Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 50754 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #675: December 20, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »
Maybe the Yankees could use him as an occasional DH and part time outfielder.  The Rangers could also use him.

The Christmas soft deadline is pretty much here. 

I think, if we end up keeping him and LaRoche, that Moore would go back to the minors rather than Morse.

Regardless of his options, Morse can't be sent down without his approval. 5 years of service time gets a player that right.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #676: December 21, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
Tweet from Kilgore say the Nats are getting impatient with LaRoche, want an answer.

Offline PC

« Reply #677: December 21, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »
LaRoche should give them the finger.  He can get what they're offering him from lots of teams.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #678: December 21, 2012, 02:43:56 PM »
Tweet from Kilgore say the Nats are getting impatient with LaRoche, want an answer.

the conventional wisdom was that once Hamilton went off the market, LaRoche would go to Texas.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  And if I'm Texas, I'm not sure I see the value in paying LaRoche for 3 years and giving up a pick when I've got Mitch Moreland who puts up similar numbers, and is 27.

So I'm guessing now that LaRoche is holding out to see how the Napoli situation is resolved.  There really isn't any other place for him to go other than maybe Baltimore.  Tampa isn't going to give him anything close to what's he asking for.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #679: December 21, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »
Texas is a better fit for Swisher since he can do 1B/OF both, although Seattle and Cleveland are still in on him.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #680: December 21, 2012, 02:49:56 PM »
the conventional wisdom was that once Hamilton went off the market, LaRoche would go to Texas.  That doesn't seem to be the case.  And if I'm Texas, I'm not sure I see the value in paying LaRoche for 3 years and giving up a pick when I've got Mitch Moreland who puts up similar numbers, and is 27.

So I'm guessing now that LaRoche is holding out to see how the Napoli situation is resolved.  There really isn't any other place for him to go other than maybe Baltimore.  Tampa isn't going to give him anything close to what's he asking for.

Agreed.  The Rangers would probably sign Bourn over LaRoche and then modify the game plan from tons of sluggers to having much more speed on the bases with Bourn, Profar, Andrus and Kinsler.  Then have Beltre, Cruz and A.J. knock them all in.

O's won't go over two years and probably won't offer more than the Nats due to fear of him actually signing and then having to cough up the draft pick to the Nats.

Tampa has Loney on the cheap.

LaRoche just won't go to the Mariners because it makes no sense.  They are too far away from competing in a very good and deep division.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #681: December 21, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »
LaRoche should give them the finger.

That would suit me just fine...

Frankly, Rizzo has displayed far more patience than I would have. 

Of course, I wouldn't have offered anything other than the initial qualifying offer to preserve the draft choice.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #682: December 21, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »
yeah, not sure how many teams would value him at more than two years. Only issue now is whether he ends up disappointed wherever he lands.

Offline Upark25

« Reply #683: December 21, 2012, 09:49:48 PM »
We need to just commit to Morse this is getting ridiculous. Go find your 3 year deal elsewhere LaRoche.

Online imref

« Reply #684: December 21, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
I've been in the LaRoche > Morse camp, but now I'm wondering if we have a better lineup with Morse.

W/LaRoche:
Span
Harper
Zimm
LaRoche
Desmond
Werth
the rest.....

With Morse:
Span
Werth
Zimm
Harper
Morse
Desmond
the rest....

I assume Davey wouldn't go L/L and bat Harper 4 and LaRoche 5 (or the other way around) so Harper hits 2nd if LaRoche is in the lineup.  The later seems to give us a more balanced lineup, and it moves Werth up to the #2 slot where he might be well suited.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #685: December 22, 2012, 05:05:08 PM »
span
werth
S/b ALR
Zimm
Harper
Desi
Espi
Cacthi
P

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #686: December 22, 2012, 05:58:17 PM »
I don't see Zimm as the #4 masher. Want his bat hitting third.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #687: December 22, 2012, 06:14:45 PM »
yeah, not sure how many teams would value him at more than two years. Only issue now is whether he ends up disappointed wherever he lands.

