Author Topic: You can just feel it. This is where.....  (Read 8189 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: You can just feel it. This is where.....
« Reply #250: May 30, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »
Who's Erica?

Ericas Nats was a poster here around the rise of this forum till probably ~2007-2008.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #251: May 30, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »
Ericas Nats was a poster here around the rise of this forum to probably 2007-2008.

She still stops in once in a blue moon.  She and her husband moved out to Seattle for professional reasons a few years back.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #252: May 30, 2011, 07:15:23 PM »
She still stops in once in a blue moon.  She and her husband moved out to Seattle for professional reasons a few years back.

Thanks, way before my time.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #253: May 30, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »
Since Gleason2 made this thread the nats have been:

1-8

and were

2-10 three days before.

While the Nats were not swept in the Milwaukee and San Diego series as I predicted they would be, my larger point was still shown to be valid.  The team has hit the wall for this season already, and it's not going to get better.  By the time Zimmerman is ready to go, they'll be so far out of it that he could not possibly help make a dent in their undeniable trajectory to the bottom of the league.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #254: May 30, 2011, 09:48:29 PM »
While the Nats were not swept in the Milwaukee and San Diego series as I predicted they would be, my larger point was still shown to be valid.  The team has hit the wall for this season already, and it's not going to get better.  By the time Zimmerman is ready to go, they'll be so far out of it that he could not possibly help make a dent in their undeniable trajectory to the bottom of the league.

You were dead on, sorry to say.

Offline NeedaNewNick

« Reply #255: May 30, 2011, 10:34:26 PM »
and the Nats are without their two best players by far.

the Giants are missing their two top offensive players and are still winning

no one can fix the appalling decision making that takes everyday with this org among the owners, the GM, and the manager - excessive bunting, double switching, salary dumping, expecting to fans to believe Matt Stairs is a "mentor" - all happens with/without healthy Zimmerman, Stras, etc.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #256: May 30, 2011, 11:30:02 PM »
I think that might be the one thing the team does well.

excessive bunting,

Offline Sharp

« Reply #257: May 31, 2011, 01:25:21 AM »
the Giants are missing their two top offensive players and are still winning

no one can fix the appalling decision making that takes everyday with this org among the owners, the GM, and the manager - excessive bunting, double switching, salary dumping, expecting to fans to believe Matt Stairs is a "mentor" - all happens with/without healthy Zimmerman, Stras, etc.
The Giants' missing offense is going to cost them what, maybe six or seven wins from last year, when they won the NL West and had more than 90 wins?  The Nationals are coming from below .500 and need to increase their win total in order to reach it.  The situations aren't really comparable.  The Twins, on the other hand, appear to have lost their best pitcher (Liriano) and their best batter (Mauer), in addition to a ton of other players.  They've gone from first to worst in a single season.

Don't get me wrong.  I think the organization has done a lot of things wrong.  Keeping batters like Matt Stairs up here is inexcusable.  But Stairs has very few at-bats in which to suck.  Players like Cora, injured LaRoche, and Lannan making regular appearances has far more to do with why this is a lost season.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #258: May 31, 2011, 01:28:12 AM »
Don't get me wrong.  I think the organization has done a lot of things wrong.  Keeping batters like Matt Stairs up here is inexcusable.  But Stairs has very few at-bats in which to suck.  Players like Cora, injured LaRoche, and Lannan making regular appearances has far more to do with why this is a lost season.

