Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158040 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2025: November 19, 2011, 08:33:16 PM »
No actual pumpkin, but a bunch of pumpkin pie spices.

Why not include the real thing?  No objection to the spices from me, but I would think a pumkin porter ought to have some actual pumkin too.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2026: November 20, 2011, 12:53:35 AM »
My Terp - you're so demanding !

Why not include the real thing?  No objection to the spices from me, but I would think a pumkin porter ought to have some actual pumkin too.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2027: November 20, 2011, 07:40:24 AM »
Pumpkin itself, alone, doesn't really have any flavor. It does add a little bit of smoothness to the mouthfeel.

Next year, I'll add some canned pumpkin, for you.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2028: November 20, 2011, 08:55:02 AM »
Pumpkin itself, alone, doesn't really have any flavor. It does add a little bit of smoothness to the mouthfeel.

Next year, I'll add some canned pumpkin, for you.

All this pumpkin talk is making me itchy to crack open a bottle of my holiday ale (dark ale plus holiday/pumpkin spices), I bottled a week ago, so I guess it's time to crack one to test carbonation/whatever other excuse

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2029: December 01, 2011, 07:49:40 AM »
Last night, I spoke with the man from Sierra Nevada that organized the food truck dinner in Das Bullpen last September.  He said they were very happy with the event and plan on another one next summer.  We thought the food was awesome.  Also, the Life & Limb beer collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish was excellant.

Sierra Nevada just tapped a red ipa at Fireworks Pizza in Arlington (near the Courthouse metro) that was made for us hopheads.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2030: December 01, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
Last night, I spoke with the man from Sierra Nevada that organized the food truck dinner in Das Bullpen last September.  He said they were very happy with the event and plan on another one next summer.  We thought the food was awesome.  Also, the Life & Limb beer collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish was excellant.

Sierra Nevada just tapped a red ipa at Fireworks Pizza in Arlington (near the Courthouse metro) that was made for us hopheads.

I haven't has a Sierra Nevada product in a long time, I'll have to pick some up this weekend.  I'm also going to look for some mead for Skyrim time :-[

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2031: December 02, 2011, 01:19:57 AM »
Sam Adams chocolate bock is actually pretty good.  Might try a bottle on the way to work to see how it holds up to sunlight.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2032: December 02, 2011, 07:09:30 AM »
He said they were very happy with the event and plan on another one next summer.

Good to hear. Hopefully it will be run by someone other than Georgetown events.

The final Truckeroo of the year was held this past Friday at Das Bullpen. And it was not without a few bumps in the road, as evidenced by the open letter posted on the DC Food Truck Association Web site apologizing for a last-minute $1 cover charge at the door. The DCFTA is also sorry about the fact that, due to rainy weather, the event ended hours prior to the advertised midnight closing time. The letter asserts that the truck owners "had absolutely no control over this decision," clarifying that the event host, Georgetown Events, was responsible for the changes.

Georgetown Events owner Bo Blair says the suggested donation became mandatory when the first hundred-odd visitors didn't offer contributions. "We were hoping people would be generous enough to say, 'I'll give five dollars!' I'll give ten!'" says Blair.  "Not only was that not the case, so many people were such jerks that they didn't give anything."

Blair says it was a mistake on his company's part, and that the wording on flyers should have read "suggested minimum donation" of a dollar. The intent all along was for the event to be a fundraiser. "Bottom line is, if someone doesn't want to give a dollar for charity, we'd rather they not come," says Blair.

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticles/restaurants/bestbites/21425.html

After an unaccounced $1 cover, those assholdes refused to make change, and the lines got borked. For those who did manage to get a dollar or got one from a friend who had made it inside, they shut it down early. After that he starts calling people jerks for not carrying a dollar around in their pocket. If that same outfit is involved, I will have to put some serious thought into it before deciding to attend.

