Author Topic: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch  (Read 74207 times)

Offline blue911

Re: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch
« Reply #350: August 01, 2011, 09:07:59 AM »
It was encouraging, and surprising to me, that they actually got Purke to tour Nats Park.  Obviously not a Boras client.

You don't let a Matt Purke type talent fall into your lap, then squander the opportunity by quibbling over a few mil. To sum it all up: Maya got $6M, Wang got $3M why not show some red-blooded Mericans some love?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #351: August 01, 2011, 09:11:58 AM »
You don't let a Matt Purke type talent fall into your lap, then squander the opportunity by quibbling over a few mil. To sum it all up: Maya got $6M, Wang got $3M why not show some red-blooded Mericans some love?

that's the logical way to look at it, but not pissing off bud and his precious slotting by giving a third rounder number 1 over all money

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #352: August 01, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »
It's a lose-lose for us: if he thinks he's pitched as well as he can already and doesn't want us to know he's finished, he will sign. If he thinks he will improve a ton next year and could go No 1 overall, he will not sign.

Would we draft him again. We will probably have a top ten pick and I don't think he will go in the top three because of injury issues.

Offline blue911

« Reply #353: August 01, 2011, 09:18:52 AM »
that's the logical way to look at it, but not pissing off bud and his precious slotting by giving a third rounder number 1 over all money

Slotting is for bonus money. Give Purke a MLB contract and work the real money in as salary.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #354: August 01, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
Nats have not shown any reservation about paying first round money for later round drafts. I don't see that as an issue. If Purke doesn't sign, it's because he wants to roll the dice and go 1 overall (top 5 at the minimum) in next year's draft.

Offline blue911

« Reply #355: August 01, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »
Nats have not shown any reservation about paying first round money for later round drafts. I don't see that as an issue. If Purke doesn't sign, it's because he wants to roll the dice and go 1 overall (top 5 at the minimum) in next year's draft.

It's been well established that Purke's demands are high, he spurned the $4M in '09. He is also Sophomore Eligible which makes drafting him, without the intent on paying somewhere near the Rick Porcello deal (around $7M) foolish. This isn't a case of a draftee changing his mind or playing some sort of game but a player that has already established what it will take to close the deal.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #356: August 01, 2011, 10:09:40 AM »
It's been well established that Purke's demands are high, he spurned the $4M in '09. He is also Sophomore Eligible which makes drafting him, without the intent on paying somewhere near the Rick Porcello deal (around $7M) foolish. This isn't a case of a draftee changing his mind or playing some sort of game but a player that has already established what it will take to close the deal.

He was a high risk signing regardless and frankly, $7 million for a guy coming off what could be a serious injury, is ABSURD. $4 million, do it, pull the trigger, sign him, $7million is ridiculous.  And considering how far he fell, I think it's been made very clear that no club had any intention of paying him $7million.

Offline zoom

« Reply #357: August 01, 2011, 10:24:23 AM »
WPA,  I completely agree.  Purke and his agent have to know that there are risks on their side (injury and more stringent slotting in the future).  4 million offer and call it a day. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #358: August 01, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »

This.

If the Nats drafted him, they are either prepared to pay his asking price, or they didn't feel like spending money on a third round pick. There's no last minute dealing here. They knew what to expect in terms of payment the moment they drafted him.

Offline blue911

« Reply #359: August 01, 2011, 10:30:10 AM »
He was a high risk signing regardless and frankly, $7 million for a guy coming off what could be a serious injury, is ABSURD. $4 million, do it, pull the trigger, sign him, $7million is ridiculous.  And considering how far he fell, I think it's been made very clear that no club had any intention of paying him $7million.

Absurd? They paid Marquis more than that for 2010. They're paying LaRoche more than that for this season. The money spent on Purke, locks him up for the next 8-10 years. It's pennies on the dollar.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #360: August 01, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »
This.

If the Nats drafted him, they are either prepared to pay his asking price, or they didn't feel like spending money on a third round pick. There's no last minute dealing here. They knew what to expect in terms of payment the moment they drafted him.

I'll take didn't feel like spending money for 500 Alex

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #361: August 01, 2011, 10:34:58 AM »
This.

Bryce Harper, the best hitting prospect in a generation, got $9million. There is not a club on the planet that is going to pay Purke, an injured pitcher, $7million. He's not even pitching this summer. If that's his final demand, than his expectations are unreasonable.

But, perhaps he'd be willing to listen to other offers, still take several million, get healthy, get signed, get his clock started so he can really get a big pay day? Maybe that's the case. Afterall, going back into the draft is a big risk too.

The Nats took a flyer, I'd like him signed certainly, but I think $7million is absurd.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #362: August 01, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
Absurd? They paid Marquis more than that for 2010. They're paying LaRoche more than that for this season. The money spent on Purke, locks him up for the next 8-10 years. It's pennies on the dollar.

