Author Topic: Who is your scapegoat?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Who is your scapegoat?
« Reply #25: October 13, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »
George W. Bush

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: October 13, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »
Kenya.

Offline nicksnats

• Uk Natitude!
« Reply #27: October 13, 2012, 06:35:18 PM »
Abu Hamza.

His extradition to the US is a big factor.

« Reply #28: October 13, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »
Davey, he kepted Gio in to long. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #29: October 13, 2012, 09:28:40 PM »
Ian Desmond. For letting three ground balls get through when he got a glove on it.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #30: October 13, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »
The umpires for helping the Cardinals, no the Cardinals for not cutting Kozma, no Storen for giving up the hit to Kozma, no Werth for not playing where the Kozma's hit landed, no Ryan Zimmerman for making the last out, no the pitchers for walking twenty nine Cardinals in five games, no the coaches for not coaching good enough, no Davey Johnson for having those coaches and players, no Mike Rizzo for letting Jim Riggleman manage who quit- leading to Davey Johnson, no Jim Bowden for stinking and Rizzo being hired, no StanK and the plan that led to Bowden to Rizzo to Riggleman to Johnson to coaching staff to pitchers to position players, no Bud Selig for bringing baseball back to Washington DC, no Bob Short for moving the Senators to Texas.  Yep, Bob Short's fault.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #31: October 13, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »
i blame the nats for not keeping the curly W in the outfield, the team hasn't been the same since they stopped doing that.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #32: October 13, 2012, 09:58:33 PM »
The umpires for helping the Cardinals, no the Cardinals for not cutting Kozma, no Storen for giving up the hit to Kozma, no Werth for not playing where the Kozma's hit landed, no Ryan Zimmerman for making the last out, no the pitchers for walking twenty nine Cardinals in five games, no the coaches for not coaching good enough, no Davey Johnson for having those coaches and players, no Mike Rizzo for letting Jim Riggleman manage who quit- leading to Davey Johnson, no Jim Bowden for stinking and Rizzo being hired, no StanK and the plan that led to Bowden to Rizzo to Riggleman to Johnson to coaching staff to pitchers to position players, no Bud Selig for bringing baseball back to Washington DC, no Bob Short for moving the Senators to Texas.  Yep, Bob Short's fault.

:spit:

Offline miller10

« Reply #33: October 13, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Davey

^ (period)

Damned shame that Tito signed with the Indians already...

+1

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #34: October 13, 2012, 10:24:47 PM »
It's all because of bilbo lorblepants

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #35: October 13, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »
I blame my red curly W cap.  We lost all 3 games that I wore it during.  I'm going to burn that stupid thing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #36: October 13, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »
I suggest flipping it into a nice muddy creek next to a sewer outfall. Not that that has ever been done before.

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #37: October 13, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »
American Airlines... for having a cheap one way flight to DC from San Antonio that I booked for the first game of the World Series after we went up 6-0. If they had a more expensive flight, I would have waited until Tuesday when flights are typically cheaper.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #38: October 13, 2012, 11:55:38 PM »
Me because I didn't go to the game after the Thursday night game. I knew I should've gone. I had this feeling. I freaking knew it. Should've ponied up the 90$.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #39: October 14, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
Storen- Obvious. Brilliant idea to draft a closer with a top 10 pick when most closers are the same. I don't know why he allowed the runner to steal on him in the 9th. The runner made it to 2nd base before Storen even threw the pitch.

EJax- Don't let the door hit you on the way out

Davey- His game 3 decision to use Storen in a meaningless spot might have been the reason Storen collapsed yesterday.

Gio- Worst ace ever? I bet even Livan and Lannan wouldn't walk that many guys with a 6-0 lead.

Clippard- I called him giving up a HR in this game. He always does. How hard is it to get out the bottom of the order scrubs?
Again, the whole team.

Offline twillia1

« Reply #40: October 14, 2012, 11:56:23 AM »
GMUNat could not be more right, although I suggest Davey gets top billing for his mis-management. We need to be ruthless about this experience and commited to getting losers out of the way; please rid us of as many of these top 5 as possible

Offline bhull09

« Reply #41: October 14, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »
It has to be Davey.  Not saying he didn't do a great job this year but he made some serious mistakes in Game 5:

1) using Edwin Jackson -- the first inning has been his worst inning by far all season.  How could Davey think he'd be effective in relief?

