Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 161353 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #1975: September 17, 2011, 08:02:57 AM »
Dinklelager has beers with zip

which ones?  Spatan is pretty good from what I recall, though after actually attending Oktoberfest a few years ago in Germany, it's depressing drinking Oktoberfest beer in the U.S. this time of year.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1976: September 17, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »
O'zapft is!!!!!

Oktoberfest 2011 Has Begun!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #1977: September 17, 2011, 10:38:59 AM »
which ones?  Spatan is pretty good from what I recall, though after actually attending Oktoberfest a few years ago in Germany, it's depressing drinking Oktoberfest beer in the U.S. this time of year.

whatever they have a biergarten haus if it isnt too crowded. i think i saw paulaner, becks, spaten last year. they'll probably have like 5 or 6

Online imref

« Reply #1978: September 17, 2011, 10:52:52 AM »
whatever they have a biergarten haus if it isnt too crowded. i think i saw paulaner, becks, spaten last year. they'll probably have like 5 or 6

wegman's usually has a very good selection of German beers as well, I buy Weihenstephaner there.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1979: September 17, 2011, 02:50:14 PM »
Rodman's has a great selection of German beer and food (including that head-clearing "sehr scharf" mustard in the toothpaste tube).

Online imref

« Reply #1980: September 17, 2011, 04:54:21 PM »
Rodman's has a great selection of German beer and food (including that head-clearing "sehr scharf" mustard in the toothpaste tube).

unfortunately there isn't one in Virginia.  There is the German Gourmet in Falls Church.

And as an aside - when I punch in "nearest german restaurant" into my Nav, it gives me "Frank & Stein"  - that is so wrong on so many levels. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1981: September 17, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »
unfortunately there isn't one in Virginia.  There is the German Gourmet in Falls Church.

I need to learn a bit more about German beers, I stop by the German Gourmet on the way home from work every once and a while to grab some brats to go and I always stick with Becks or Pilsner Urquel.

Online imref

« Reply #1982: September 17, 2011, 11:51:09 PM »
I need to learn a bit more about German beers, I stop by the German Gourmet on the way home from work every once and a while to grab some brats to go and I always stick with Becks or Pilsner Urquel.

Have you had their pretzels?  Not quite the foot-wide monsters you can find in Munich, but they are really good with a hard, crusty outside and soft inside.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #1983: September 18, 2011, 12:11:24 AM »

is it like wasabi where your face goes numb for a milisecond and it feels like your brain leaks out your nose then it goes away and you are good to go

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1984: September 18, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »
We made it to the Dogfish for 2IPAs birthday last night.  She liked the Pumkin Ale alot.  It was a little too sweet for my taste.  But it was really good when mixed with a 90 Minute IPA

Dogfish Ale House in Falls Church is celebrating its 4th b-day on Sunday. Maybe they'll have some punkin' then.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1985: September 18, 2011, 09:14:59 AM »
Have you had their pretzels?  Not quite the foot-wide monsters you can find in Munich, but they are really good with a hard, crusty outside and soft inside.

I'll try one next time.  My wife is a big fan of their cakes.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1986: September 18, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »

Rodman's has a huge selection of AWESOMESAUCE - they have Hebrew and Skullsplitter all the time. My friend and I paid 10 bucks at the 930 club for skullsplitters, totally worth it to enjoy them while watching Volbeat.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1987: September 20, 2011, 07:13:06 AM »
Anybody been to the Public House #7 in Falls Church?   What's the verdict?     I keep plannin' to stop by on a weekend.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #1988: September 21, 2011, 09:52:52 AM »

And as an aside - when I punch in "nearest german restaurant" into my Nav, it gives me "Frank & Stein"  - that is so wrong on so many levels. 

Just to make sure nobody gets confused, the German Gourmet location in the City of Falls Church (Washington Street/US-29) closed a few years ago because the owners consolidated it with the location on Columbia Pike just west of Bailey's Crossroads (immediately west of the strip mall where Best Buy is). The USPS still says the address of the Columbia Pike store is a Falls Church address, but it's not in a location most people think of when they hear "Falls Church."

I believe the current location is in the old Dak's Grill building.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1990: September 21, 2011, 09:01:06 PM »
We have - it's a nice place with music.  Loose Cannon on tap (among other taps).  Get the Lamb Shank if you have dinner.

Anybody been to the Public House #7 in Falls Church?   What's the verdict?     I keep plannin' to stop by on a weekend.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1991: September 21, 2011, 09:09:18 PM »
Really enjoyed the Dogfish Raison d'Etre the other night from the Porch bar. Of course, this was after drinking a 60 minute, so I probably would have enjoyed Minty's elbow wash water.  :)

That Raison d'Etre is the top beer in Nats Park right now.

Definite ass-kicker, too.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1992: September 21, 2011, 09:33:26 PM »
I disagree.  The best beer is 1/2 60 Minute IPA with 1/2 Flying Dog IPA

That Raison d'Etre is the top beer in Nats Park right now.

Definite ass-kicker, too.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1993: September 21, 2011, 10:20:43 PM »

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1995: September 22, 2011, 03:55:09 PM »
My mother got me a home brew kit for my birthday, so here goes a huge chunk of time

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1996: September 22, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »
I take it she knows you well.  Not something my parental units would have bought

My mother got me a home brew kit for my birthday, so here goes a huge chunk of time

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #1997: September 23, 2011, 01:22:30 PM »

I homebrew pretty regularly, let me know if you need any tips...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1998: September 23, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »
I homebrew pretty regularly, let me know if you need any tips...

I've got the Williams step by step with dvd for my first batch- I'm sure after that I'll be asking for help.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1999: September 25, 2011, 09:46:39 AM »
MadFox in Falls Church has a wonderful Octoberfest on tap