Killing it this morning, blue.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #363: August 01, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
The Nats took a flyer, I'd like him signed certainly, but I think $7million is absurd.

It's only money and as many of the LANC crowd like to say - they like to spend it on the draft...

Offline blue911

« Reply #364: August 01, 2011, 10:40:01 AM »
Last year the Nats set the record for the most bonus money ever paid to a draft class. $11.9M, Oliver Perez is making more than that this season. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #365: August 01, 2011, 10:40:47 AM »
This.

This doesn't make sense.  If they don't sign him, it's because they don't feel like spending money on a third round pick?  You don't think it's possible that they take a shot at bringing his demands down to a more reasonable range and failing that, just pocket the make up pick next year?  It seems like almost like an all reward, no risk draft pick.

There are lots of things the Lerners have done to show that they are 'budget conscious' to put it nicely.  The Purke pick shouldn't really reflect cheapness if they don't sign him.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #366: August 01, 2011, 10:41:03 AM »
It's only money and as many of the LANC crowd like to say - they like to spend it on the draft...

Oh sure, and hope I'm not offending any prospect haters here, but the draft is a far cheaper way to acquire top talent then the alternative - free agent signing.  But the desire of every club to hold the line and not simply pay whatever is asked by the prospective prospect means that once in a while no agreement is reached, and the player goes back into the pool again, a la Crow.  

If the Nats think $4m for Purke is the right number, but Purke is convinced $7m is his birthright, then no basis for a compromise would appear to be relatively achievable.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #367: August 01, 2011, 10:41:22 AM »
Marquis and LaRoche are proven major league veterans. Purke is an injured pitcher that's never played in a professional game in his life.  There is no comparison.

Look, I'm 100% behind spending lavishly on the draft. I applaud the efforts they've made so far. My real issue with Purke is that he's injured and that he's not even playing summer ball, which is a huge red flag for me. If he wasn't injured, this would be a completely different conversation in my eyes.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #368: August 01, 2011, 10:45:26 AM »
I still think it's worth throwing $2.5M at him. Spreading that out over the years they have him under control (six plus), it's a gamble worth taking

Offline RD

« Reply #369: August 01, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »
He supposedly agreed to a $6mill deal out of HS, so I don't see why, coming off the injury, it'd take $7mill to sign him.

I think he could come for $4mill. That may be as high as I'd go considering there is some risk there. Since we will get a full medical done before the contract is official, I am ok paying him big money. Just not $7mill. There's no justification for that.

If he does hold firm at $6, then we take the comp pick. Not that big of a deal. I really hope we get him signed though. This is a chance of really load up in one draft, and a lefty with his ability could eventually slot him between Strasburg and Zimmermann, and give us a filthy front 3.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #370: August 01, 2011, 10:56:25 AM »
I'd cry uncle at $7M BUT if he wants $7M then no major league contract. If he wants a major league contract, he needs to take less

Offline NatsGM

« Reply #371: August 01, 2011, 01:01:12 PM »
As good a prospect as Matt Purke is (or was in his freshman year) he simply isn't worth a $5 million plus bonus... If he wants to turn down $3mm to $4mm, let that be his cross to bear.  He would be crazy as a pitcher with some history of shoulder problems to turn down that figure.  If he does, fine, sign the two Mississippi HS kids Buchanan and Laxor, along with Mooneyham and save the excess to put into next years draft budget. 

Offline RD

« Reply #372: August 01, 2011, 01:05:34 PM »
I know shoulder injuries are always concerning, but it turned out to not be serious. That doesn't mean it's ignored, but let's be honest - Every pitcher at some point has had some form of arm discomfort/pain. Its not like he's coming off labrum surgery or anything. Like I said, you don't ignore it, but you don't write him off because of it as well. $5mill would probably be hard to swallow, but I think its worth a risk in paying him quite well, because if he didn't have that little bout, we nevver would have had a chance to select him, even at 6.

Offline TheCerebral1

« Reply #373: August 01, 2011, 01:27:42 PM »
At this point the team should be trying to sign everyone.  Just sign him, this team is growing through the draft.  Purke is an asset. 

Offline NatsGM

« Reply #374: August 01, 2011, 01:30:37 PM »
RD... respectfully disagree with you, even if he were completely healthy, I think he would struggle to get a $5 million bonus.  Less than three players per year receive that type of straight bonus.  Shoot, Bauer who was the golden spikes winner and number 3 pick received a $3.4 million bonus last week.

I have spent a great deal of my fanhood in the LAC crowd, but if they offered Purke $3.5mm and the kid walked, I would absolutely no problem with that.  He would be flat crazy to turn that down