Author Topic: Jose Guillen Steroid Talk (Merged)  (Read 2924 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline Dave B

Re: Jose Guillen Steroid Talk (Merged)
« Reply #1: November 06, 2007, 10:56:22 AM »
didnt read the details, but this upsets me. i guess the rage was there. so much for wanting him back, even though he didnt really fit here anyway.  i was hoping when i opened it that it was a different guillen

MrMadison

« Reply #2: November 06, 2007, 11:01:26 AM »

one would think with all the substances he wouldn't have to whine about RFK's fences.........

my thoughts are this: I'm extremely disappointed. I actually did like Guillen outside of the fence-whining, and until now, I wouldn't have been upset if he came back to the team and replaced Kearns in RF. in fact i would have been in favor of it.

but now, Guillen, stay the hell away from DC. thanks.,

natsfan1a

« Reply #3: November 06, 2007, 11:04:17 AM »
Just FYI, this was also posted in the Trades, Transactions, and Rumors folder and there's some discussion there.

My thoughts on this development are similar to yours.

MrMadison

« Reply #4: November 06, 2007, 11:12:34 AM »
Just FYI, this was also posted in the Trades, Transactions, and Rumors folder and there's some discussion there.

My thoughts on this development are similar to yours.

i'm just waiting for the deluge of holier-than-thous who will come in here and say "oh i never liked Guillen anyway" which is a load of BS. because in 2005 EVERYONE liked Guillen. especially after the Anaheim Series.

natsfan1a

« Reply #5: November 06, 2007, 11:15:51 AM »
Well, I wasn't a forum member then, but in the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that in addition to the fence-whining, I was concerned about the rumors of him being a "clubhouse cancer" later in his tenure here, too.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #6: November 06, 2007, 12:11:34 PM »
We'll have to wait and hear the problem for which they say they took these drugs first.  ;)

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #7: November 06, 2007, 01:01:46 PM »
Sure glad Guillen is GONE! Looks like the ROIDS didnt help him too much at rfk...

what a jerk

FOXSports.com, Updated 53 minutes ago
Veteran outfielder Jose Guillen and two other retired Major League Baseball players have been linked to purchases of performance-enhancing drugs from the Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center, targeted in a law-enforcement investigation of suspected illegal drug sales, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Matt Williams bought $11,600 worth of growth hormone, steroids and other drugs in 2002, when he was playing for the Arizona Diamondbacks, according to the records. In a phone interview Monday, Williams told the newspaper a doctor advised him to try growth hormone to heal a serious ankle injury suffered early in 2002.
Journeyman pitcher Ismael Valdez bought $11,300 worth of performance-enhancing drugs in 2002 after he was traded from the Texas Rangers to the Seattle Mariners, the records show. Guillen, an 11-year veteran who played for the Mariners last season, ordered more than $19,000 worth of drugs from the center between May 2002 and June 2005, according to the records.

On May 1, 2002, while he was playing for the Diamondbacks, Guillen placed his first order with the Florida center, paying $2,180 worth of growth hormone, the steroids testosterone cypionate and nandrolone and syringes, the records show. The drugs were shipped to a Phoenix address. Guillen was with the playoff-bound Oakland A's on Sept. 19, 2003, when he used a credit card to order $2,083 worth of Genotropin, a brand name for human growth hormone, along with the steroids testosterone propionate and stanozolol and syringes and needles, to be shipped to him at the Oakland Coliseum, records show.

Guillen didn't respond to requests for comment left with his agent and business manager. Valdez's former agent didn't return phone calls or an e-mail message.

Some prescriptions for the three were written by a Florida dentist whose license later was suspended for fraud and incompetence, records show. The same dentist wrote prescriptions for Paul Byrd, the Cleveland Indians pitcher previously identified as buying nearly $25,000 worth of growth hormone through the same anti-aging clinic.

The players' orders were detailed in records provided to the newspaper by a source who said their purchases were consistent with an athlete's personal use of the drugs. The records included payment data and the buyers' birthdates and Social Security numbers.

Guillen, 31, has played for eight teams during 11 seasons in the majors, batting .267 with 166 home runs. In 2007, he hit .290 with 23 home runs and 99 runs batted in for Seattle.

The Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center was targeted by the Albany, N.Y., district attorney for illegal sales of drugs, including steroids and HGH, and was raided by state law enforcement agencies Feb. 27. Authorities have accused doctors associated with several clinics and pharmacies of writing fraudulent prescriptions. Thus far, 10 people have pleaded guilty to felony drug and fraud charges.

Williams was on pace to break Roger Maris' single-season home run record for the Giants in 1994, but a labor dispute ended the season in August and he finished with 43 home runs. During his next-to-last season in Arizona, records show, Williams placed two orders with the Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center. On March 9, 2002, he ordered $5,693 of testosterone cypionate, growth hormone, clomiphene, Novarel and syringes. On May 8, Williams ordered $6,000 of testosterone cypionate, nandrolone, clomiphene, Novarel and syringes, according to the records. The drugs were sent to a Scottsdale business office Williams long has used as a mailing address. Williams' prescriptions were written by the same dentist who prescribed growth hormone for Byrd and Guillen.

