Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: JP Ramirez, LF  (Read 4438 times)

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Follow the Prospects: JP Ramirez, LF
« Topic Start: July 06, 2011, 05:04:25 PM »

LF for Potomac Nationals
L/L
5'10 185 lbs
15th round pick in 2008. We used the money we saved from not signing Crow on him (1.2 million)
JP Ramirez + Drew Storen > Aaron Crow
He is finally getting hot this year 17-42 (.405) 2 HR 9 RBI in his past 10 games.
He had a solid 2010 year hitting 16 HR and .296 AVG in Hagerstown.

Links
Milb Page http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=543676
Must Read Article http://bleacherreport.com/articles/328897-prospect-jp-ramirez-set-for-breakout-season-in-2010 (It's old but says a lot about him)
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/mlb/article/J-P-Ramirez-s-minor-league-diary-June-26-1440619.php

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Follow the Prospects: JP Ramirez, LF
« Reply #1: July 06, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
They signed Ramirez before Crow said no... So your whole premise is invalid.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #2: July 06, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »
They signed Ramirez before Crow said no... So your whole premise is invalid.
Ouch, my bad in the article it said that
"Negotiations remained very quiet between the Nationals and Ramirez until it became apparent that the team would not be able to sign top pick Aaron Crow in the waning minutes of the signing period. A quick phone call was all it took. Ramirez was a National."

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: July 06, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »
As with most high school high bonus guys... They usually sign late, even though the deal was agreed to early.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #4: July 06, 2011, 05:20:39 PM »
As with most high school high bonus guys... They usually sign late, even though the deal was agreed to early.
Would we have still signed him if Crow had?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #5: July 06, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »
If he was like 99% of the high bonus guys... They agreed regardless if Crow signed or not.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #6: July 06, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »
If he was like 99% of the high bonus guys... They agreed regardless if Crow signed or not.
But could we have afforded it if Crow had not signed? Post the article proving your point.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #7: July 06, 2011, 05:25:55 PM »
My point is Crow not signing and Ramirez signing had nothing to do with each other. Regardless if Crow signed or not Ramirez was going to sign. I don't need to post an article.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #8: July 06, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
What your saying makes no sense. You can't assume that he would have signed. Post an article, if there is one about it.

Negotiations remained very quiet between the Nationals and Ramirez until it became apparent that the team would not be able to sign top pick Aaron Crow in the waning minutes of the signing period. A quick phone call was all it took. Ramirez was a National.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #9: July 06, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »
You're right... 15th round picks go to the wire all the time.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #10: July 06, 2011, 05:32:27 PM »
You're right... 15th round picks go to the wire all the time.
The article that I posted seems to say it did. You haven't posted anything but your assumption.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: July 06, 2011, 05:34:12 PM »
In fairness, Linty, there was a lot of contemporary speculation that it was an either / or deal for Crow or Ramirez and another signing.  You could probably find a number of people who viewed it that way.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #12: July 06, 2011, 05:36:31 PM »
In fairness, Linty, there was a lot of contemporary speculation that it was an either / or deal for Crow or Ramirez and another signing.  You could probably find a number of people who viewed it that way.
You could also find an article about it.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #13: July 06, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »
ANYWAY
JP Ramirez went to high school very near mine and might have played my school a couple times. Following him as a fan from the beginning.

Offline RD

« Reply #14: July 06, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »
While I've heard we signed him because we didn't get Crow, it seems hard to believe it could come together fast enough.

Crow went up til the last minute and we were playing chicken. If the Nats ok'd a mill for Ramirez with 15 minutes left before the deadline, who's to say Crow's agents wouldn't give in and accept? Then we'd be on the hook for both.

I imagine that the money was ok'd for Ramirez late, but it was agreed even if Crow signed, I would imagine. Just my .02 cents. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: July 06, 2011, 09:13:44 PM »
IIRC, there was a quote from Stan or somebody the day after the Crow fiasco saying that, "well, we took the money Crow would have gotten and got two good players later on"  Not those words, but that idea. 

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #16: July 06, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »
While I've heard we signed him because we didn't get Crow, it seems hard to believe it could come together fast enough.

Crow went up til the last minute and we were playing chicken. If the Nats ok'd a mill for Ramirez with 15 minutes left before the deadline, who's to say Crow's agents wouldn't give in and accept? Then we'd be on the hook for both.

I imagine that the money was ok'd for Ramirez late, but it was agreed even if Crow signed, I would imagine. Just my .02 cents. 
Maybe they knew Hendricks brothers weren't going to give in. I think we made the right choice.

0-5, 2K Tonight. Damn. He had a grand slam last night though.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #17: July 07, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »
3-5, 2 2B

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18: October 05, 2011, 04:58:26 PM »
From Marc Hulet's list of most disappointing prospects fro each team in the NL East:
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/disappointing-2011-prospects-nl-east/
Washington Nationals
FanGraphs 2011 Top 10 Prospects
Decreased Value: J.P. Ramirez, OF

There weren’t many analysts that had Ramirez ranked as high as I did entering 2011 and he didn’t do me any favors by regressing badly. He made my Top 10 list because A) I bought into the improvements shown with the bat in ’10, and B) I wasn’t overly enamored with the other prospects in the system so I went with a sleeper (who suffered from narcolepsy in ’11). Moved up to high-A ball at the beginning of the year, Ramirez posted a wOBA of .283 and his power dried up (ISO from .174 in ’10 to .119 in ’11). The outfielder will need to recover quickly in 2012 because he’s a one-trick pony as an offensive-minded prospect. His defence is questionable in the outfield and his fluctuating power may not be sufficient for first base. The good news for the Nationals organization is that its system improved significantly in 2011 and Ramirez lack of development does not hurt nearly as much as it would have a few years ago. It also allows the club time to be patient with his development.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: May 12, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »
Back at Hagerstown this year.  Power seems to have disappeared.  AVG / OBP 2 years ago at A ball - .296 / .341.  2 years later - .282 / .331.  But the ISO?  dropped from .174 to .073.  Running a bit - 4 SBs.
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa455310&position=DH/OF

Offline Clever

« Reply #20: August 03, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
Promoted to Potomac. Hitting .297 but not much else.