Author Topic: MASN Channel Assignments and Schedule For 2007  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
MASN Channel Assignments and Schedule For 2007
« Topic Start: February 27, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »
Fresh out of my mailbox...

The Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN), the television home of the Washington Nationals and the Baltimore Orioles, will bring home an unprecedented 323 Nationals and Orioles games for the 2007 season.

161 Nationals games and 162 Orioles Games will be broadcast on MASN and MASN 2. MASN will also introduce new pre-game and post-game shows, Nats Xtra and O's Xtra, for every game featuring MASN's all-star broadcasting lineup.

And before Opening Day, MASN will bring you 8 Nationals and 7 Orioles Spring Training games, including 4 match-ups between the O's and the Nats.

The First Spring Training Game Between the Nationals and the Orioles will be broadcast this Saturday, March 3rd at 1pm.

99 Nationals games will be carried by MASN and 62 games will appear on MASN2 and 99 Orioles games will be carried by MASN and 63 games will appear on MASN2.

When both the Nationals and Orioles play at the same time, the teams will alternate between MASN and MASN2, the network's second cable and satellite channel.  All of MASN's cable and satellite distributors provide a MASN2 channel, which remains consistent throughout the entire season.   So if you've got MASN - then you've got MASN2.

Because MASN is owned by both teams, it can offer fans unmatched access to the action on the field and inside the game, with pre- and post- game shows like Nats Xtra and O's Xtra, and featuring managers, coaches and magazine shows and in-game enhancements.

Tune in Saturday for the first 2007 O's and Nats game and be there!

The MASN Team

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Re: MASN Email
« Reply #1: February 27, 2007, 04:50:18 PM »
Here's the Link to the MASN 2007 Broadcasting Schedule

:arrow: http://www.masn.tv/natscorner/index.cfm?ID=136

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Re: MASN Email
« Reply #2: February 27, 2007, 04:52:30 PM »
And Here's the Link So You Know What Your Channel Assignment Is For MASN and MASN2

:arrow: http://www.masn.tv/programming/index.cfm?ID=82

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: MASN Channel Assignments and Schedule For 2007
« Reply #3: February 27, 2007, 05:25:44 PM »
So you're telling me that the May 11th game will not be televised! I'm outraged, especially since all the Orioles games will be carried.  :lol:  :shock:  :P  ;)

Offline bob2274

« Reply #4: February 27, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
So far, there's one Nationals game sceduled for FOX (that 162nd game that MASN isn't carrying). There are ZERO O's games scheduled for FOX.
I would guess ESPN will choose a Sunday game from each team to show when they finalize their schedule.

In the end, it seems like MASN has made every effort to cover both teams equally. People still like to talk about how the Nationals are getting shafted, but how? They get $26 million or so a year from MASN to show the games, and all of the games are on TV. Even the games that are on local TV are shown on cable outside of the broadcast area. Besides that, they get a stake in the cable network that they invested nothing into. That ownership stake is small at first, but it grows every year until it reaches one third.

Yes, we got royally scewed the first two years, but our efforts have paid off and we get every game on TV. As I look around the MLB sites, there are very few teams that show every game on TV, and the ones that do usually show one game a week or so on only the local broadcast channel, leaving out the rest of their region.

I guess what I'm saying is, we fans have it really good now. I'm not going to shed any tears for the Lerners' financial situation, but they got a really good deal too.

Maybe next they can put together a winning team. I, for one, have been too distracted by this whole deal to even concern myself with that. What can I say, though. I've been a Caps fan long enough that I consider every win to be a gift.  :D

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #5: February 27, 2007, 06:10:30 PM »
...People still like to talk about how the Nationals are getting shafted, but how?
...That ownership stake is small at first, but it grows every year until it reaches one third.
Pfft!  What kind of fairness is that?  Puhleeeeese.  Thanks for "allowing us in time" to make one-third of the revenue, when we provide 75% of the TV market.  Please don't do us any favors. :roll:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #6: February 27, 2007, 06:22:20 PM »
So far, there's one Nationals game sceduled for FOX (that 162nd game that MASN isn't carrying). There are ZERO O's games scheduled for FOX.
I would guess ESPN will choose a Sunday game from each team to show when they finalize their schedule.

