Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 50773 times)

Offline nobleisthyname

Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #500: December 08, 2012, 04:59:56 PM »
I voted LaRoche originally as well but now I'm pretty split. I won't be unhappy whichever way this turns out.

Losing LaRoche and keeping Morse gives us a nice comp pick to help rebuild the farm and probably better offensive numbers from first (assuming a healthy Morse) and cheaper to boot. Morse is certainly a big downgrade defensively at first but it's at the least important position. Simply keeping him out of the outfield will save some runs defensively overall. My biggest issue with this decision is health as Morse has struggled with it all his career.

Losing Morse and resigning LaRoche is more expensive but assuming it's only on a two year deal I think we won't hurt too much from lack of production due to his age. Also if this means we can flip Morse for prospects then that should be roughly equivalent to whoever we may get from a comp pick. And as much as I disparaged defensive value at first base when discussing Morse, keeping LaRoche means we have gold glove caliber defense at every position (assuming Werth can bounce back which is admittedly a stretch).

Both guys are great in the clubhouse so I consider that a wash as losing either one will suck in that department.

So all in all I don't think we can go wrong with either decision.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #501: December 08, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »
I voted LaRoche originally as well but now I'm pretty split. I won't be unhappy whichever way this turns out.

Losing LaRoche and keeping Morse gives us a nice comp pick to help rebuild the farm and probably better offensive numbers from first (assuming a healthy Morse) and cheaper to boot. Morse is certainly a big downgrade defensively at first but it's at the least important position. Simply keeping him out of the outfield will save some runs defensively overall. My biggest issue with this decision is health as Morse has struggled with it all his career.

Losing Morse and resigning LaRoche is more expensive but assuming it's only on a two year deal I think we won't hurt too much from lack of production due to his age. Also if this means we can flip Morse for prospects then that should be roughly equivalent to whoever we may get from a comp pick. And as much as I disparaged defensive value at first base when discussing Morse, keeping LaRoche means we have gold glove caliber defense at every position (assuming Werth can bounce back which is admittedly a stretch).
Both guys are great in the clubhouse so I consider that a wash as losing either one will suck in that department.
So all in all I don't think we can go wrong with either decision.

The tiebreaker should be who has the best walk up song.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #502: December 08, 2012, 07:59:24 PM »
If the Rangers lose out on Hamilton then I suspect that they will go hard after LaRoche to replace that left-handed pop.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #503: December 08, 2012, 09:40:43 PM »
That's a good point.  I can see LaRoche in Texas - with or without Hamilton.  Boras is probably trying to sell them on Bourn as well. 

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
« Reply #504: December 08, 2012, 10:37:49 PM »
It's Christmas season. Time to get greedy. Asking Santa for both.

Offline Misfit

« Reply #505: December 09, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »

Bring back Morse, take the draft pick for LaRoche.
This.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #506: December 09, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
If the Rangers lose out on Hamilton then I suspect that they will go hard after LaRoche to replace that left-handed pop.
I'm going to assume now that Texas lost out on Greinke, they will bring back Hamilton. 

I'm not sure they should go for LaRoche because of the presence of the still cheap Moreland. 

Offline PC

« Reply #507: December 09, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »
I'm going to assume now that Texas lost out on Greinke, they will bring back Hamilton. 

I'm not sure they should go for LaRoche because of the presence of the still cheap Moreland. 

If they're willing to offer Greinke anything close to what he got from the Dodgers then, clearly, money is not an object.  If they want him, they'll give him the 3rd year.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #508: December 09, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »
If they're willing to offer Greinke anything close to what he got from the Dodgers then, clearly, money is not an object.  If they want him, they'll give him the 3rd year.
Money isn't an object but the third year would make any team pause.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #509: December 10, 2012, 08:14:52 AM »
Money isn't an object but the third year would make any team pause.

Plus potentially losing a draft pick.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #510: December 10, 2012, 08:40:06 AM »
The Dodgers overpaid for Greinke because he very much wanted to go to Texas, or made it appear so, and made it known that it would take a considerably higher offer to lure him away.  And the Dodger front office had no choice but to pay him, because they were given a mandate to sign him and an unlimited budget.   I don't think LaRoche is a similar situation.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #511: December 10, 2012, 11:23:26 AM »
Greinke seems to be a real piece of work.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #512: December 10, 2012, 11:32:20 AM »
Greinke seems to be a real piece of work.

How so?

Offline zoom

« Reply #513: December 10, 2012, 11:52:02 AM »
i am getting a little sick of this waiting game (i wouldn't be a very patient GM).  ALR, sign or move on. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #514: December 10, 2012, 11:53:22 AM »
A person I know here who knows the family says that LaRoche is seriously leaning toward Boston.  In fact, it may be a foregone conclusion.   :(

Offline PC

« Reply #515: December 10, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »
A person I know here who knows the family says that LaRoche is seriously leaning toward Boston.  In fact, it may be a foregone conclusion.   :(

Napoli.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #516: December 10, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
Napoli.

I'm just saying what I heard. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #517: December 10, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »

YES!

Offline Upark25

« Reply #518: December 10, 2012, 01:35:29 PM »

Dosen't really make sense but I hope he takes the deal. I'm hoping for an all homegrown(besides Werth) lineup in 2015

Offline Ray D

« Reply #519: December 10, 2012, 01:37:34 PM »
Dosen't really make sense but I hope he takes the deal.

It doesn't make sense. Period.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #520: December 10, 2012, 01:39:54 PM »
I don't see ALR in Boston after the Napoli signing.  There just aren't enough at bats even if you see Napoli rotating between first, catcher, and DH (at least not enough until Salty is traded and maybe Lavarnway, too, to open up the primary catcher spot).  I'm also suspicious of pull hitting lefties with just enough power in Fenway after the Crawford experience.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #521: December 10, 2012, 01:53:57 PM »
Even if Napoli plays other positions, LaRoche doesn't. And first base will be Napoli's primary position. That means, whenever Napoli plays first base, LaRoche sits.  He isn't going to be DH.   

Does someone think the idea that LaRoche plays first most of the time and they try to fit Napoli where they can?  Uh uh.  They're paying him way too much for that to be the plan.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #522: December 10, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »
Dosen't really make sense but I hope he takes the deal. I'm hoping for an all homegrown(besides Werth) lineup in 2015

Technically, ramos isn't home grown

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #523: December 10, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »

...  and Morse

Offline Ray D

« Reply #524: December 10, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »
Neither is Morse.