Author Topic: Now this REALLY pisses me off! I'm boycotting MADE-IN CHINA!!!  (Read 1748 times)

Offline kimnat

Toothpaste, petfood, paint in kids toys are bad enough!  But you all already know my story with Andrew.  This is the end of the line for me with "MADE IN CHINA" products!!!!  They're drug production companies do not have safe guards in place to protect the consumers and products.  The item that tainted these drugs is another drug called Vincristine.  Vincristine is another cancer drug that is used commonly with lymphoma patients and was one Andrew received.  It did the job, but it is a rough, hard med!  Even in small doses, it has some really rough side/late effects - which 9 mo. after treatment, he is still experiencing. 

The Chinese obviously lack proper safe guards from contaminating one drug with another!  This is ineptitude in its greatest form!!!!  From now on, I am looking closely at labels and will not knowingly buy another product from China for as long as possible!  This hits too close to home for me and is unacceptable!

China Recalls Tainted Leukemia Drugs
Sunday, September 16, 2007

BEIJING —  Chinese authorities ordered the recall of tainted leukemia drugs blamed for leg pains and other problems, state media reported Sunday, the latest crisis to strike the country's embattled food and drug industries.

Most of the drugs involved — methotrexate and cytarabin hydrochloride — have been recovered and authorities have traced the remainder, the Xinhua News Agency said. The report did not say if any of the drugs had been exported.

Authorities have banned the sale and distribution of the drugs, produced by the Shanghai Hualian Pharmaceutical Co., it said.

China, a major global supplier, has been facing growing international pressure to improve the quality of its exports after dangerous toxins — from lead to an antifreeze ingredient — were found in goods including toys and toothpaste.

China has been eager to cast itself as a victim, too, of unsafe imports. Xinhua on Saturday announced that inspectors recently found residue of the banned stimulant ractopamine in frozen pig kidneys imported from the United States and frozen pork spareribs from Canada. The names of the exporting companies were not identified. Ractopamine is forbidden for use as veterinary medicine in China.

Xinhua said the 18.37 tons of frozen pork kidneys and 24 tons of frozen pork had been returned to importers exporters, said the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ).

Ractopamine, a hormone that promotes the growth of lean meat in pigs and cattle, is banned by China and most other countries as a health hazard, although its use in stock animals is permitted in the U.S. and Canada. China has also recently banned imports of U.S. meat contaminated with salmonella, additives, and veterinary drugs.

Xinhua said the State Food and Drug Administration and Health Ministry banned the two leukemia drugs after several child leukemia patients who were taking them complained of leg pains and difficulty walking. Xinhua said some patients also complained of urine retention.

It said the Health Ministry and drug administration had traced the problems with the drugs to their being tainted with vincristine sulfate, an anticancer drug. Xinhua said factories manufacturing the drugs had been closed.

China has taken a series of steps to crackdown on tainted drugs and other unsafe products, in part due to concern over the reputation of its exports.

In the harshest action so far, the country's former top drug regulator was executed in July for taking millions of dollars in bribes to approve substandard medicines, including an antibiotic that killed at least 10 people.

nospinzone1

KIMSY BABY: FOR YEARS I HAVE TRIED TO AVOID BUYING PRODUCTS MADE IN CHINA SINCE THEY USE POLITICAL PRISONERS IN THEIR FACTORIES. THEY ARE A CRUEL SANGUINARY REPRESSIVE REGIME.

AS THE GRAMMARIeN of THE SITE I MOST TELL YOU THAT SAFEGUARD IS ONE WORD.LOL. THE OLD PROOFREADER AT THE COMPOST COMES OUT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE.JIJIJI

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Kim,

Its real hard to boycott it totally since some toys may come with COMPONENTS made in China.  I saw a story on it on one news station recently.

Its like trying to buy an All American Made Car.  Some Japanese companies have a deal with a US company who puts their name on a Japanese car.  Years ago that's what happened with the Chevy Geo Sedan.  It was really a Toyota Corolla.

Also, some US companies put in some Japanese parts.