This has nothing to do the food trucks, I love them. Thank the gods we finally have some good options for street food that isn't out of the back of someone's car.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #2033: December 02, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »
After an unaccounced $1 cover, those assholdes refused to make change, and the lines got borked. For those who did manage to get a dollar or got one from a friend who had made it inside, they shut it down early. After that he starts calling people jerks for not carrying a dollar around in their pocket. If that same outfit is involved, I will have to put some serious thought into it before deciding to attend.
This has nothing to do the food trucks, I love them. Thank the gods we finally have some good options for street food that isn't out of the back of someone's car.
         Well, I don't want to start a pissing contest here - but it was for charity, not for free-loaders. Anyone who thinks that $1 donation is too much for charitable cause is in general a "cheap bastard' and an "uber scrooge". And who doesn't at least carry a $1.00 or change around with them? What century and/or world are these people living in........... :doh:  I mean a credit card is not going to pay for everything, all the time - some places only take cash, and that includes events.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2034: December 02, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »
I haven't has a Sierra Nevada product in a long time, I'll have to pick some up this weekend.  I'm also going to look for some mead for Skyrim time :-[
I still have some blueberry melomel on my shelves - it's mead with a few pounds of blueberries boiled into it. After I year or so in the bottle it was really good.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2035: December 02, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »
Isn't that pretty old for beer-like stuff?  Or does mead have a longer shelf life?

I still have some blueberry melomel on my shelves - it's mead with a few pounds of blueberries boiled into it. After I year or so in the bottle it was really good.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2036: December 02, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »
I hear ya.  We bought 30 raffle tickets and were rewarded by winning a raffle for the Life & Limb poster.  It looks awesome after having it framed.

Well, I don't want to start a pissing contest here - but it was for charity, not for free-loaders. Anyone who thinks that $1 donation is too much for charitable cause is in general a "cheap bastard' and an "uber scrooge". And who doesn't at least carry a $1.00 or change around with them? What century and/or world are these people living in........... :doh:  I mean a credit card is not going to pay for everything, all the time - some places only take cash, and that includes events.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2037: December 02, 2011, 01:48:51 PM »
Isn't that pretty old for beer-like stuff?  Or does mead have a longer shelf life?

The Mead/Melomel seems to hold up better than beer. I found that with some of the beers, if they sit around they lose thier hops. That is, whatever was in there for bittering or aroma tends to disappear. And you end up with a bottle of something with little to no aroma or bitterness.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2038: December 02, 2011, 06:27:54 PM »

I stopped by Fireworks and ordered the Sierra Torpedo IPA, a real nice beer that was labelled as being the first one tapped in Virginia, but I asked the bartender if this was the one I had read about and she replied "no".  The one they tapped at 4 on Wednesday was kicked by 7.  They're tapping another one next week, likely on Monday.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2039: December 02, 2011, 06:38:32 PM »
Not all chartiies are good causes. Better to direct your chartiable giving to the most efficent and effective organizations although $1 is insignificant.

And who doesn't at least carry a $1.00 or change around with them?

Going by the numbers of angry people standing outside, a lot of people. Big difference between not carrying cash and being expected to carry exact change without notice. It seems slipshod to not provide an accurate discription. It seems extreme at best to label people "jerks" for not wanting to fork over a $20. It won't change my attendence but I will now warn friends each time they mandate "charity".

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #2040: December 02, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »
Hate to confess this, but I often don't carry any cash. That said, we are big supporters of our favorite charities and also do a lot of volunteer work, so if I showed up to support couldn't, it would be frustrating. Sorry for the run-on sentence, mods.....

Offline blue911

« Reply #2041: December 02, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »
Hate to confess this, but I often don't carry any cash. That said, we are big supporters of our favorite charities and also do a lot of volunteer work, so if I showed up to support couldn't, it would be frustrating. Sorry for the run-on sentence, mods.....

FMAC

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #2042: December 02, 2011, 07:04:03 PM »

Offline blue911

« Reply #2043: December 02, 2011, 07:06:02 PM »
FMANC! :)

ya blue bastard!

I prefer the term Love Child

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #2044: December 02, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
I prefer the term Love Child

Hmph. Don't forget, I know what you look like.  :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2045: December 02, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »
Hmph. Don't forget, I know what you look like.  :lol:

How does Blue look in the dim light of late evening - 5.5 maybe?   

:shrug:

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2046: December 03, 2011, 07:26:48 PM »
Wow.  I was one of the lucky ones last Wednesday.  Monday sounds good ...

I stopped by Fireworks and ordered the Sierra Torpedo IPA, a real nice beer that was labelled as being the first one tapped in Virginia, but I asked the bartender if this was the one I had read about and she replied "no".  The one they tapped at 4 on Wednesday was kicked by 7.  They're tapping another one next week, likely on Monday.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2047: December 04, 2011, 03:00:28 PM »
had Six Point Rye IPA. Didnt really seem at all hoppy like an IPA. Actually kinda tasted a little like pretzels at times. Pretty unique

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2048: December 07, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
Does anyone know a good website to get beer making equipment ?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2049: December 07, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Northern Brewer, Williams Brewing, Mr Beer if you just want easy