Author Topic: Current/Former Military  (Read 17048 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Re: Re: Current/Former Military
« Reply #275: June 06, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
71st anniversary of D-Day and also happens to be the weekend of the WWII Airshow in Reading, PA.    It's a bit of a drive and can be tiring hanging around all day.    It is worth it.    FiFi (B-29) was there along with lots of other bombers, fighters, armory hardware, period re-enacters (military and civilian; Allies and Axis), airborne from period aircraft, etc.    Nothing like seeing FiFi come in low over the airfield.     Only thing better was listening in on the old guys telling stories.    :)

we were at Dulles today participating in Honor Flight, we greeted WWII, Korean, and Vietnam veterans who arrived from Kentucky to visit the various war memorials.  It is always a very moving experience as there were probably 100 people lined up to cheer, shake hands and greet the veterans, who didn't know that they would be receiving that kind of welcome upon arrival.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #276: June 06, 2015, 10:45:52 PM »
we were at Dulles today participating in Honor Flight, we greeted WWII, Korean, and Vietnam veterans who arrived from Kentucky to visit the various war memorials.  It is always a very moving experience as there were probably 100 people lined up to cheer, shake hands and greet the veterans, who didn't know that they would be receiving that kind of welcome upon arrival.

Next time there's a greeting, please post a heads up.    Thanks

Offline imref

« Reply #277: June 06, 2015, 10:50:55 PM »
Next time there's a greeting, please post a heads up.    Thanks

Here's the Dulles schedule through the end of June.

http://heroeswelcomeiad.com/2015-schedule-2/

Offline mitlen

« Reply #278: June 06, 2015, 10:53:49 PM »

Offline imref

« Reply #279: June 06, 2015, 11:34:32 PM »
Thank you

you don't have to be part of any group to participate, just register and show up.  They are also usually looking for help at the memorials.  Here's the link for the broader organization - https://www.honorflight.org/

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #280: June 07, 2015, 12:47:07 AM »
Wow. Well done.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Current/Former Military
« Reply #281: June 09, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »
bump.

I hope I did not make a hash out this, but I'd like to keep the focus of this thread on service people, active or retired, and keep maybe some our digressions on military history in a separate thread. Thus, much of the Midway discussion, F4U Corsairs and P47 Thunderbolt discussions, and historians' books are in the military history thread.

Offline mitlen

Re: Current/Former Military
« Reply #282: June 09, 2015, 06:47:35 PM »
bump.

I hope I did not make a hash out this, but I'd like to keep the focus of this thread on service people, active or retired, and keep maybe some our digressions on military history in a separate thread. Thus, much of the Midway discussion, F4U Corsairs and P47 Thunderbolt discussions, and historians' books are in the military history thread.

You have too much free time.   ;)