2) letting Storen pitch after Descalso tied the game.  It was clear Storen was off his game in that inning.  He was unhappy with the strike zone and was clearly demoralized/rattled after letting the tying run to score.  Loyalty to your players is admirable but Davey owed it to the other guys on the team to try someone else.  He had Matthews and Garcia available.

3) pitching to Kouzma in the 9th (regardless of who was pitching).   I don't care how bad a hitter Kouzma was in the minors, he was hitting in this series.  (Just ask the folks who attended Game 3).  Mott was scheduled to hit next and the Cardinals were down to their back-up catcher to pinch hit.  Walking Kouzma allows us to get an out at any base and gets Mott out of the game.

Given the emotional let down that everyone felt after the game was tied, the biggest, most important thing we needed after Descalso's hit was to keep the game tied.  (Look at how the Tigers came back yesterday).

Mike Mattheny admitted after the game that they really wanted to find a way to keep Mott in.

Davey should have all realized this.  He rightfully boasted in Game 1 that he controlled the match-up at the end of the game that lead to Tyler Moore's clutch base hit yet he botched the 9th in Game 5 big time.  Davey was the manager with the post-season experience.  He was the one praised for always thinking ahead, being strategic etc.  Was he stunned like the rest of us by the events of the 9th inning?  Fans can be stunned but managers can't be. 

I'm not saying we would have won the game.  I am saying our chances would have been much, much better if the game was tied.  Delmon Young (one of the hitting heroes of Game 1 of the ALCS) said that it takes an inning or two for a team to get over losing a lead in the 9th.  (Valverde blew another lead, this one was 3-0).  Regardless of how low everyone flet, we needed to scratch, claw, bite our way back into the game and to do that we needed to summon every ounce of energy to get out of the 9th tied.  Even if you think Drew Storen is a great pitcher (I do not), even great pitchers have bad days and Davey had more than enough evidence to know that Drew was having one.

Presumably the void I feel after Game 5 will go away but it won't be soon.  Regardless of what the Nats' brass (and many fans keep saying), there is no guarantee we will be back to this spot again.  I obviously hope so but until we do, it will be hard to let this go.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #42: October 14, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »
Why does there have to be a scapegoat? They lost as a team and they won as a team. We weren't even supposed to contend quite yet and look where we were. We've improved leaps and bounds over the past 7 years and I'm happy that we are even able to be distraught right now, as weird as that may be to say. I will not watch anymore baseball until spring. No reason to pick on one player as a scapegoat, if you want a scapegoat, pick the whole team.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #43: October 14, 2012, 12:16:17 PM »
Terp, weren't you listening?  It's all my stupid hat's fault! ;)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #44: October 14, 2012, 12:17:20 PM »
Well, I did wear my Zimmy jersey for the first time while watching a game this year. That said, we also scored 6 runs early and looked great... early. sigh

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: October 14, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »
Why does there have to be a scapegoat? They lost as a team and they won as a team. We weren't even supposed to contend quite yet and look where we were. We've improved leaps and bounds over the past 7 years and I'm happy that we are even able to be distraught right now, as weird as that may be to say. I will not watch anymore baseball until spring. No reason to pick on one player as a scapegoat, if you want a scapegoat, pick the whole team.

The ball was handed to a closer with a two run lead- no different than a kicker missing a 30 yard field goal in the closing seconds.  The offense put up enough runs and the rest of the staff got the ball to storen with a lead in the 9th

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #46: October 14, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
The ball was handed to a closer with a two run lead- no different than a kicker missing a 30 yard field goal in the closing seconds.  The offense put up enough runs and the rest of the staff got the ball to storen with a lead in the 9th

Even football fans know that blaming the kicker is faulty thinking.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #47: October 14, 2012, 01:10:10 PM »
If this was HRod choking away a two run lead,  people would be out for (metaphorical) blood,  but because it's storen,  people are coming up with excuses

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #48: October 14, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
If this was HRod choking away a two run lead,  people would be out for (metaphorical) blood,  but because it's storen,  people are coming up with excuses

Track records.  Storen has equity built up, HRod doesn't.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #49: October 14, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »
And look what followed that...
I suggest flipping it into a nice muddy creek next to a sewer outfall. Not that that has ever been done before.