Author Topic: Kayaking  (Read 633 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Kayaking
« Topic Start: July 19, 2012, 06:14:27 PM »
Anybody into Kayaking?

My Sea Eagle SE-330 inflatable kayak arrived today and was wondering if people had reocmmended launches or water trails in the area. I haven't gotten into white water although someday I might. I think I'll head out to Mason Neck. It seemed like a good one.

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Kayaking
« Reply #1: July 19, 2012, 07:15:41 PM »
When I was a kid just down river from great falls used to be a staple

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2: July 19, 2012, 07:59:20 PM »
Anybody into Kayaking?

My Sea Eagle SE-330 inflatable kayak arrived today and was wondering if people had reocmmended launches or water trails in the area. I haven't gotten into white water although someday I might. I think I'll head out to Mason Neck. It seemed like a good one.

Depending on where you live  ...  the river around Algonquin Park near Sterling, VA is an easy paddle.    There is a public launch there ($3 or so launch fee honor system).

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: July 19, 2012, 10:16:58 PM »
Anybody into Kayaking?

a good friend of mine rides play boats in the potomac and in west virginia.   I don't have the nerve to try that, but I've kayaked a few times in Florida while on vacation (kayaking is the mangrove coves in Ft. Meyers beach while dolphins swim by is one of the coolest experiences of my life.

I know there are lots of kayaking clubs in the area, and lots of opportunities to get out on the shenandoah or potomac.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: July 19, 2012, 10:17:39 PM »
Depending on where you live  ...  the river around Algonquin Park near Sterling, VA is an easy paddle.    There is a public launch there ($3 or so launch fee honor system).

there's a launch in Pohick Bay Park as well that looks really nice.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #5: July 20, 2012, 09:02:23 AM »
I live in D.C. but suspect I will take some weekend trips now.

I appreciate the suggestions so far.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #6: July 20, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »

It's funny that you mention this because suddenly kayaking has become all the rage at my work. They apparently have some nice stuff up near Deep Creek Lake at Adventure Sports... I think that's what it's called.

http://adventuresportscenter.com/

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #7: July 20, 2012, 09:06:23 AM »
If your looking for serenity and not "action", Black Hills Regional Park in Germantown is a beautiful lake with electric-only motor restrictions and a $5 put-in ramp. No park entrance fees.