmark (according to the reports.) That seems like a good starting point from the player's perspective, but from the team's perspective, I would be shocked if they would view that as a baseline. Zimmerman may become a star that surpasses Wright down the road, but that is all speculative, and Zimmerman just doesn't have the track record in the books like Wright does. It will be interesting to see the decision that gets made here. The most likely scenario is a 500k deal for one year followed by a re-evaluation. A long-term deal with Zimmerman at this stage of his career would either have to be very cost-effective or a sign that the team wants to make a splash (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it certainly isn't necessary.)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #14: March 05, 2007, 12:58:44 PM »
What is the length they could possibly be considering? He is a FA after 2011. It seems like it is pointless to sign him for anything less than 7 years (2 years beyond FA).  Wrights contract probably takes him at least two or three years beyond first FA. As does Kearns' deal.  I can see how it would build some goodwill, but does that really count for much.

Signing him for 7 years seems like a huge risk for locking him in for just two extra years. Signing him for less than that is just throwing money away.

I'd rather see 10 years for like 90 million than 6 for 55.  Sign him really long term and you could potentially have a great value for a marginal increase in risk over 6 for 55. By 2012, 9 million per year could be a drop in the bucket. So if it is dead money for another 4 years (because zimmerman doesnt work out for some reason), it might not be too bad

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #15: March 05, 2007, 01:05:57 PM »
Wow, he's 6-8 this spring training?
Hell, I hope he keeps this up all season.

Get it done Bowden/Kasten.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #16: March 05, 2007, 01:25:24 PM »
What is the length they could possibly be considering? He is a FA after 2011. It seems like it is pointless to sign him for anything less than 7 years (2 years beyond FA).  Wrights contract probably takes him at least two or three years beyond first FA. As does Kearns' deal.  I can see how it would build some goodwill, but does that really count for much.

Signing him for 7 years seems like a huge risk for locking him in for just two extra years. Signing him for less than that is just throwing money away.

I'd rather see 10 years for like 90 million than 6 for 55.  Sign him really long term and you could potentially have a great value for a marginal increase in risk over 6 for 55. By 2012, 9 million per year could be a drop in the bucket. So if it is dead money for another 4 years (because zimmerman doesnt work out for some reason), it might not be too bad

I would agree. If they can lock up the arbitration years for a cost-effective amount, I can see that working. They would have plenty of time to extend it if needed. Also, they can protect themselves with a longer-term deal by putting in a buyout. Nevertheless, there's really no rush on something like this, as you said. So unless Zimmerman likes the idea of trading a decent deal for the team in exchange for guaranteed security, I don't see it happening.

Probably the best thing that is happening is that the FO is laying out the whole roadmap and plan for Ryan so that he feels part of the big picture. That is more important at this point anyway. He's not going anywhere.

Offline PC

« Reply #17: March 05, 2007, 02:51:50 PM »
I can't imagine how a really long term contract would work.  It would be very risky for the team to give someone with such a limited record, a seven or ten year contract and I can't imagine him wanting a contract that would extend into his arbitration years.

Two years just seems to work the best for both sides.  It takes away the unknown of his non-arbitration years but still gives him his arbitrateable years.  After the two years, if he keeps up with this kind of performance, that's the time they can give him the long term contract, the 7-10 year range.

iluvryanzimmerman

« Reply #18: March 06, 2007, 10:38:18 AM »
i hope he gets the deal all though i think it will only be a one year coontract just to see if he can still keep it up for this year. i mean last Zimmerman job was outstanding and i think they are seeing if he can keep it up.. so nxt year the may give him a longer-term deal.
i can only hope!
-by the way- spring training games are really boring only when im not yelling my lungs out cuz no one would sooo-
GO RYAN ZIMMMERMAN!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #19: March 06, 2007, 10:54:37 AM »
Say iluv-
Are you home schooled or does you high school have a Spring Semester at Florida Spring Training option?  Or the best Field Trip ever?  You can get a disposable camera and have the prints put on a CD, so you can send photos to us here. 

If you follow other baseball teams well enough to manage a Fantasy Team, click on the Sticky so you can draft Ryan Z Number ONE in the draft.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #20: March 06, 2007, 11:14:44 AM »
Say iluv-
Are you home schooled or does you high school have a Spring Semester at Florida Spring Training option?  Or the best Field Trip ever?  You can get a disposable camera and have the prints put on a CD, so you can send photos to us here. 

If you follow other baseball teams well enough to manage a Fantasy Team, click on the Sticky so you can draft Ryan Z Number ONE in the draft.
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Her school is using ST games to teach spelling (player's names) and math (figuring out player's average).  :lol: