Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Watch  (Read 189257 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: The Bryce Harper Watch
« Reply #550: June 04, 2010, 02:34:27 PM »
Ahh, the old clutch hitting canard! Love that challenge!

Will Clark overall career slash line: .303/.384/.497 for a career OPS of .880, or an OPS+ of 137. Great player.

Will Clark career "late and close" slash line: .288/.383/.478, for a tOPS of 96, or slightly worse than his overall production. He also had only 5 seasons where he outperformed his overall season OPS in "late and close" situations, against 10 seasons where he underperformed in those situations.

tOPS when ahead: 103
tOPS when behind: 95
tOPS in "high-leverage" situations: 108

Taken together, it means Will Clark, if anything, performed slightly better than usual in higher leverage situations (situation with higher outs, later in the game, with more runners on base) when his team was already ahead.

He was a tough guy and a great hitter, but not any more of a clutch hitter than our imperfect memories make him out to be.

Buzz Killington!!

My Will Clark memory:

My friend went to the press conference for the Giants series in the Superdome. He asked Will if he could take a picture with him and Steve's 5 year old son (wearing a Giants jersey). "If you want my picture cut it out the newspaper". 

Great story! Never said he was a great guy, but he sure as hell was intense!  :D  ;)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #551: June 04, 2010, 03:28:28 PM »
Id take Dibble on this team. He can be what Lo Duca should've been... Player/Commentator.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #552: June 04, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »
He'd be like The Rock for the Nationals.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #553: June 04, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »
Knowing how you (and a few others) feel about Dibble, I can't tell if this is an insult or a compliment :lol:

Compliment. I want to see him bust a guy up inside with a fastball... and then throw down when the guy comes at him on the mound.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #554: June 04, 2010, 05:08:31 PM »
http://www.nationalsdailynews.com/columnists/post.cfm?blog=tim&id=6&story=a-case-against-harper&s=twitter

This baffled me. I posted a comment but I don't know if it will be submitted or whatever (it was clean). I completely disagree with the entire argument. There is no legitimate reason to pass on Bryce Harper.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #555: June 05, 2010, 10:38:13 AM »
Dunn.  I would take him over anyone in baseball at whooping some A. 

A Phillies fan who I work with said that their catcher Ruiz has not been healthy since getting flattened by Dunn and Willingham earlier this season.

:thumbs: :clap: :cheers:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #556: June 05, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »
But, at the same time... you can't draw a line in the dirt to show where you thought the pitch was.

Ichiro was even ejected for doing it.

Exactly. If this was someone else, say a player on the Mets, people would be calling him all kinds of names but because he will probably be drafted by Washington he's hailed as a superhero. Some even have him beating up on opposing players.  :?  Considering he's only 17 it's the opposite of getting your older brother to beat up the bullies.  :rofl:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #557: June 05, 2010, 07:01:57 PM »
so should we hate the guy and pray that we draft some suck ass player who is a saint instead of potentially the best prospect in at least a decade(yes, even above strasburg)

wtf happened to the "i dont like nice guys" spidernat?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #558: June 05, 2010, 08:20:22 PM »
so should we hate the guy and pray that we draft some suck ass player who is a saint instead of potentially the best prospect in at least a decade(yes, even above strasburg)

wtf happened to the "i dont like nice guys" spidernat?

WTF! What are you talking about? When did I ever post anything remotely saying that I don't like nice guys? Who doesn't like nice people? It's only in some people's minds that the idea that I don't like nice guys exists. I guess saying it enough times makes it a mind fact and also it's something convenient to accuse me of. For the umpteenth time, I am on record that I don't want players on the team for the sole reason that they are nice guys. I want a team with the best, most talented, skillful players that can be assembled and I don't give a crap whether they are nice guys or jerks. What matters to me is ONLY that they produce and help my teams win games. I don't care about their personal lives. The only thing that concerns me is that they don't do things that will jeopardize their on field eligibility and performance. I don't care that a player is an jerk and won't sign autographs or is arrogant or cheats on his wife and all that type of crap. What do I care if a player is a nice guy as long as he is making it happen on the field. I do care about players using PED's but that's another topic and it covers both "nice" guys and jerks. When Joe Gibbs suggested that nice guys is the first thing he looked for in a player (and talent was fourth and last on the list) I puked as if I had just spotted Debbi Taylor.