In the end, it seems like MASN has made every effort to cover both teams equally. People still like to talk about how the Nationals are getting shafted, but how?

yes, fine. we get all the games.  but outside of that, 95.5% of everything else on the station is baltimore-focused.

so, WE, not The Nationals, WE the DC-based viewers, are the ones getting shafted in terms of local SPORTS(as in all sports on and off the field, not just Nationals Games)coverage. 

for a "Regional" Channel, MASN still has an awful tilt towards Sports teams that are based in Baltimore, and North.

there's still no reason for me to watch MASN on a regular basis outside of Nationals Games.  I'd like for that to change in the future but I am not holding my breath.

outside of broadcasting the games, the Nationals, and most other DC-area teams, are BARELY mentioned on the MASN Network.

Offline bob2274

« Reply #7: February 27, 2007, 09:03:34 PM »
Yes it's true there are very few DC sports teams covered, but I think it's because most other DC sports are covered by Comcast SportsNet. MASN has no news show, and they don't intend to start one anytime soon, so I don't see any chance for them to cover anything DC related besides live games that they were able to get the rights to.
No matter for me anyway. I like the coverage of my favorite teams on CSN's SportsNite. After a live game on MASN, I'll be switching over to channel 251 to get regional sports news in HD. I agree that it would be a much better deal if DC teams were on CSN and Baltimore teams on MASN. We ended up getting a strange mix on two regional sports networks, but I'm fine with that too.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: February 27, 2007, 09:52:15 PM »
In the end, it seems like MASN has made every effort to cover both teams equally. People still like to talk about how the Nationals are getting shafted, but how? They get $26 million or so a year from MASN to show the games, and all of the games are on TV. Even the games that are on local TV are shown on cable outside of the broadcast area. Besides that, they get a stake in the cable network that they invested nothing into. That ownership stake is small at first, but it grows every year until it reaches one third.

I guess what I'm saying is, we fans have it really good now. I'm not going to shed any tears for the Lerners' financial situation, but they got a really good deal too.

Wow, we should be so grateful to Angelos for allowing us to provide 2/3 of the market, and giving us a generous 1/3 of the ownership interest, after 23 years.  While the Nats will be getting $26m or whatever it is for this year, Angelos and MASN will be raking in the fees from DC area residents far in excess of his wildest dreams.  And whatever profits accrue fall through after paying Warehouse rent, management fees, intellectual property transfer fees, accounting services, adminstrative overhead, and expense reimbursements will be approaching nil, at which point the last dollar or two will go to King Peter 88 -12.  I'm so excited.  What's that you say, I get to watch my team on TV now?

Sorry, I have Dish Network, no deal for me.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #9: February 28, 2007, 10:49:12 AM »
Pfft!  What kind of fairness is that?  Puhleeeeese.  Thanks for "allowing us in time" to make one-third of the revenue, when we provide 75% of the TV market.  Please don't do us any favors. :roll:

Right. The Nats are getting shafted because they do not have 100% control and ownership of their broadcast rights, which they deserve to have so that they can do what they want to to maximize revenue. The answer to the question of how the Nats are getting shafted is very simple. Anything less than 100% ownership and control is getting shafted. Period.

CharmCityCrab

« Reply #10: February 28, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
I agree that it would be a much better deal if DC teams were on CSN and Baltimore teams on MASN. We ended up getting a strange mix on two regional sports networks, but I'm fine with that too.

While it might not be the best for every fan out there, I think the idea of two Mid-Atlantic networks versus one for each major city is generally a better scenario for more fans for these reasons:

1. More overall teams and games available throughout the region (6 pro teams versus 4 or 2).  If people don't want the extra teams, they don't have to watch those games, but for those who are interested, they're there, giving folks more overall sports to watch without really cutting any major "more local" action.

2. Many people live in the Baltimore or PA area and commute to DC to work and have DC fan loyalties.  Many people live in western Maryland (Which is more a DC media market) and have Baltimore fan loyalties.  There are also a higher percentage of mixed loyalties in these areas.  I'm in PA and I'm a Caps fan (And, though I'm a Ravens fan, I do also notice Redskins stuff up here), I watch nearly every Caps game available to me and it's a highlight of my wintertime -- Do you think I'd get games if they formally made CSN the "DC" network?  I already have to fight tooth and nail with phone calls and such to keep it as it is.  And, of course, the ever-present DC Orioles fan thing (Which does exist, I see posts on O's boards).  Dividing up networks would divide fans from their teams in a market area that is increasingly blending together with commuters increasingly going back and forth from one area to another constantly.

