Author Topic: spitballing: WNFF baseball/softball/whatever scrimmage/get-together thing?  (Read 5904 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Just putting the idea out there.  I've mentioned it a few times before.  I know the degree of experience and ability varies widely among members here, but I don't see any reason we couldn't all get together for a game or even just toss/BP.  Maybe do some grilling and beers on the side.

Anyone even remotely interested feel free to speak up.

Offline UMDNats

freak yes.

We do this every semester at MD. Radio station BBQ then softball game. Good times.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Make it baseball and I'll see what I can do about getting down there.   ;)

Would it be a weekend?  We've canceled our Alabama trip this year thanks to the oil spill :? so I'm taking an abbreviated vacation to go to the Cape and I'll have some extra time off.  About what time of year are you looking at?

Offline hammondsnats

that sounds cool.  

i still want to help plan an official WNFF meet-up well in advanced of the selected game (it's best to feature a game not facing the phils, mets, orioles, cubs or strasburg debut, etc).  

and i think it'd be cool to organize one at a DC bar for a nats road game?  maybe play softball/baseball game on the DC lawn then meet up at a bar after the game and watch a nats game?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
If someone brings the bats, I'll bring the beer.  I mean softballs.

Aren't you in Richmond, Chief ?  Would you still want to do something in the DC area ?

Just putting the idea out there.  I've mentioned it a few times before.  I know the degree of experience and ability varies widely among members here, but I don't see any reason we couldn't all get together for a game or even just toss/BP.  Maybe do some grilling and beers on the side.

Anyone even remotely interested feel free to speak up.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Why not a trip to Oriole Park ?  We are bound to get a block of tickets the way the O's are playing.

that sounds cool. 

i still want to help plan an official WNFF meet-up well in advanced of the selected game (it's best to feature a game not facing the phils, mets, orioles, cubs or strasburg debut, etc). 

and i think it'd be cool to organize one at a DC bar for a nats road game?  maybe play softball/baseball game on the DC lawn then meet up at a bar after the game and watch a nats game?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Baseball and I I'm in.

Offline The Chief

I would prefer baseball myself, but there's no reason we couldn't do two groups or multiple games if we had enough people.  I also hope that those with more (or more recent) experience don't mind stooping down to the level of those of us who haven't played in any organized fashion since junior high :lol: :-[

I'm in the Richmond area but I know Fredericksburg and the surrounding counties pretty well and that would be a good halfway point for NoVa folks and Richmond-area people...  such details could be hammered out in due time.

Would it be a weekend?  About what time of year are you looking at?

It's all up in the air right now.  Whatever works best for the majority of those interested.  For myself, weekends work best and time of year is mostly irrelevant.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I would prefer baseball myself, but there's no reason we couldn't do two groups or multiple games if we had enough people.  I also hope that those with more (or more recent) experience don't mind stooping down to the level of those of us who haven't played in any organized fashion since junior high :lol: :-[

Some of the players in my league were probably cut by their junior high team.  :lol:  I love playing, I don't care how good or not good someone is - and besides, this is supposed to be fun and anyone who takes it too seriously will be flogged and be forced to have the ASSCLOWN moniker for one full year.

I'm in the Richmond area but I know Fredericksburg and the surrounding counties pretty well and that would be a good halfway point for NoVa folks and Richmond-area people...  such details could be hammered out in due time.

It's all up in the air right now.  Whatever works best for the majority of those interested.  For myself, weekends work best and time of year is mostly irrelevant.

My mom used to live in Fredericksburg and there are a couple of really nice high school fields down there who might let us use the field for a day if we pay rent (our fields average $50-/game up here, we could take up a collection). 

As for time of year?  At this point since it's short notice, I'd shoot for late in the Nats season or even into October.  Baseball in the DC area in July and August is BRUTAL and I'm ten years older now.

On a side note, we should totally do this type of thing in Cooperstown on Doubleday Field someday. 

Offline The Chief

My mom used to live in Fredericksburg and there are a couple of really nice high school fields down there who might let us use the field for a day if we pay rent (our fields average $50-/game up here, we could take up a collection). 

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking.  There are some nice city/county/rec park fields too.

As for time of year?  At this point since it's short notice, I'd shoot for late in the Nats season or even into October.  Baseball in the DC area in July and August is BRUTAL and I'm ten years older now.

Works for me, and advance planning increases the likelihood of participation, I would think.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
If you want to do this during the Nats season, I'd suggest the 11-12 or the 25-26 of September since the Nats are in town both weekends.  I'm certain I could work something where we go down and stay with my brother for a weekend.

Let's do this!

Offline UMDNats

Dude I played one year of baseball in 4th grade and never played again but still love every chance I get to be out on the diamond.

I'd like to do this before school starts, but I'm just being selfish.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Hell yeah. I'm down for this. I'd do baseball or softball. Last time I played baseball was 8th grade but I used to be petrified of getting hit by the ball. (long story short: I got beamed by a kid who could throw 70 at a young age.. hurt like crap. generalized every pitcher that I would feel that pain again if hit :rofl: ) I regret not trying out in highschool since I enjoyed playing it so much. Definitely down for this. :thumbs:

Offline DPMOmaha

Who's gonna fly me in?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
I'm down for the BBQ / Drinking part depending on the day.  I'm in no position to play except maybe a little tossing back and forth :lol:

Maybe some of the pro's can show me how to throw some different pitches :rofl:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
if I have enough advance notice, and I can work it into my work schedule, I would be up for it. hell, if it is softball I may even be able to talk my dad into coming too. but he is a Mets fan (in name only, he just likes baseball in general)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I'm down for the BBQ / Drinking part depending on the day.  I'm in no position to play except maybe a little tossing back and forth :lol:

Maybe some of the pro's can show me how to throw some different pitches :rofl:

First base? 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Chief: 

Perhaps we could set a date to be signed up for this?  If we get a list of players and what positions they play we'd know how to split the teams up.

Or we could have an online draft and see if ASSCLOWN gets picked last.   :lmao:

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
I'm in, my fondest baseball memories are of family picnics and good old Chicago style mush ball - you could play it without having to remember your mitt....

Anyway, I make good crowd noises and know how to buy beer, keep me posted.

Offline blue911

I'm in, my fondest baseball memories are of family picnics and good old Chicago style mush ball - you could play it without having to remember your mitt....

Anyway, I make good crowd noises and know how to buy beer, keep me posted.

Like hitting a cantaloupe.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I think I can catch for one of the teams. I should still have my gear lying around the house somewhere.

Would rather pitch though! Last year at Nats Park I set the record for high speed at the game I attended at 69 MPH.  :-[

I don't know what's sadder, the fact that I won the day at 69 MPH, or the fact I could only get it up to 69 MPH. The glory days of High School are apparently far behind me.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
(Image removed from quote.)

Like hitting a cantaloupe.

Yep
play a game any time any where, nothing needed but a bat

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I think I can catch for one of the teams. I should still have my gear lying around the house somewhere.

Would rather pitch though! Last year at Nats Park I set the record for high speed at the game I attended at 69 MPH.  :-[

I don't know what's sadder, the fact that I won the day at 69 MPH, or the fact I could only get it up to 69 MPH. The glory days of High School are apparently far behind me.

I can't throw a strike to save my life or else I'd pitch. 

Still got catcher's gear and still use it!  Got another game on Friday!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I didn't say anything about being able to throw a strike... but that doesn't stop me from liking to pitch! :)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Right field, just watchin' the dandelions grow....

Depends on the bum knee.  Careful, many Public Parks don't allow alcohol w/o a special permit.