Injuries limited Williams to just 60 games in 2002, and he hit .260 with 12 home runs and 40 RBIs. He retired the following June after playing in just 43 games.

On Sept. 7, 2002, about a month after he was traded from Texas to Seattle, records indicate Valdez used a credit card to buy nearly $2,500 worth of growth hormone through the Palm Beach Rejuvenation Center. The invoice listed the primary shipping address as 1000 Ball Park Way, Arlington, Texas — the Rangers' stadium.

Ten days later, Valdez spent $2,337.50 on Novarel, Clomid — a brand name for clomiphene — and Arimidex. Arimidex is prescribed for breast cancer, but experts say it is taken by male steroid users to counter side effects such as the growth of breast tissue. The drugs were shipped to the Seattle address.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #8: November 06, 2007, 01:17:23 PM »
This shouldn't be a surprise. Just because they have put on the Nationals uniform doesn't mean we should be like the Giants fans and pretend that this can't be true or that there is an explanation. There are others I have suspected on the Nationals to have been juicers. Livan is one of them. Brad Wilkerson for sure. Guzman is on my suspect list. And the Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz connection to Peña has me worried. Plus a couple others that may piss some of you off.

natsfan1a

« Reply #9: November 06, 2007, 02:00:08 PM »
FYI, there are a couple of other threads on this. One in Trades, Transactions, and Rumors and another in News From Around the Majors (I'm glad he's gone, too).

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: November 06, 2007, 02:03:44 PM »
Seriously? Given the state of our offense over the years, I've always thought that if any of our guys were juicing, they ought to have asked for a refund because it wasn't working. :)

Edit: Not that I condone it.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #11: November 06, 2007, 02:07:22 PM »
We'll have to wait and hear the problem for which they say they took these drugs first.  ;)

The article said a dentist did some of the prescribing. Must have been a helluva toothache.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: November 06, 2007, 02:08:38 PM »
This shouldn't be a surprise. Just because they have put on the Nationals uniform doesn't mean we should be like the Giants fans and pretend that this can't be true or that there is an explanation. There are others I have suspected on the Nationals to have been juicers. Livan is one of them. Brad Wilkerson for sure. Guzman is on my suspect list. And the Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz connection to Peña has me worried. Plus a couple others that may piss some of you off.

Why do you suspect these folks?  I'm thinking you are looking at their performance history, and think there is an unexplained spike in production that might be explainable as chemically enhanced.  Thing is, guys like Wilkerson and Guzman had their production plummet due to injuries.  We saw what Guzman could do last season once recovered.  I haven't really followed Wilkerson much, but he was playing with a serious shoulder injury while here and for a while after joining the Rangers.  It's since been fixed, but I don't think he has reached his previous level.

natsfan1a

« Reply #13: November 06, 2007, 02:09:36 PM »
What I think really stinks is ballplayers who are alleged to have used drugs meant for treatment of breast cancer and other diseases.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: November 06, 2007, 02:12:29 PM »
LOL, who gets the scoop first?

natsfan1a

« Reply #15: November 06, 2007, 02:16:10 PM »
I think it was yours, Tom. You get the ace reporter prize for the day. :thumbs: MrMadison was right on your heels.

LOL, who gets the scoop first?

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #16: November 06, 2007, 02:19:16 PM »
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sorry i was a day late and a dollar short...

lol

yeah i do know some big scoop about the nats, but mums the word on it...

i can't say until they make the announcement!

*sigh....

natsfan1a

« Reply #17: November 06, 2007, 02:20:01 PM »
That's okay. You still get the inside scoop on lots of stuff!

lol

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #18: November 06, 2007, 02:22:13 PM »
I think it was yours, Tom. You get the ace reporter prize for the day. :thumbs: MrMadison was right on your heels.

:woop:

MrMadison

« Reply #19: November 06, 2007, 02:35:03 PM »
all the threads have been merged.

yay i get to flex my Moderator muscles for once! *FLEX*

natsfan1a

« Reply #20: November 06, 2007, 02:36:31 PM »
...and MrMadison gets the Ace Moderator award for the day. :thumbs:

all the threads have been merged.

yay i get to flex my Moderator muscles for once! *FLEX*

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #21: November 06, 2007, 03:05:50 PM »
Who cares?

Guillen is still a beast

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: November 06, 2007, 03:15:37 PM »
Who cares?

Guillen is still a beast

Well, the beastliness did seem to coincide with the timetable of his reported steriod use.  So is he really a beast, or is that the roids talking?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #23: November 06, 2007, 03:34:30 PM »

lol

yeah i do know some big scoop about the nats, but mums the word on it...

i can't say until they make the announcement!

*sigh....

Why even mention it then? Then again I might as well admit to knowing some major news but I can't say anything until they are announced :lol:

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #24: November 06, 2007, 03:38:22 PM »
I'm still suspicious of Luis Gonzalez's 57 HR season in 2001.