Honestly, guys, do you really want to keep a lot of fans from being able to watch their teams just because you don't feel like hitting a couple buttons on your remote to switch from the Nats game to SportsNite or whatever combination of shows you want to watch?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11: February 28, 2007, 11:24:23 AM »
I think a smart move would be for Comcast to skew heavily if not totally to DC teams.  I dont want to have to sit throgh Ravens and O's stuff to hear about Caps and Nats. 

I think they are starting to realize this. The past few times I have seen SportsNite, the Nats have taken precedence. 

The sharing of networks is a one-way benefit for Baltimore teams. They are mooching off the DC market. 

I would like to see Comcast only cover DC teams and let the market decide if MASN survives.  Two half assed networks is not going to get it done. 

I will only be watching live Nats games on MASN.  Any post game or news will be watched on CSN, if for no other reason than I want dont want to give MASN anymore ratings than I have to.

Offline bob2274

« Reply #12: February 28, 2007, 12:57:26 PM »
The Nats are getting shafted because they do not have 100% control and ownership of their broadcast rights, which they deserve to have so that they can do what they want to to maximize revenue.

I believe they had 100% control and ownership when they were in Montr?al and the games were on RDS, and they never owned a stake in that channel. That didn't seem to make a difference when they moved, and it certainly didn't seem to make a difference when the Lerner family bought the team. If they can live with the TV situation that they knew about before buying the team, I think we can too.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #13: February 28, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »
I think a smart move would be for Comcast to skew heavily if not totally to DC teams.  I dont want to have to sit throgh Ravens and O's stuff to hear about Caps and Nats. 

I think they are starting to realize this. The past few times I have seen SportsNite, the Nats have taken precedence. 

The sharing of networks is a one-way benefit for Baltimore teams. They are mooching off the DC market. 

I would like to see Comcast only cover DC teams and let the market decide if MASN survives.  Two half assed networks is not going to get it done. 

I will only be watching live Nats games on MASN.  Any post game or news will be watched on CSN, if for no other reason than I want dont want to give MASN anymore ratings than I have to.

maybe I'm just weird and stubborn....but I'm not messing with Comcast Sportsnet until they put a Nationals Section on their website.  until then, me and CSN, we got beef.

it's been 2 years now, and CSN's website has still not acknowledged the presence of the Nationals.

(well, they DID take the Orioles section down, but still).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: February 28, 2007, 01:27:16 PM »
maybe I'm just weird and stubborn....but I'm not messing with Comcast Sportsnet until they put a Nationals Section on their website.  until then, me and CSN, we got beef.

it's been 2 years now, and CSN's website has still not acknowledged the presence of the Nationals.

(well, they DID take the Orioles section down, but still).

Agreed.  It's especially annoying when they promote their "blog" during evening and morning Nats pieces, then you go there and there is no link.  At best, you stumble around to find video of the news pieces.  Sarcasm mode on:  "Just go to www.comcastsportnet.com for the latest in Nationals news from spring training".  Mode off.

Harrumph.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #15: February 28, 2007, 01:48:54 PM »
I believe they had 100% control and ownership when they were in Montr?al and the games were on RDS, and they never owned a stake in that channel. That didn't seem to make a difference when they moved, and it certainly didn't seem to make a difference when the Lerner family bought the team. If they can live with the TV situation that they knew about before buying the team, I think we can too.
The fact that they or we can live with it is not the issue. The issue is that another team has control over their rights for no good reason.

CharmCityCrab

« Reply #16: February 28, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »

I am of the opinion that CSN actually needs to start to try to appeal more towards the Baltimore area, not less, in order to maintain it's channel placements in outlying northern areas, amongst other things.  Even in this digital area, channel slots are scarce and here in Pennsylvania, many are lobbying to have our CSN replaced with the Philadelphia one, even though we're far closer to both Baltimore and Washington than Philly.  One common sense thing might be to air Harrisburg Senators games during the summer and Hershey Bears games occasionally during the winter (The winter schedule is more packed so obviously there would be fewer Bears than Senators games).  It would appeal to the folks in the northern outlaying areas, but also have an appeal to DC folks because they're both DC affiliates.  Also, finding something Baltimore related to telecast games of might help -- I know the Blast are probably out because they're a winter thing, but maybe inventing some kind of arena football or something for the summertime.  Common sense stuff, but stuff I'm not seeing from CSN yet.  Obviously a strong commitment to Orioles and Ravens coverage would also be ideal.