Its soooo hard, but understand your frustration.

nospinzone1

Kim,

Its real hard to boycott it totally since some toys may come with COMPONENTS made in China.  I saw a story on it on one news station recently.

Its like trying to buy an All American Made Car.  Some Japanese companies have a deal with a US company who puts their name on a Japanese car.  Years ago that's what happened with the Chevy Geo Sedan.  It was really a Toyota Corolla.

EXCEPT THAT JAPAN IS NOT TRYING TO POISON US OR USE POLITICAL PRISONERS IN THEIR FACTORIES.

Offline kimnat

Kim,

I know, that's why I said "knowingly".  But thanks for understanding.  I just hope that none of it was exported!

Hey, thanks for riding with us today!  It was fun having  you with us!

Offline NatsAddict

Just wondering, speaking of China...

I don't know if it is a cultural thing or not, but if you pay cash at a Chinese restaurant, look to see if they ring up the sale.  I've been to hundreds of Chinese restaurants, and there has only ever been one that has rung a cash sale.  They generally just hit no sale and make change, or just keep the drawer open and use it as a cash box.  Think they pay their taxes?

nospinzone1

I don't know if it is a cultural thing or not, but if you pay cash at a Chinese restaurant, look to see if they ring up the sale.  I've been to hundreds of Chinese restaurants, and there has only ever been one that has rung a cash sale.  They generally just hit no sale and make change, or just keep the drawer open and use it as a cash box.  Think they pay their taxes?

FROM MY 53 YEARS OF OBSRVATION IN THE U.S., NOT ONLY CHINESE BUT ALL ETHNIC BUSINESSES ARE VERY CREATIVE IN TRYING TO EVADE TAXES. MOR ESO THAN SOME AMERICANS. LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO "POLLO SOMETHING" RECENTLY WHERE THEY GOT THE FOUR OWNERS DOING SOME HANKY PANKY.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Ha ha, there goes that CPA thing rearing its ugly head.  We used to have a deli in our building that had a daily special, $5 including taxes.  They would always ring up other sales, but on the specials they'd just pop the drawer open, though the register would make noises they never recorded the sale.  For one thing, they are potentially avoiding taxes (if they actually have a profit) and for another, many leases have a variable component tied to gross revenue, and so they'd be avoiding a lease expense by doing so.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
The tax evasion is one part of it, but another (especially in certain parts of the country) is money laundering. 

Ha ha, there goes that CPA thing rearing its ugly head.  We used to have a deli in our building that had a daily special, $5 including taxes.  They would always ring up other sales, but on the specials they'd just pop the drawer open, though the register would make noises they never recorded the sale.  For one thing, they are potentially avoiding taxes (if they actually have a profit) and for another, many leases have a variable component tied to gross revenue, and so they'd be avoiding a lease expense by doing so.

Offline NatsAddict

I hadn't thought of the the lease aspect, but that could be another decent chunk of change.  I think VA and MD used to have a sales tax on food served in restaurants.  FL does, and those sales taxes aren't getting paid, either.  If they're gonna collect the sales tax from me, I'd appreciate them remitting it to the state.

We had a pub that avoided paying liquor taxes.  I received my bill only to find I had a burger and a couple "dinner salads." 

Offline kimnat

I hadn't thought of the money laundering.  Don't local agencies drop in quietly on these places and observe?

Offline saltydad

I hadn't thought of the money laundering.  Don't local agencies drop in quietly on these places and observe?
Remember the recent case of the chicken place here in Wheaton, caught for maoney laundering, illlegal immigrant employment, tax evasion, etc. BTW, it's open again; serves the best chicken!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
"El Padrino" on the corner of Columbia and Ontario Roads here in the 'hood was busted for all of those transgressions, as well as...slavery.  How very 18th century...to think that i was buying 6-packs of Red Stripe and late night flan from slavers. 

Remember the recent case of the chicken place here in Wheaton, caught for maoney laundering, illlegal immigrant employment, tax evasion, etc. BTW, it's open again; serves the best chicken!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I think VA and MD used to have a sales tax on food served in restaurants.  FL does, and those sales taxes aren't getting paid, either.  If they're gonna collect the sales tax from me, I'd appreciate them remitting it to the state.