Also, I'm not even sure how you derived from my post that I was insinuating Harper is a bad person and that I would rather the Nationals draft a "saint" type of player.  :lmao:  My post was about people who talk crap about certain players on other teams because they are arrogant or because they are perceived as bad guys but when a perceived similar player (attitude wise) is about to become a Nationals player he is hailed as a hero. I'll give you a perfect example, whenever a player does something like flip a bat after hitting a bomb or celebrate a K people go freaking crazy about the player being an jerk. But when one of our player does the same thing it is seen as swagger and it's called awesome. Just go back and read some of the posts that talked about what they hope Harper (a 17 year old kid) will do by charging the mound and beating up this and that player. What if a Philly fan said that about one of their players beating up some of our players, how do you think some would react to that? It would probably be labeled thuggish behavior. Or what if someone on the Mets charged the mound to beat up one of our pitchers, how would that go over?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #559: June 05, 2010, 08:42:12 PM »
Spider, you need a lemma there about being a teammate. Rizzo picks up team players. That seems to affect on field performance. I think that is relevant to play.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #560: June 05, 2010, 10:23:35 PM »
Anyone see the new SI?  New articles on Harper and Strasburg.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #561: June 05, 2010, 11:51:40 PM »
For those who haven't seen it. Here an article about Bryce Harper. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2010/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=5248377  I didn't know Harper was a Mormon. If we sign him, what happens if he wants to take 2 years off for his Missionary Service time?  :?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #562: June 06, 2010, 12:21:40 AM »
You respect it, but build a provision into the contract that if he pursues it, his contract essentially goes on pause while he does what he has to do.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #563: June 06, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »
My only wish is that Boras and Harper commit to signing early so we can get Harper into Potomac ala Drew Storen.

That being said, I fully intend to again stay up until midnight chatting with all of you on the "will we sign Harper?" thread until 11:59:45 when Jon Heyman tweets that we signed Harper for 4 years for $14 million.

Offline imref

« Reply #564: June 06, 2010, 10:38:59 AM »
without Harper the CSN got eliminated 9-8 by the eventual tournament winners, the Iowa Western Reivers.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #565: June 06, 2010, 01:11:06 PM »
Iowa Western?  Really?  I know the golf coach at Iowa Western

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #566: June 06, 2010, 03:37:54 PM »
I don't care that a player is an jerk and won't sign autographs or is arrogant or cheats on his wife and all that type of crap. What do I care if a player is a nice guy as long as he is making it happen on the field.

You are acting as if the two are easily separated.  That seemingly unimportant off-field stuff is a good way to get a read on someone's general personality and gauge the likelihood that there WILL be a personality-related incident that affects things on the field.

Offline imref

« Reply #567: June 06, 2010, 09:22:19 PM »
Debbie taylor says Rizzo has said we're taking Harper. 

http://masnsports.com/the_goessling_game/2010/06/rizzo-says-harpers-the-guy.html

Ladson says we're moving him to the OF.  Hmmm, if we sign him right away could we do a Mike Leake and start him this weekend in RF?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #568: June 06, 2010, 09:29:05 PM »
We won't see Harper in DC for years.

Offline imref

« Reply #569: June 06, 2010, 09:34:07 PM »
We won't see Harper in DC for years.

Realistically he'll sign at the last minute, play in the AFL, and assuming he is everything they say he is, maybe, just maybe we'll see him next September.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #570: June 06, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »
He's 17 years old playing at a level much lower than D1A. Four years younger than Strasburg was last year.

If he's able to get through the minors next year it would be unbelievable.

Offline imref

« Reply #571: June 06, 2010, 09:49:38 PM »
He's 17 years old playing at a level much lower than D1A. Four years younger than Strasburg was last year.

If he's able to get through the minors next year it would be unbelievable.

Pujols got through it in a year, but he was 20.  Harper turns 18 in October. 

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #572: June 06, 2010, 09:50:51 PM »
3 years at the absolute most.

provided that [DennisGreen]he is who we think he is. [/DennisGreen]

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #573: June 07, 2010, 12:32:51 AM »
If he's as good as they say he is, I wouldn't be shocked if he got a September call up next year.

Offline ChiefChris

« Reply #574: June 07, 2010, 11:07:11 AM »
No need to rush him. Leave him in Syracuse for a decade or so.