Orioles for 3 years or Nats for 2 - how is that a choice? O's won't win the series in the next 3 years, Nats have a shot.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #688: December 22, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
I don't see Zimm as the #4 masher. Want his bat hitting third.
I kind of subscribe to the belief that I want more contact out of #3 and more OBP out of #4.  #4 should be my most complete hitter, so that would be RZ. 

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #689: December 22, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »
Ladson tweets 'a little bit of progress' made between the Nats and LaRoche.

Online imref

« Reply #690: December 22, 2012, 09:27:11 PM »
span
werth
S/b ALR
Zimm
Harper
Desi
Espi
Cacthi
P

i don't see Harper moving that far down the lineup.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #691: December 22, 2012, 09:51:22 PM »
It will never happen but I wouldn't mind seeing Werth continue to bat leadoff with Span right behind him. 

I also think fifth is too low for Harper.

Offline PC

« Reply #692: December 22, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
Ladson tweets 'a little bit of progress' made between the Nats and LaRoche.

I wish this info came from a better source.

Offline GSW

« Reply #693: December 23, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
Both: If what they say is true.... Making a run for the World Series

Then keep Morse for DH, PH, giving the 3 outfielders and 1st base rest during the year.

DH 10 games, each of the 4 other spots 20 games each = 90 games + PH

and if someone gets hurt......  You have a replacement

BUT IF WHAT THEY SAY IS NOT TRUE...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #694: December 23, 2012, 10:39:58 AM »
If the plan is to use Morse as a bench player,  I wouldn't blame him for publicly demanding a trade.  His last year healthy (only two years ago) he had a 30 home run high average high OBP year.  If they bench home I'm wondering if they just have a thing for screwing players (non boras clients) entering free agency

Offline Ray D

« Reply #695: December 23, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »
If the plan is to use Morse as a bench player,  I wouldn't blame him for publicly demanding a trade.

I agree, he is a proven everyday player.  However, if they can't get what he is worth in trade, I would not blame them for using him this way.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #696: December 23, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »
It will never happen but I wouldn't mind seeing Werth continue to bat leadoff with Span right behind him. 

I also think fifth is too low for Harper.
I'm thinking that Davey does not drop him right into #3, and I think RZ will hit between ALR and Harper.  Putting Harper 5th also lets you string a few guys who run in a row (Harper, desmond, espinosa) without a couple of plow horses in the way (RZ, ALR).  I could see Harper moving to 3d sometime midseason if ALR gets off to a slow start.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #697: December 23, 2012, 04:57:24 PM »
Heh, Squab is  a redditor.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #698: December 23, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
I'm thinking that Davey does not drop him right into #3, and I think RZ will hit between ALR and Harper.  Putting Harper 5th also lets you string a few guys who run in a row (Harper, desmond, espinosa) without a couple of plow horses in the way (RZ, ALR).  I could see Harper moving to 3d sometime midseason if ALR gets off to a slow start.

Could be this is what Davey decides is best for Harper.  Maybe not hitting third keeps the pressure off him.

I don't think RZ and LaRoche are in the same class as baserunners.  LaRoche is probably one of the slowest players in baseball. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #699: December 23, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »
Gordon Edes has some interesting mixed reporting and speculation related to both Morse and ALR.  If the Napoli deal falls apart (the focus of the link), we've all thought Boston would then look at ALR.  however, Boston has also been very careful not to give up a draft choice, give up high quality prospects in trade, or bind themselves to longer term contracts that could block players.  Were the Napoli deal to fall apart, Edes suggests the Red Sox may be more interested in Morse than ALR. 

Napoli was projected to fill Boston's void at first base. If the deal doesn't come through, the Sox could turn to free agents Adam LaRoche or Nick Swisher, although both would cost the Sox a draft pick as compensation. They could also wait to see if Washington signs LaRoche, which could make the Nationals amenable to moving outfielder/first baseman Michael Morse in a deal.
[note - this was before the Swisher signing by the Indians]

I've mentioned the surplus of lefty relievers they have - Miller, Breslow, and Franklin Morales - as part of a 10 pitchers into 7 slots bullpen.  I could easily see Morales for Morse after ALR signs with the Nats.