Now that's an angle I hadn't thought of.  Some restaurant / entertainment taxes can be stiff, and if they pocket those that's a substantial extra margin.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
Is now when someone should say something about Illegals;)

Offline NatsAddict

Ok, not only are the poisoning our cats. Oh, no.  They didn't stop there!  This is what they do with them after poisoning them:  Cat Food (sound clip).

Offline kimnat

Oooooo!  That's bad funny!

Offline CALSGR8

Ok, not only are the poisoning our cats. Oh, no.  They didn't stop there!  This is what they do with them after poisoning them:  Cat Food (sound clip).

Is that a Weird Al tune?

nospinzone1

yeah, me; send them all back or hang them from a sour apple tree.

Offline NatsAddict

Rugao Hongxin Soap Factory [in China], is a specialized wholesale supplier of Fancy Soap, Toilet Soap, Soap, Soap, Skin Care, Others, Detergent, Tide Detergent, Fab Detergent, Gain Detergent, Dishwasher Detergent, Dish Detergent, Ajax Dish Detergent, Dishwasher Cleaning Detergent, Dawn Dishwashing Detergent, Sunlight Detergent, Detergent Cake. We welcome queries from our prospects and look forward to join hands with them to strengthen our endeavors. We are committed to a quick and prompt feedback regarding the details of our products and services.
Sulekhab B2B

We used Gain for laundry, Sunlight (sometime Cascade) in the dishwasher, and Dawn or hand-washing dishes.  I can't believe we have to import soap.  Time to switch to Cascade only, but it's probably made by another Chinese company.

Offline kimnat

I tried Tide this once, switching back to ALL.

Offline CALSGR8

Arm and Hammer for me.  Green cap for sensitive skin!

Offline NatsAddict

I've been kind of skeptical of how much of the stories regarding Chinese defective products are true, and how much is hype in an attempt to hide our own fault in the trade deficit with China.  China has also been rejecting massive amounts of US products, primarily supposedly tainted food, in this little peeing contest.

This story probably has some truth in that much of the defects by China were fabricated stories, or at the minimum stories where the goods were made to specifications of a poor US design and China was still blamed, but also has some truth in that this apology is a financial matter moreso than a manufacturing concern.

US toy company Mattel apologizes to China over recalls
(AP)
22 September 2007

LOS ANGELES -Mattel Inc. tried to save face with Chinese officials, taking the blame for the recent recalls of millions of Chinese-made toys as it strives to mend a strained relationship with the nation that makes most of its toys and fattens its profit.

The world’s largest toy maker sent a top executive to personally apologize to China’s product safety chief, Li Changjang, as reporters and company lawyers looked on.

Mattel takes full responsibility for these recalls and apologizes personally to you, the Chinese people, and all of our customers who received the toys,’ Thomas A. Debrowski, Mattel’s executive vice president for worldwide operations, told Li on Friday.

The unusual move reflects how invested El Segundo, California-based Mattel has become in China.

Mattel certainly must have been facing some pressure to do that, because you can’t imagine why they would be trying to push this story along any further,’ said Eric Johnson, a professor of operations management at Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College.

He suggested Mattel may want to prevent China from imposing more taxes or regulations.

China’s embarrassment in all this could lead to that, and I think they were trying to head that off with this apology,’ Johnson said.

Peter Navarro, a business professor at the University of California, Irvine, and the author of The Coming China Wars,’ also suggested Mattel was trying to avoid punitive measures.

Mattel is worried that the Chinese government is going to make it difficult for them to produce, put their costs up and hurt their stock price,’ Navarro said.

In a prepared statement issued later Friday, the company said some media accounts of its meeting with Chinese officials had been mischaracterized.

Since Mattel toys are sold the world over, Mattel apologized to the Chinese today just as it has wherever its toys are sold,’ the company said.