I would like to see Comcast only cover DC teams

I want to continue see Caps and Terps games where I live and your plan would potentially deprive me of that basically so you don't have to bother hitting a button on your remote.  There are a lot of folks out there in similar situations.  Not to mention the fact that the long-term health of the Caps and Wizards may depend on having market penetration.  Kind of annoying, honestly.  Just flip channels to see what you want to see.  I don't understand why that's so hard.  On the other hand, people like me not being able to see our favorite hockey team, the Capitals, a team where I watch the vast majority of games and plan my leisure time around doing so, would be very hard, comparatively.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #17: February 28, 2007, 04:15:41 PM »
I am of the opinion that CSN actually needs to start to try to appeal more towards the Baltimore area, not less, in order to maintain it's channel placements in outlying northern areas, amongst other things.  Even in this digital area, channel slots are scarce and here in Pennsylvania, many are lobbying to have our CSN replaced with the Philadelphia one, even though we're far closer to both Baltimore and Washington than Philly.  One common sense thing might be to air Harrisburg Senators games during the summer and Hershey Bears games occasionally during the winter (The winter schedule is more packed so obviously there would be fewer Bears than Senators games).  It would appeal to the folks in the northern outlaying areas, but also have an appeal to DC folks because they're both DC affiliates.  Also, finding something Baltimore related to telecast games of might help -- I know the Blast are probably out because they're a winter thing, but maybe inventing some kind of arena football or something for the summertime.  Common sense stuff, but stuff I'm not seeing from CSN yet.  Obviously a strong commitment to Orioles and Ravens coverage would also be ideal.

I want to continue see Caps and Terps games where I live and your plan would potentially deprive me of that basically so you don't have to bother hitting a button on your remote.  There are a lot of folks out there in similar situations.  Not to mention the fact that the long-term health of the Caps and Wizards may depend on having market penetration.  Kind of annoying, honestly.  Just flip channels to see what you want to see.  I don't understand why that's so hard.  On the other hand, people like me not being able to see our favorite hockey team, the Capitals, a team where I watch the vast majority of games and plan my leisure time around doing so, would be very hard, comparatively.

It just comes back to the fact that I hate MASN, want it to fail miserably, and I'm thinking of ways to make it happen.  I'm sorry it comes at your expense.

And I think you might be overstating the importance of penetrating the Southern Penn/Western MD  market to CSN.  Hockey is a gate driven sport, so I've been told, and I guess because relatively nobody watches it on TV.  The Caps will make money off of you by you attending games. Not sure about the Wizards.  Most of their TV money could come from the national telecasts pot.

Offline PC

« Reply #18: February 28, 2007, 05:24:35 PM »
I agree that it would be a much better deal if DC teams were on CSN and Baltimore teams on MASN.

That's exactly the way it should be.  A neat, clean break between markets.

Offline PC

« Reply #19: February 28, 2007, 05:31:33 PM »
Honestly, guys, do you really want to keep a lot of fans from being able to watch their teams just because you don't feel like hitting a couple buttons on your remote to switch from the Nats game to SportsNite or whatever combination of shows you want to watch?

What I really want is for Peter Angelos to not make any money off the Nationals.  Not one penny.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #20: February 28, 2007, 06:37:43 PM »
What I really want is for Peter Angelos to not make any money off the Nationals.  Not one penny.

Exactly.  Why should Lord Baltimore profit off the team he so desperately fought tooth & nail to keep from being a reality?  He said there aren't that many baseball fans in Washington, but he sure doesn't have any problem taking their money.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
WOW I diodn't kow there was a MASN2. How long has that channel been around or is it new. Also, MASN is a good channel somwhat. THey show regoinal college basketball games(including my school's game Morgan State), and like the other poster said. There are a lot mixed region fans around the area. I know ppl who are fans of the Terps, Wizards, and Skin, and then i also know ppl who are fans of Gerogetown, Ravens, and Caps. Its a very diverse area when it comes to sports loyalties.

Offline Dave B

WOW I diodn't kow there was a MASN2. How long has that channel been around or is it new. Also, MASN is a good channel somwhat. THey show regoinal college basketball games(including my school's game Morgan State), and like the other poster said. There are a lot mixed region fans around the area. I know ppl who are fans of the Terps, Wizards, and Skin, and then i also know ppl who are fans of Gerogetown, Ravens, and Caps. Its a very diverse area when it comes to sports loyalties.

It only exists when the Nats and O's play at the same time. Dont worry, you didnt miss any televised Morgan State games on MASN2.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
LOL. I don't worry about televised morgan games. I'm at em!!!! I just remember seeing a few games on MASN during winter break.