The fact that everyone knows this and yet harps on Stairs anyway is a tacit admission of the extremely low expectations we have of this franchise's management.  Everyone knows that the other stuff you mention isn't going to be addressed.  We can at least hope that a 5-failure player like Stairs is insignificant enough to be dumped.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #259: May 31, 2011, 01:36:54 AM »
There's really not a whole lot the Lerners can do at this point with the hole they've dug themselves into.  They can't really offer prospects for FAs because the farm system only just reached "middle-of-the-pack" status--we don't have enough to throw the good ones away.  They can offer money to FAs, and have--but they can only do so much and the FAs still have to agree.  I'm not saying this to excuse them for the wasted previous five or six years where they could have done something about it, just pointing out that right now, there's very little they can do.  Getting Morse more at-bats and moving him to first base is a good start, but there aren't a whole lot of other players in the minors right now who are ready to immediately contribute at the major league level.  Marrero, Peacock, maybe a few others might be better than some of the players we have now, but bringing them up at this point could also disrupt their development.  Certainly, there's no one around who can replace the near best-in-the-majors production expected out of Zimm and Stras.

So are the Lerners, Rizzo, and Riggleman doing some things wrong?  Yes.  Do they deserve our vitriol?  Probably.  Is there any realistic way that any of us, if we simply swapped roles at this instant, could do much of anything useful other than DFA Stairs and start planning for the draft?  Probably not.

Offline NeedaNewNick

« Reply #260: May 31, 2011, 07:38:45 AM »
Is there any realistic way that any of us, if we simply swapped roles at this instant, could do much of anything useful other than DFA Stairs and start planning for the draft?  Probably not.

couldn't save the season, but a better leader could create an "expect to win" atmosphere that would carry over, and end the atrocious decision making that runs through the org from the Lerners to Rizzo to Riggleman

the publicly made injury excuses are just a reflection of how poorly this franchise is run, something that won't change with prospects coming up or guys coming off the DL

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #261: May 31, 2011, 07:53:59 AM »
I don't really want to go back and look at previous months in which the Nats only won five or six games. I think June '10 and May of '09 were the two worst months in franchise history, but this feels worse. I think it feels so much worse because the Nats aren't just losing, but are losing close games. The close games hurt worse than the blowouts, because the blowouts are flipped off or the loss is accepted in the first 4 innings. With these games the loss isn't real until the game ends. The Nats just lost three one run games in a row after ending a five game losing streak that had three other one run losses. The loss against Florida a couple weeks back with Bernies' catch felt like a closely played game that the Nationals just lost. I don't know if that is because they were winning more at that time or if it is the pathetic nature of how they have performed with runners in scoring position recently. Sunday against the Padres they had a runner on second with no outs on more than one occasion and nothing they did got the run home. Then yesterday they had runners on first and third in the 7th inning and failed in the most pathetic way possible. 

Offline Sharp

« Reply #262: May 31, 2011, 08:09:14 AM »
After we had a fair number of wins in one-run games to begin the season with one of the worst close-game managers in major league history at the helm, what did you expect, exactly?  Personally, I'll take losing in one-run games over losing in blowouts any day.  Of course, I'd take winning over either of those two options, but I don't see why losing close games is the worse option, here.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #263: May 31, 2011, 09:07:07 AM »
After we had a fair number of wins in one-run games to begin the season with one of the worst close-game managers in major league history at the helm, what did you expect, exactly?  Personally, I'll take losing in one-run games over losing in blowouts any day.  Of course, I'd take winning over either of those two options, but I don't see why losing close games is the worse option, here.

Psychologically it feels worse because the loss isn't a reality until the end of the game. Being 4-12 in one run games is a little flukey and speaks to that fact that when a certain player gets back he might make a bit of a difference. It isn't in reality worse, but it is emotionally worse. Right now the Nats are a giant cock tease. They keep letting the fans get to third base but keep leaving us with blue balls.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #264: May 31, 2011, 09:23:36 AM »
I don't really want to go back and look at previous months in which the Nats only won five or six games. I think June '10 and May of '09 were the two worst months in franchise history, but this feels worse.

The Nats' record for fewest wins in a month is five, set twice:

July 2008 (5-19)
April 2009 (5-16 - season did not begin until the 6th)

Pending tonight's result the Nats will finish May either 11-17 or 10-18; on 13 different occasions they have won fewer than 10 matches in a month (March and October not counted separately; most recent such month was June of last season when they went 8-19).