Author Topic: Miami does not deserve sports teams?  (Read 492 times)

Offline PatsNats28

Miami does not deserve sports teams?
« Topic Start: January 29, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »
http://www.sbnation.com/2011/1/19/1940438/home-field-advantage-sports-stats-data

Just look at the home field team charts... Heat are 26/30, Fins are 32/32 (with ~-12%, meaning that playing at home actually hurts them significantly), Marlins are 29/30, Panthers are 30/30. They got an overall score of -20; most teams were near 100 (the worst of the rest were in the 70s or so).

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Miami does not deserve sports teams?
« Reply #1: January 29, 2011, 01:53:13 PM »
Miami is full of distractions.  I saw several starting Hurricanes doing blow at Tony Roma's the night before a huge game against Oklahoma.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2: January 29, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »
Miami is full of distractions.  I saw several starting Hurricanes doing blow at Tony Roma's the night before a huge game against Oklahoma.

Recently? They just had a home and home with OU the past couple years.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: January 29, 2011, 11:46:04 PM »
No, not all...quite a few years ago.  Though to put the game in context, the Heisman winner was on one team and a finalist was on the other (though neither was at Tony Roma's that night, that I saw at least).

Recently? They just had a home and home with OU the past couple years.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #4: January 29, 2011, 11:53:45 PM »

Oh to be rich and famous. Joe Blow, no pun intended, loses his/her life and goes to prison for years if caught with drugs. Sports players can use in the open without any fear. And Charlie Sheen can order briefcases full of cocaine, to the point where if a cop just stopped him, or followed him for ten minutes, would get a drug bust greater than they get from the tunnel systems between Texas and Mexico. The double standard that exists is sickening.

Sorry for taking it off topic, just shocking there are public sports figures that do cocaine in public, not in some VIP section when honest people lose their loves for a handful of small possession busts. On topic, Miami is probably only second to Las Vegas in being unsuitable for sports teams. Highly transient population, tons of other activities to do, during football, basketball and hockey season, unlike most areas being cold, they're out on the beach. And you have a massive population of immigrants that grew up in another culture, with a focus on other sports (Aside from baseball.) it's a shock any sports team has ever found any success there.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #5: January 30, 2011, 01:04:15 AM »
Pretty sure Joe Blows were getting away with doing blow in the mid-eighties.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #6: January 30, 2011, 07:42:35 AM »
Joe Blow, no pun intended, loses his/her life and goes to prison for years if caught with drugs.

Sorry, but I think you left a few things out.  This only occurs if they they're caught multiple times for large quantities of "hard" drugs (i.e. drugs in CSA Schedules I and II); in other words carrying enough to be considered distributing (which is not much, granted).  If you're caught with smaller quantities you usually plea out the first time for probation and a lesser charge and non-court ordered rehab or, when you're caught a second, third, fourth or fifth time,  are given a chance to complete a court ordered and supervised rehab stint.  You get plenty of chances not to take up space behind bars, unless you're carrying enough to be considered a distributor.

Sports players can use in the open without any fear.

OJ Mayo, Ricky Williams, Lawrence Taylor, Chris "Speedball" Andersen, Doc Gooden, and Steve Howe disagree.

And Charlie Sheen can order briefcases full of cocaine, to the point where if a cop just stopped him, or followed him for ten minutes, would get a drug bust greater than they get from the tunnel systems between Texas and Mexico. The double standard that exists is sickening.

Assuming this suitcase of cocaine story is true (which it probably is) you ignored probably cause in your scenario.  I also think you're severely underestimating what a narco-state Mexico is becoming, particularly with the recent action around the border.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #7: January 30, 2011, 10:43:56 AM »
Wait, the heat are that bad with attendance despite the douchebag, the velociraptor, and dwayne wade? Lol nba

Edit: I can't read, smdh

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #8: January 30, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »
haha yeah, it's before this season. even then, it's still pathetic.