Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Brad Peacock, RHP  (Read 33955 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Follow the Prospects: Brad Peacock, RHP
« Reply #75: May 26, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
Needs to improve his change up... but he could kill it in the bullpen for the Nats, right now.

His fastball/knuckle curve combo is just sick, though.

i don't move him out of the rotation.  a 3 pitch arsenal isn't ideal, but if his stuff is that good that he can get by.  have you seen him in multiple instances?  maybe his change just wasn't working that day?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #76: May 26, 2011, 12:41:02 PM »
i don't move him out of the rotation.  a 3 pitch arsenal isn't ideal, but if his stuff is that good that he can get by.  have you seen him in multiple instances?  maybe his change just wasn't working that day?

Oh, I don't want to see him moved from the rotation at all.

I was just saying, his fastball/curveball are good enough, the Nats COULD call him up today and he'd kill it in the bullpen.

Seeing him in person, his change up is as advertised. It's a bit of a floater... but it does have a good 11-13 MPH difference between that and his fastball. The arm speed is the same. He has control of it... but he doesn't have command of it, if that makes sense. He can get it in the strike zone... but he can't get that good depth to make it drop, YET.

I fully expect with a bit more time in the minors, his change up will become a plus pitch.

Three pitches are plenty for a Major League starter.

Hell, I could see him putting up a 4.25-4.50 ERA right now as a big league starter. His fastball/curve combo is that good... plus the difference in speed on the change would get quite a few swings and misses. The problem with his change is, if a hitter is looking for it, it can be a gopher ball pitch.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #77: May 26, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »
Oh, I don't want to see him moved from the rotation at all.

I was just saying, his fastball/curveball are good enough, the Nats COULD call him up today and he'd kill it in the bullpen.

cool totally understand.

Seeing him in person, his change up is as advertised. It's a bit of a floater... but it does have a good 11-13 MPH difference between that and his fastball. The arm speed is the same. He has control of it... but he doesn't have command of it, if that makes sense. He can get it in the strike zone... but he can't get that good depth to make it drop, YET.

I fully expect with a bit more time in the minors, his change up will become a plus pitch.

Three pitches are plenty for a Major League starter.

Hell, I could see him putting up a 4.25-4.50 ERA right now as a big league starter. His fastball/curve combo is that good... plus the difference in speed on the change would get quite a few swings and misses. The problem with his change is, if a hitter is looking for it, it can be a gopher ball pitch.

got ya ... i'm sure it's not a high number in his pitching tendency chart, but i admire the fact he knows he has to improve it.  he can start throwing it as a waste pitch when he's ahead in the count.

i like the fact maya has been pitching well recently, but if we were to need a starter, maybe it really should be peacock?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #78: May 26, 2011, 12:50:47 PM »
i like the fact maya has been pitching well recently, but if we were to need a starter, maybe it really should be peacock?

Due to Rizzo being a slave to options... not a chance it'll be Peacock.

I could maybe see him get one start in late September... but I'd expect some AAA starts next year with a May/June 2012 full call-up.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #79: May 26, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »
Peacock's day over with a bit of a falter in the 8th.

6.2IP, 3H, 2R, 2ER, 1BB, 9K

Stuff of legends I tell ya!

For the year, 75/10 K/BB, 2.13 ERA, 0.80 WHIP, 12.27 K/9, 1.63 BB/9, 7.50 K/BB

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #80: May 26, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »
Peacock's day over with a bit of a falter in the 8th.

6.2IP, 3H, 2R, 2ER, 1BB, 9K

Stuff of legends I tell ya!

For the year, 75/10 K/BB, 2.13 ERA, 0.80 WHIP, 12.27 K/9, 1.63 BB/9, 7.50 K/BB

that's just sick.  just sick.  :az:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #81: May 26, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »
VanAllen freaked him over. May cost the Sens the win

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #82: May 26, 2011, 02:06:40 PM »
Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein
You'll read about him tomorrow. RT @sportsfan882: @Kevin_Goldstein How good can Brad Peacock be? 7-1 w/ 2.13 ERA in AA after today's start.

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #83: May 26, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »
Strasburg Peacock Zimmermann, now that's what i'm talking about. I remember people talking about how we didn't have any upside arms in our system other than Strasburg. LOL at them for not seeing this hurricane named Peacock coming.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #84: May 27, 2011, 01:21:47 PM »
From Goldstein today, #3 SP potential with room to grow. I think we'll take that :clap:

Stras-JZ-Peacock. Wow three SPs that can throw the ball 95 MPH with great control and breaking pitches. Could be like the Giants' rotation.

