Author Topic: Vince Lombardi and the battle of quotes  (Read 4114 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Vince Lombardi and the battle of quotes
« Topic Start: October 13, 2012, 10:01:15 AM »
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt.  Natitude

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that! I'm always gonna love you no matter what. No matter what happens

Rocky Balboa, Natitude

Offline CALSGR8

Change Title to Battle of the Quotes

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Change Title to Battle of the Quotes

Pls. change title to most predictable thread ever. Thanks.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Quote from: Ricky_Bobby
If you ain't first, you're last.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Quote from: cmdterps44
:w: e suck

Offline Baseball is Life

This is beyond stupid. I'd like to think we've evolved as sports fans beyond this but apparently not.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Youb ebolbed?  Goot por joose, buh Ricky Bobby tulls id ligh id ib.

+1

Offline Baseball is Life

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline USF_Football

Re: Vince Lombardi and the battle of quotes
« Reply #11: October 13, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
Think it's crap that someone (assuming it was a mod) can modify a thread... remove multiple posts by the original poster (especially the first post of the thread) that were non-offensive and within bulletin board guidelines. WTF?

That same WTF sums up how much of a failure Rizzo was with his horrible mismanagement of the Strasburg situation. Hope Boras and Rizzo choke on their food tonight.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #12: October 13, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »
"Now, now, my good man, this is no time  for making enemies"

- Voltair, while on his deathbed, after a priest asked him to renounce Satan

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #13: October 13, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
Think it's crap that someone (assuming it was a mod) can modify a thread... remove multiple posts by the original poster (especially the first post of the thread) that were non-offensive and within bulletin board guidelines. WTF?

That same WTF sums up how much of a failure Rizzo was with his horrible mismanagement of the Strasburg situation. Hope Boras and Rizzo choke on their food tonight.

There were literally three "let's criticize the shutdown of strasburg now that we have lost or about were about to lose in the playoffs" threads on the first two pages of the message board.  Everyone of your original posts and the associated replies were put in the consolidated thread and I think kept this title so you could spot them.  We try to avoid too many duplicate threads.  I believe, but am not sure, that when you sign up to post here you are asked to look at the first few pages before starting a new thread. 

The quote stuff was distinct from the main subject of your post.  You had the topic name, but then posted off topic.  Other posters came up with other famous quotes about dealing with difficult times, so that seemed like worth breaking off from the criticism of Strasburg's handling.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #14: October 13, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »
By the way, the criticism of the Strasburg decision is in the thread with the obscure title "The Strasburg Mistake."  Nothing was removed from any of the threads dealing with that decision.  all the replies are there.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #15: October 13, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt.  Natitude

Cals, you are a hero.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #16: October 13, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »
Cals, you are a hero.

She sure shows fortitude and resolve at a time when others are pouting and scapegoating.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #17: October 15, 2012, 05:16:01 AM »
Thanks guys.  I thought if Mark DeRosa could read it to the team; I could take the most quoted portion and use it to put salve on our wounds.