Mattel stock has fallen from the mid-$23 level following the first recall in early August to a low of $20.97 on Sept. 10. Shares have since rebounded, increasing 38 cents, or 1.6 percent, to $23.94 on Friday.

The apology came ahead of an expected visit to China by Mattel’s Chairman and Chief Executive Robert A. Eckert. The timing of the trip has not been announced.

Mattel ordered three high-profile recalls this summer involving more than 21 million Chinese-made toys, including Barbie doll accessories and toy cars because of concerns about lead paint or tiny magnets that could be swallowed.

Mattel previously said many of the toys were recalled because of design problems. It also said certain vendors in China or their subcontractors violated Mattel’s rules by failing to use safe paint or to run tests on paint.

On Friday, Debrowski acknowledged that the vast majority of those products that were recalled were the result of a design flaw in Mattel’s design, not through a manufacturing flaw in China’s manufacturers.’

Lead-tainted toys accounted for only a small percentage of all toys recalled, he added.

In a statement issued later, Mattel said its lead-related recalls were overly inclusive, including toys that may not have had lead in paint in excess of the US standards.’

The follow-up inspections also confirmed that part of the recalled toys complied with the US standards,’ the statement said, without giving specific figures.

In Beijing, Debrowski said, we understand and appreciate deeply the issues that this has caused for the reputation of Chinese manufacturers.’

Li upbraided Mattel for maintaining weak safety controls and reminded Debrowski that a large part of your annual profit ... comes from your factories in China.’

I really hope that Mattel can learn lessons and gain experience from these incidents,’ Li said, adding that Mattel should improve their control measures.’

Since the recalls, Mattel has announced plans to upgrade its safety system by certifying suppliers and increasing the frequency of random, unannounced inspections. It has fired several manufacturers.

Chinese food, drugs and other products ranging from toothpaste to seafood are also under intense scrutiny because they have been found to contain potentially deadly substances.

On Friday, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said about 1 million Simplicity and Graco cribs were being recalled after three children became entrapped in their cribs and died of suffocation. The products were made in China.

China has bristled at what it claims is a campaign to discredit its reputation as an exporter. It accuses foreign media and others of playing up its product safety issues as a form of protectionism and has stepped up inspections of food, drugs and other products in response to the concerns.

Manufacturing toys in China has helped Mattel and other US companies lower manufacturing and labor costs, helping boost profits.

Mattel established a presence in China 25 years ago and now makes about 65 percent of its products there. More than 80 percent of all toys sold in the US are made in the Asian nation.

Mattel’s apology garnered praise from some parents, including Arianna McRoberts, 41, of Los Angeles, the mother of two boys, 7 and 14.

It’s unfortunate China got the bad rap, but I also think China needs to pay attention a little more carefully to their standards so they comply with American standards,’ McRoberts said.

Johnson said the staging of Mattel’s apology as a public event was telling.

This was all about saving face, which is very important in the Chinese culture,’ he said.

The mea culpa could help reshape the debate surrounding Chinese-made toys.

New research from two business professors shows that recalls due to problems with the designs of U.S.-based companies accounted for about 76 percent of the 550 US toy recalls since 1988.

The report was released earlier this month by Paul R. Beamish, an international business professor at Canada’s University of Western Ontario, and Hari Bapuji, business professor at University of Manitoba’s I.H. Asper School of Business in Winnipeg, Canada.

It found that recalls blamed on design problems and manufacturing defects, such as lead paint or poor craftmanship, both rose in the past two years as US makers have shifted more of their production to China.

But they noted that, if shifting manufacturing to China resulted in poorer quality goods, then the number of toys recalled due to manufacturing should be greater than the number recalled due to design.’

The report said that was not the case.

Nobody gets a free ride on this,’ said Beamish, arguing that toy makers’ obsession to quickly get new products to market before they are widely copied has resulted in a lot of cost-cutting and inadequate testing.
Khaleej Times

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Aren't glasses madew in china??? they always make them joints to small!!

Offline CALSGR8

Not to HiJack another post but the new Survivor Show is in China.

Maybe they should give them some toys to play!   ;)