Brad Peacock, RHP, Nationals (Double-A Harrisburg): 6.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 9 K

That line is actually from Wednesday, but I didn't hear from a scout about the game until yesterday afternoon. Few pitchers have been more impressive of late, as Peacock has whiffed 33 over 19.2 innings in his last three outings while allowing just nine hits and four walks, and the stuff is backing up the numbers. The 23-year-old is not overwhelming physically, but with super-fast arm action, he's consistently sitting in the low-to-mid 90s with his fastball, and the pitch plays up from there due to his ability to locate and use both sides of the plate. He'll flash a good curve ball and decent change, and even with secondary pitches that lag a bit behind, he projects as a number three starter with room to grow if his arsenal does.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #85: May 27, 2011, 01:32:14 PM »
Bring him up.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #86: May 27, 2011, 01:33:41 PM »
I'd rather watch Peacock than Lannan.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #87: May 27, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »
And Peacock is #3 on BA's Hot Sheet list this week:

Team: Double-A Harrisburg (Eastern)
Why He's Here: 2-0, 2.13, 2 GS, 12 2/3 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 19 SO, 3 BB
The Scoop: While questions loomed about his future as a starter after a stint in the bullpen during the Arizona Fall League, Peacock has certainly eased those concerns, if not completely erased them, with his recent performance. He's utilized his plus knuckle-curve to rack up an impressive 75 strikeouts in only 55 innings of work, while only walking 10 batters. Peacock's strikeout-to-walk ratio is an otherworldly 7.50; that number stands in stark contrast to his work at Harrisburg in 2010 (1.36 K/BB). He's also made improvements in keeping the ball down this year, a problem for Peacock in the past. He's surrendered two home runs on the season.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/prospect-hot-sheet/2011/2611814.html

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #88: May 27, 2011, 02:15:16 PM »
From Goldstein today, #3 SP potential with room to grow. I think we'll take that :clap:

Stras-JZ-Peacock. Wow three SPs that can throw the ball 95 MPH with great control and breaking pitches. Could be like the Giants' rotation.

Don't forget Cole (who has surpassed my expectations for him in his first season) who can throw it up there. 

But we've been doing this for years: look to the future.  Getting tired of it.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #89: May 27, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
Don't forget Cole (who has surpassed my expectations for him in his first season) who can throw it up there. 

But we've been doing this for years: look to the future.  Getting tired of it.
True he's on the list but Stras-JZ-Peacock is something we could realistically see next season sometime. Oh how sick it would be :pray: Especially if we can get Meyers, Milone, or Maya to amount to anything. :az:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #90: May 29, 2011, 04:57:24 AM »
Erm, a jump of K/BB from 1.36 to 7.50 in a single season? How does that even happen?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #91: May 29, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
if maya gets shelled today, would you give him another start or let meyers/peacock/milone get a shot.  i doubt they would call up one of those three.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #92: May 29, 2011, 10:11:19 AM »
They'll give Maya at least two or three starts...

Online blue911

« Reply #93: May 29, 2011, 10:16:04 AM »
make him go quail hunting with dick cheney

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #94: May 29, 2011, 11:53:22 AM »
If Gorzelanny is really only going to be on the shelf for two weeks, let Maya stay in the rotation the whole time he's on the DL. 

Offline RD

« Reply #95: May 29, 2011, 04:09:58 PM »
Erm, a jump of K/BB from 1.36 to 7.50 in a single season? How does that even happen?

Small sample size. He only pitched 38 innings at Harrisburg last year.

At Potomac, he struck out 118 with just 25 walks. Just under 5.

His elevation to Harrisburg, he was 30/22.

Even with the control problems at Harrisburg, he was still over 3/1 for the season.

Nonetheless, still a big improvement.

Maybe his time in the AFL as a reliever, gave him the confidence to attack and try to blow it by hitters. Apparently, it's carried over.

« Reply #96: May 31, 2011, 09:04:24 PM »
Peacock tonight. 7ip 2h 0ER 0R 3bb 7 K's Lowers his era to 1.89 ... this guy is going nuts right now.

actually he walked a guy in the 8th and left. and the guy scored so , he allowed 1 Earned run. and he still lowered his era to 2.03.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #97: June 01, 2011, 01:04:37 AM »
peacock > maya

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #98: June 01, 2011, 03:10:21 AM »
So when will he move to AAA? He's kicking ass. I want him to be one of those guys we see early on and somehow grab a spot in the rotation.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #99: June 01, 2011, 09:11:21 AM »
So when will he move to AAA? He's kicking ass. I want him to be one of those guys we see early on and somehow grab a spot in the rotation.

I'd love to see him be the one to replace Marquis when he is eventually dealt.