Author Topic: Have a seat at the bar.  (Read 79774 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Have a seat at the bar.
« Reply #100: October 10, 2009, 02:55:20 PM »
i don't like orange juice but it tasted worse than just normal orange juice. could only take a few sips at a time. yuk

i rarely ever drink. no need to

If you don't like orange juice, why would you order a drink that has OJ as the main ingredient?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #101: October 10, 2009, 03:10:02 PM »
so you don't like Orange Juice.  Try Vodka with a juice that you DO like.  Vodka mixes well with pretty much everything.

most people I've seen drink Vodka with Cranberry juice.  some with Pineapple juice. one of my regular bar customers drinks his with grapefruit juice.

well of course there no "need" to drink.  just like there is no "need" to post on a message board, but you do that, right?

it's just something you do for enjoyment. whether you enjoy the sensation of being drunk, or you just enjoy the taste of a well-made cocktail.

you don't have to go out and get hammered in order to be someone who "drinks". there's nothing wrong with enjoying a drink or two and then going about your business. plenty of people do it.

personally, I don't drink all the time, and I don't go out and have a lot of drinks at once. but I'll enjoy a cocktail every once in a while. especially now that I'm bartending, i need to know what all the liquors taste like, so I'm starting to drink just a little bit more often.

anyone who "needs" to drink is in serious trouble.

I would contend that sportsfan needs to drink or smoke weed.  And I find it fitting that he is repulsed by something as benign as a screwdriver.  Do you like chocolate or anything else that is generally accepted as awesome?  I think you said you liked rice once and that kind of blew my mind. Nothing wrong with rice, but it is an odd favorite food.

We should play a game "What drink or anything else would sportsfan like?"

Possibly Michelob Ultra diluted to half its potency, then frozen and blended into a slushie? Or maybe he would actually like mooshine just so he could be like "God, that's awful. I hate it so much I love it! Uggghhhhhh! Yeeahhhhhhhhhhhh! freak Shaone Morrissonn (Caps Dman SF hates)!"

Offline blue911

« Reply #102: October 10, 2009, 03:13:45 PM »

We should play a game "What drink or anything else would sportsfan like?"

Screaming Nazi.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #103: October 10, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »
I think you said you liked rice once and that kind of blew my mind. Nothing wrong with rice, but it is an odd favorite food.

Hot sake.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #104: October 10, 2009, 05:15:31 PM »

personally, I don't drink all the time, and I don't go out and have a lot of drinks at once. but I'll enjoy a cocktail every once in a while. especially now that I'm bartending, i need to know what all the liquors taste like, so I'm starting to drink just a little bit more often.

Research ... It's all about the science.

« Reply #105: October 10, 2009, 05:30:25 PM »
i rarely ever drink. no need to

I think you are someone who would benefit by having a drink and smoking a doobie or two. I guarantee it would open you to worlds in your mind you could never imagine. It would probably also help you seem less like a guy who has a bunch of cork shoved up his ass. :lol:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #106: October 10, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »
im not a big drinker but some mixed drinks are freaking delicious

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #107: October 10, 2009, 07:43:03 PM »
Like Nathan said...chilled is straight up.  Neat is right out of the bottle.  Has anyone tried the flavored Stoli's or Grey Goose?  I've been debating buying the Grey Goose pear but don't want to drop $50 on something that sucks.  I bought some Absolut Vanilla and it's awesome with OJ.  It's like a creamsicle.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #108: October 10, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
grey goose is terrible. buy absolut peach instead.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #109: October 10, 2009, 11:41:56 PM »
i mean absolut pear

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #110: October 11, 2009, 12:36:47 AM »
There is an excellent Polish vodka called Żubrówka...it's flavoured with grass, quite possibly grass pissed on by buffalo.  Anyways, it's hard to find in the U.S., but it is in most provincial liquor stores in Canada.  One typically mixes it with apple juice.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #111: October 11, 2009, 12:45:24 AM »
There is an excellent Polish vodka called Żubrówka...it's flavoured with grass, quite possibly grass pissed on by buffalo.  Anyways, it's hard to find in the U.S., but it is in most provincial liquor stores in Canada.  One typically mixes it with apple juice.
Grass flavored, eh?  I might have to look for that.  I actually liked the grass flavored jelly beans they had in that Harry Potter branded thing they used to sell.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #112: October 11, 2009, 02:24:50 AM »
I've decided after working the private event I did this evening, that I'm going to see what I can do to establish myself as a freelance Bartender.  I wonder if such people are in heavy demand, and how I'd go about starting out.

« Reply #113: October 11, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »
Watch Tom Cruise in the movie "Cocktail." That movie was the bomb.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #114: October 11, 2009, 08:31:26 PM »
bartended a function at the arlington cultural center last night.

no mixed liquor, just bottled beer and wine. a company called Barefoot donated their Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir to the event. each bartender got a bottle of each to take home with us.

i'm sipping on the Pinot Grigio now. it's pretty damn good to me, but i am not really knowledgeable about wines, so i don't know any better.

the pinot noir tastes like water though. not at all a fan of it. i thought it was terrible.

