Author Topic: Bandwagoners: How many do we have now?  (Read 6487 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Bandwagoners: How many do we have now?
« Topic Start: January 29, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
I've seen accusations that Nats fans are simply bandwagon fans. Of course, most of us here have been through the blood and vomit and crap since the beginning or pretty close to it, but I'm curious if any of you DC natives have noticed many bandwagon jumpers around the park or around DC.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Bandwagoners: How many do we have now?
« Reply #1: January 29, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »
Definitely seen some but that's expected. They'll be around while the going's good but will turn and run when the salary dump begins.  :stir:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #2: January 29, 2013, 08:58:11 PM »
Everybody loves a winner. The more, the merrier. No problems with bandwagon fans from here.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #3: January 29, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »
What is a "bandwagoner" anyways? By many definitions I am one but I refuse to feel guilty over it because I don't have a desire to jump ship because of success.

This team is under 10 years old and people are starting to warm up to it. So while a lot just come for the success, I think that more than a handful of the new fans will become lifelong lovers of the Nats.

Also we will not know how many bandwagoners there are until we slump or get caught in a scandal...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: January 29, 2013, 09:08:13 PM »
What is a "bandwagoner" anyways? By many definitions I am one but I refuse to feel guilty over it because I don't have a desire to jump ship because of success.

This team is under 10 years old and people are starting to warm up to it. So while a lot just come for the success, I think that more than a handful of the new fans will become lifelong lovers of the Nats.

Also we will not know how many bandwagoners there are until we slump or get caught in a scandal...

I agree. people form attachments to teams when they're winning and keep those attachments. My father was a 49ers fan, but I rebelled against that. I grew up as a navy brat, but lived here during the late 80s and early 90s and adopted the skins. I stayed with them while living elsewhere through all of the subsequent suck.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #5: January 29, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »
I'm 100% supportive of people who chose to spend their time and money on a winner.

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #6: January 29, 2013, 09:18:02 PM »
I'm okay w/the bandwagoners, especially the ones bringing kids to the games.  These kids are the ones who will really grow the fan base.  Besides since I kept my season tix through the dark years, they all have to sit behind me now.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
« Reply #7: January 29, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
Bandwagoners are smart and generally more happy than normal fans. I been boys fan for ten + years and still waiting for happyness

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #8: January 29, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
Who cares? Welcome aboard.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #9: January 29, 2013, 09:32:43 PM »
I've seen accusations that Nats fans are simply bandwagon fans. Of course, most of us here have been through the blood and vomit and crap since the beginning or pretty close to it, but I'm curious if any of you DC natives have noticed many bandwagon jumpers around the park or around DC.

Hit the right field beer joint/plaza behind the scoreboard.   They flock there.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #10: January 29, 2013, 09:35:19 PM »

I agree. people form attachments to teams when they're winning and keep those attachments. My father was a 49ers fan, but I rebelled against that. I grew up as a navy brat, but lived here during the late 80s and early 90s and adopted the skins. I stayed with them while living elsewhere through all of the subsequent suck.

I formed an attachment because it was where I lived.   Steelers sucked.   I  loved 'em.   Pirates sucked.  I loved 'em.   Nats sucked.   I loved 'em.   Caps sucked.   I loved 'em.   Outside of the Pirates, I still love 'em all.   When I can get passed Sid Bream I still love the Buccos.    Win or lose ....   not because it's chic.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: January 29, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »
I'm totally a fair weather fan, only have any interest when I can see wins.  I never went to a game between '72-04, just didn't get excited.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #12: January 29, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »
As soon as they start loosing fans will disappear imo. The nationals are winning and some just like them because of that. This team is going to look different in three to four years. I liked them when they had Lastings Millege man. If Rizzo makes a wrong move someone doesn't like "fire rizzo". If Lerner don't sign a specific player "lerners are cheap". The nats could always have the pirates or royals owners. Let's see if their would be any true fans if that were the case. It doesn't bother me when people say nats fans are fairweather because when you look at philly, ny, boston, chicago they support their teams when they loose or win, their attendance just proves that for all their sports imo.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #13: January 29, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »
What is a "bandwagoner" anyways?

Anyone over the age of 16 who wasn't a Nats fan during the RFK years.

I'm 100% supportive of people who chose to spend their time and money on a winner.

I've heard people rip yankees and phillies fans for doing precisely this.

Hit the right field beer joint/plaza behind the scoreboard.   They flock there.

hammonds   :lmao:

Offline Capital Punisher

« Reply #14: January 29, 2013, 10:05:31 PM »
I'm totally a fair weather fan, only have any interest when I can see wins.  I never went to a game between '72-04, just didn't get excited.

Well done.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #15: January 29, 2013, 10:08:44 PM »
Anyone over the age of 16 who wasn't a Nats fan during the RFK years.
Crap. I became a Nats fan in '09, but I was sixteen at the time. Am I legit or not?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #16: January 29, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »
Crap. I became a Nats fan in '09, but I was sixteen at the time. Am I legit or not?

I thought you were older than that. That makes the peg comment even more shocking.  :shock: 

:mg:

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #17: January 29, 2013, 10:16:12 PM »
Sorry, you're a bastardo:

The Truth comes out

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #18: January 29, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »
Error on my part. I forgot that I joined in July of '09, which is before my birthday, so I was actually fifteen at the time. Do I count now?

I thought you were older than that. That makes the peg comment even more shocking.  :shock: 

:mg:
Yeah. Kids these days, man...

Offline Bloo

« Reply #19: January 29, 2013, 10:25:42 PM »
Over 9000!

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #20: January 29, 2013, 10:40:13 PM »
Error on my part. I forgot that I joined in July of '09, which is before my birthday, so I was actually fifteen at the time. Do I count now?
  Yeah. Kids these days, man...
Wait you're younger than me!? :shock:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: January 29, 2013, 10:48:54 PM »
Embrace the bandwagon, it means your team is winning.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #22: January 29, 2013, 10:59:32 PM »

I've heard people rip yankees and phillies fans for doing precisely this.

That's totally different - Philly "fans" act like they're the greatest fans in the world, like they've always been there and always gone to games; when nothing is further from the truth. The vet was empty when the Phillies sucked for a generation. Their bandwagon fans are not even fans of the team, they're fans of being "Phan bois" They're hypocrites.

Outside of the Redskins, Washington fans have always embraced the idea of spending their money & time on a winner.  I totally support that.

I'm fine with bandwagon fans - or whatever you want to call them. The more people in the stands wearing Red, sporting the Curly Dub and cheering on the Nats - the better. Hopefully those of us who have been through the suck will be good about welcoming them aboard and bringing them along for the ride ...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: January 29, 2013, 11:04:25 PM »
That's totally different - Philly "fans" act like they're the greatest fans in the world, like they've always been there and always gone to games; when nothing is further from the truth. The vet was empty when the Phillies sucked for a generation. Their bandwagon fans are not even fans of the team, they're fans of being "Phan bois" They're hypocrites.

Outside of the Redskins, Washington fans have always embraced the idea of spending their money & time on a winner.  I totally support that.

I'm fine with bandwagon fans - or whatever you want to call them. The more people in the stands wearing Red, sporting the Curly Dub and cheering on the Nats - the better. Hopefully those of us who have been through the suck will be good about welcoming them aboard and bringing them along for the ride ...

Give it a couple of years,  cbp will be empty,  nats park will be full,  and philly's fans will talk about how terrible dc fans are because rfk used to be empty

Offline spidernat

« Reply #24: January 29, 2013, 11:12:31 PM »
That's totally different -

:lmao:  That's what I thought.