Author Topic: New CBA reached, will be announced next week.  (Read 6449 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
New CBA reached, will be announced next week.
« Topic Start: November 18, 2011, 11:02:22 AM »
edit by The Chief: the "Astros moving to the AL" aspect of this is already being discussed in the Astros to AL thread

Latest On Upcoming CBA

By Ben Nicholson-Smith

Baseball's owners and players have agreed to a new collective bargaining agreement that should be announced early next week. Here are some details on the CBA, which ensures 21 years of labor peace for MLB:

Several GMs are livid over the restraints on draft spending, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Rosenthal also points out that commissioner Bud Selig, Rob Manfred of MLB and union leader Michael Weiner deserve credit for coming to an agreement peacefully.

There won't be hard caps for draft choices under the new CBA, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter). However, there will be recommended bonuses and tax implications for teams that go way over the suggested limits.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I hate that they are going to punish teams for spending in the draft.

Not sure if discussion is going on elsewhere, but this didn't obviously fit into any of the threads I saw.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: New CBA reached, will be announced next week.
« Reply #1: November 18, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
I get the idea of draft caps... so teams have to spend money on FA's rather than lottery picks... but as more and more small market teams, and teams that pretend to be small market though they play in a huge market *cough Washington cough* use the draft wisely ... it does hurt those teams.

Just glad there wasn't another strike.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: November 18, 2011, 11:18:33 AM »
Draft caps will screw teams that choose to try to quickly build the farm, not to mention encourage talented kids to choose other sports- anyone think Dusting Hood is a national with a 10k bonus?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: November 18, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »
Draft caps will screw teams that choose to try to quickly build the farm, not to mention encourage talented kids to choose other sports- anyone think Dusting Hood is a national with a 10k bonus?

There is no cap... it's just you've got to pay more taxes if you want to go that route.

Slap on the wrist, if you will.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #4: November 18, 2011, 11:28:55 AM »
Its not a massive overhaul to the drafting system, but its certainly headed in the wrong direction.  I suppose I am just happy that hard slotting was not implemented and that there was no lockout.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: November 18, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
Wow, 21 years?  That's a really long CBA for a major pro sport, isn't it?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #6: November 18, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »
21 years?  That's a really long CBA for a major pro sport, isn't it?

Haven't had a strike since 1994-95... and with the new deal lasting through 2016... that'd be 21 years.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #7: November 18, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
RE: draft punishing: can we get some more clarity on what kind of overage taxes we're talking about and what constitutes going "way" over the "suggested" limits?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #8: November 18, 2011, 11:48:30 AM »
Haven't had a strike since 1994-95... and with the new deal lasting through 2016... that'd be 21 years.

Ohhhhh...  totally not what I thought they meant :hammer:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #9: November 18, 2011, 12:43:51 PM »
Quote from: twitter
DKnobler
Worst part of draft bonus system in new CBA is that teams can lose future picks for spending too much. Hurts low-revenue teams the most.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #10: November 18, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »

Yeah, that part is most definitely bullcrap.

Offline blue911

« Reply #11: November 18, 2011, 12:53:58 PM »
Yeah, that part is most definitely bullcrap.

Reinsdorf doesn't like spending money on the draft.

Offline UnkleWheez

• UnkleWheez DC Sports Fan
« Reply #12: November 18, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »
Worst part of draft bonus system in new CBA is that teams can lose future picks for spending too much. Hurts low-revenue teams the most.

This is terrible. This is going to have a huge impact on baseball. They should let teams trade picks if this is the deal.

Offline Kevrock

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: November 18, 2011, 01:13:33 PM »
I wonder if anyone will challenge this- a union bargains away rights of draft picks who aren't members and the majority of whom never will be- it somehow seems wrong

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #15: November 19, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »
Has it been posted anywhere that they are putting in HGH blood testing effective in February? After they fought against it for years they cave in just like that? I guess the chemists have given the players something new.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #16: November 20, 2011, 08:17:54 AM »
Personally, I wish MLB would allow HGH under a prescription-based system.  I think the reduction of PEDs have kinda made the sport "boring."

