Author Topic: The Australian rules football thread (AFL)  (Read 1280 times)

Offline aussienatsfan

The Australian rules football thread (AFL)
« Topic Start: May 14, 2012, 09:39:45 AM »
Since I follow all American sports so closely I think it's time my friends at WNFF jump on board the Aussie game.

Any fans here? I know Ronnynat pm'd me last season saying he was getting into it.

Go saints!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: The Australian rules football thread (AFL)
« Reply #1: May 14, 2012, 09:41:45 AM »
I have been watching Rugby a lot - I thought I had heard it was more popular in Australia than ARF?

I particularly like watching Rugby 7s. Exciting game.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2: May 14, 2012, 09:48:06 AM »
Never got into AFL, although I went to a lot of NRL matches and still watch ocassionally.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #3: May 14, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »
I have been watching Rugby a lot - I thought I had heard it was more popular in Australia than ARF?

I particularly like watching Rugby 7s. Exciting game.

Depends what state you're from, I'm Victorian and AFL is by far the most popular sport here.

Queensland and new south wales is more into rugby

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: May 14, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
I watched it when I used to get high.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #5: May 14, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
Never got into AFL, although I went to a lot of NRL matches and still watch ocassionally.

I love it, never been a big NRL fan but I do have a bet on it on the odd occasion so I keep up with the scores.

AFL has sort of turned into NFL in a way, used to be brutally tough, hard hits all game and the league boss like giddell is turning it soft

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #6: May 14, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
I suspect part of it may have been that the Raiders were close and by the time I got to Sydney I was already watching the Sea Eagles. I went to one Swans match but just didn't have as many friends into AFL so it didn't come up as much. Aside from that there was a Demons match on a family vacation.

At this point, I'd take either. USARL just isn't as watchable and the attendence is just sad. Oh well, Go Slayers!

Apologies if I straying too far from the topic but I suspect we don't have enough interest for seperate AFL, NRL, and USARL threads. :?

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #7: May 14, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »
Love me some AFL.  I really don't follow it that closely, because I can't really watch the matches live or anything, but I have been able to watch a few taped matches and the highlight show on MHZ 2 I think.  No real reason why I'm a Carlton fan, but they were just the most shown on tv back in 2000 or so when I started watching.

I've gone as far as asking for a shirt for my birthday.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #8: May 14, 2012, 10:25:09 AM »
Love me some AFL.  I really don't follow it that closely, because I can't really watch the matches live or anything, but I have been able to watch a few taped matches and the highlight show on MHZ 2 I think.  No real reason why I'm a Carlton fan, but they were just the most shown on tv back in 2000 or so when I started watching.

I've gone as far as asking for a shirt for my birthday.

They had a chance to go to the top of the ladder with a win tonight (Aus time) against my saints but they didn't show up and we played really well.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #9: May 14, 2012, 10:27:22 AM »
I suspect part of it may have been that the Raiders were close and by the time I got to Sydney I was already watching the Sea Eagles. I went to one Swans match but just didn't have as many friends into AFL so it didn't come up as much. Aside from that there was a Demons match on a family vacation.

At this point, I'd take either. USARL just isn't as watchable and the attendence is just sad. Oh well, Go Slayers!

(Image removed from quote.)

Apologies if I straying too far from the topic but I suspect we don't have enough interest for seperate AFL, NRL, and USARL threads. :?

Maybe I could rename it the Australian sports thread... Go to YouTube and take a look at some of the best hits of yesteryear it was brutal.

I'm a storm fan in the NRL, been to a few games

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
I swear one of these days I'm going to go to Australia and this will be priority number 1.  I just want to see one of these live.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Go to YouTube and take a look at some of the best hits of yesteryear it was brutal.

Karmichael Hunt sure cracked some skulls in 2011. :shock:

Offline aussienatsfan

I swear one of these days I'm going to go to Australia and this will be priority number 1.  I just want to see one of these live.

Kind of like me getting to the states for some baseball, basketball, football etc.

I went to st kilda vs Carlton tonight, brilliant game

Offline aussienatsfan

^^^^^ for big hits

^^^^^ for skills

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
Good stuff!

Offline Dave B

I do like watching it on the odd occasion it is on. Nonstop action. Quite frantic

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Australian Rules Football used to be the staple for ESPN before they started landing MLB and US-based professional games.  It's not on much anymore.  Screw ESPN.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Australian Rules Football used to be the staple for ESPN before they started landing MLB and US-based professional games.  It's not on much anymore.  Screw ESPN.

Footy!

Love the officials in their white formal dinner jackets and a pith helmet.

Offline GburgNatsFan

So what's the main difference between ARF and Rugby? Should I not bother with a question like this? Is my idiocy showing?
Since I follow all American sports so closely I think it's time my friends at WNFF jump on board the Aussie game.

Any fans here? I know Ronnynat pm'd me last season saying he was getting into it.

Go saints!

Offline 1995hoo

I occasionally watch the AFL, though I don't have any rooting interest. My wife doesn't understand why and thinks it's just men being stubborn about watching whatever sport happens to be on TV.

Regarding Australian sports more generally, I watched the Bathurst 1000 this past fall and I think it might be interesting to see the V-8 Supercars race in Austin in a couple of years. Be more interesting if NASCAR then ran a Winston Cup race on the same circuit. I'm not into NASCAR, but I think it'd be interesting to see how the two series stack up when running on the same circuit.

Offline aussienatsfan

So what's the main difference between ARF and Rugby? Should I not bother with a question like this? Is my idiocy showing?

They're very different, with rugby you only throw the ball backwards to attack, with AFL you kick the ball to go forward.

To score a goal you kick the ball through a big set of posts, in rugby it's far more similar to NFL where you run the ball into the end zone for a touchdown.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Ah... it's closer to Gaelic than to rugby.
They're very different, with rugby you only throw the ball backwards to attack, with AFL you kick the ball to go forward.

To score a goal you kick the ball through a big set of posts, in rugby it's far more similar to NFL where you run the ball into the end zone for a touchdown.

Offline aussienatsfan

Ah... it's closer to Gaelic than to rugby.

Correct, we actually play an international rules series against the Irish of two tests each season in a hybrid format where certain rules from both Gaelic and AFL are used.

It's funny watching our players kick a round ball

Offline GburgNatsFan

My daughter is up in Queensland for a few more weeks... I've urged her to try to go see either a rugby match or ARF. I think the Townsville team plays rugby. They tried to go once, but the weather was awful.

Correct, we actually play an international rules series against the Irish of two tests each season in a hybrid format where certain rules from both Gaelic and AFL are used.

It's funny watching our players kick a round ball

Offline Aussie_Nat

AFL - Geelong (GO CATS)  and NRL - Melbourne Storm (love kicking some NSW and Queensland butt on a weekly basis  :D).