« Reply #115: October 11, 2009, 09:31:13 PM »
bartended a function at the arlington cultural center last night.

no mixed liquor, just bottled beer and wine. a company called Barefoot donated their Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir to the event. each bartender got a bottle of each to take home with us.

i'm sipping on the Pinot Grigio now. it's pretty damn good to me, but i am not really knowledgeable about wines, so i don't know any better.

the pinot noir tastes like water though. not at all a fan of it. i thought it was terrible.

My in-laws guzzle that stuff, Barefoot Wine. I'd visit their house and they'd have empty bottles of Barefoot everywhere.

In terms of wine, it's considered average to low end stuff. Not expensive, pretty common and probably can be bought at any major grocery store.

Not a personal favorite of mine.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #116: October 11, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »
My in-laws guzzle that stuff, Barefoot Wine. I'd visit their house and they'd have empty bottles of Barefoot everywhere.

In terms of wine, it's considered average to low end stuff. Not expensive, pretty common and probably can be bought at any major grocery store.

Not a personal favorite of mine.

Good wine does not need to be expensive, or even fancy. Screwtops are in these days, as cork is gross.

You know what tastes really, really good? Port. I love Port.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #117: October 11, 2009, 10:46:23 PM »
Good wine does not need to be expensive, or even fancy. Screwtops are in these days, as cork is gross.
Yep.  I really like this one Shiraz I had called Rex Goliath.  http://www.rexgoliath.com/rexgoliath/catalog/view_product.jsp?product_id=1003&cat_id=1. Around $15 if I remember right.

Also liked "Screw Cappa Napa" on the corkless end.

« Reply #118: October 11, 2009, 10:51:24 PM »

You know what tastes really, really good? Port. I love Port.

It's all subjective. crap could taste like honey to you, but to someone else it could taste like something different. I did not mean to infer that Barefoot isn't a good wine to some because obviously my in-laws would drink a tanker of it. Simply, if you want to be (pardon the term) a wine fag about it, then Barefoot is on the lower end of the scale, probably between RC Cola and Giant brand Cola.

Personally, I love cork and I even love the corks that aren't even made out of cork anymore but some sort of plastic rubber cork. Drinking wine out of a box or screw top to me is like getting a fine seafood experience at Long John Silvers.

I am a huge fan of the muscadine wines. NC goes crazy for them and I have sort of adopted that taste.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #119: October 11, 2009, 10:59:33 PM »
It's all subjective. crap could taste like honey to you, but to someone else it could taste like something different. I did not mean to infer that Barefoot isn't a good wine to some because obviously my in-laws would drink a tanker of it. Simply, if you want to be (pardon the term) a wine fag about it, then Barefoot is on the lower end of the scale, probably between RC Cola and Giant brand Cola.

Personally, I love cork and I even love the corks that aren't even made out of cork anymore but some sort of plastic rubber cork. Drinking wine out of a box or screw top to me is like getting a fine seafood experience at Long John Silvers.

I am a huge fan of the muscadine wines. NC goes crazy for them and I have sort of adopted that taste.
I do love RC Cola though :lol:

Royal Crown & Crown Royal

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #120: October 11, 2009, 11:09:53 PM »

:lol: It takes all kinds. Muscadine grapes are considered inferior and gross by wine snobs. Go figure.

Barefoot is mass produced. But you know what's good, the Riesling with the really long German name that comes in the blue bottle with the sun on it. Every store seems to have it, and its a bit effervescent. It's not super quality but it's really tasty.

A famous and well-respected winery in CA called Bonny Doon only does screwtops now, because cork is unsanitary and can rot. The artificial corks are fine with me but some people look down on them. It's all in what you like.

In my experience, I can usually get an Argentine wine from Mendoza, a Chilean red, New Zealand or Australian white, or a Torrontes and go home happy without much fuss.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #121: October 11, 2009, 11:45:05 PM »
Barefoot is a fine gulping wine.

The main reason I'm partial to corks is that I like cork trees, and the ancient European cork forests really only still exist for two reasons, one being wine bottles & the other being acoustic tiles for jam spaces.  The former is a much larger market.  

« Reply #122: October 12, 2009, 08:17:01 AM »
:lol: It takes all kinds. Muscadine grapes are considered inferior and gross by wine snobs. Go figure.

Which is why I tell all wine snobs to go stick a cheese wheel up their ass. :lol:

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #123: October 12, 2009, 08:48:04 AM »
But you know what's good, the Riesling with the really long German name that comes in the blue bottle with the sun on it. Every store seems to have it, and its a bit effervescent. It's not super quality but it's really tasty.

That's what my wife drinks...can't think of the name though.  I even bought a bottle on Saturday.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #124: October 12, 2009, 08:45:41 PM »
That's what my wife drinks...can't think of the name though.  I even bought a bottle on Saturday.

Gewürztraminer? Nice varietal.