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #17: November 20, 2011, 08:26:34 AM »
Has it been posted anywhere that they are putting in HGH blood testing effective in February? After they fought against it for years they cave in just like that? I guess the chemists have given the players something new.

Well, it's obvious that the game needs it and they would have gotten absolutely murdered by the media, fans, and maybe Congress (again) if they passed a CBA and didn't include that.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #18: November 20, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
Well, it's obvious that the game needs it and they would have gotten absolutely murdered by the media, fans, and maybe Congress (again) if they passed a CBA and didn't include that.

It's funny how the NFL is a sport we just accept steroid use as part of the violent game. Guys get suspended four games and that's it, everything goes back to normal.

Baseball, people get killed for it.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #19: November 20, 2011, 11:27:57 AM »
I'm not an NFL fan, so I can't comment really.

I'm not sure your point exactly, but I'm glad they are killing people for using steroids and PEDs. PEDs ruined the MLB for me for years.

Edit: Okay, I see what you're saying. It's odd that the media and Congress and everyone takes exception to MLB and don't bother the NFL. Yeah, that is odd. I'm not sure. Good point.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #20: November 22, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »
Rules are confusing as hell.

JeffPassan

International bonuses undergoing drastic overhaul. Among the biggest: Starting in 2013-14, teams can trade $ from their international pool.

JeffPassan

For example: Worst team in baseball gets $5M to spend internationally. If team doesn't want to spend it all, it can trade $ to another team.

JeffPassan

Teams can trade for only 50% more than their international spending cap. So if a team has a $2.5M cap, most it can trade for is $1.25M.

JeffPassan

Draft tax is harsh: Teams that go more than 5% over slot get a 75% tax. From 5-10% over, a 75% tax and loss of 1st-round pick the next year.

JeffPassan

More draft tax: Go 10-15% over, 100% tax and loss of 1st- and 2nd-round picks. 15% and higher is 100% tax and loss of two first-round picks.

JeffPassan

Every team will have $2.9M to spend in international bonus money this season. Money is not tradeable this year.

JeffPassan

Sources: Cubans under 23 years old and with less than three years in pro ball will be considered "amateurs" and count against int'l bonus $.

JeffPassan

What MLB wanted more than anything with draft is players to get selected in order of talent. MLB believes this system will force that.

JeffPassan

Worst teams, for example, will receive ~$5M in int'l $. Best teams will get ~$1.8M. Not sure on exact figures for draft, but similar %.

JeffPassan

Draft signing deadline moves from Aug. 15 to between July 12 and 18.

JeffPassan

If a player signs after the 10th round for more than $100,000, the excess money will go against a team's draft pool.

Say goodbye to guys like Destin Hood ever choosing Baseball again.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #21: November 22, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »
Wow, that is complete and utter bull-freaking-crap.

Pardon my language.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #22: November 22, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »
Wow, that is complete and utter bull-freaking-crap.

Pardon my language.

Basically, it seems that MLB wants to artificially water down its own talent pool... cause no way any young athlete will choose a baseball contract when it's in line with slotting recommendations.

I don't get it.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #23: November 22, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
JeffPassan

Very interesting: There is a "competitive balance lottery" that awards lowest-revenue and smallest-market teams extra draft picks.

JeffPassan

There will be six draft picks immediately after the first round given out via lottery to teams with 10 lowest revenues, 10 smallest markets.

JeffPassan

From an MLB/MLBPA release: "A club’s odds of winning the lottery will be based on its prior season’s winning percentage."

JeffPassan

For the teams that don't get one of those six picks, they will be entered in another lottery open for all teams w/ 6 picks after 2nd round.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #24: November 22, 2011, 01:19:28 PM »
SI_JonHeyman

Drafted players may only sign minor-league deals now. #MLB, #cba