Author Topic: 3/4/09 Unofficial Game Thread: Mets @ Nationals  (Read 5562 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Balester really needs to cut back on that crap.

Offline hammondsnats

jesus bally got shelled. 

Offline JMUalumni

He faced 8 batters that inning, let up 5 hits (2 HRs) and 4 runs. Ouch.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
wth? It's 4-3 now, what happened in the top of the 5th?

Offline hammondsnats

He faced 8 batters that inning, let up 5 hits and 4 runs. Ouch.

yeah that's not going to help him at all.  let's see if he comes out for a third inning and can bounce back.  discouraging start, especially after a quick 1-2-3 AND a 3-run lead  :evil:

• pissy DC sports fan
 :hang: So much for what sportsfan said about Balester.

Offline sportsfan882

:hang: So much for what sportsfan said about Balester.
what was that?

Balester now sits squarely behind JZ on the starters totem pole.

Offline HalfSmokes

Looks like we will get to see Daniel Cabrera on the mound on MASN on Friday against his old team.

If he blows again we should release his ass on the spot.

Do we cut Bally now or give him another start?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
what was that?

probably feeling the pressure.   Martis has been sharp, too.

• pissy DC sports fan
what was that?

You were touting the fact that he had given up fewer runs than Cabrera and was decidedly better.

Offline sportsfan882

probably feeling the pressure.   Martis has been sharp, too.
yep. lot of pressure on Balester to pitch well, especially considering how well JZ pitched prior to him coming in to the game today.

1- Lannan
2- Olsen
3- Hill
4- Zimmermann
5- Martis

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
    :rofl:

Per McElroy:

Collin Balester picked up where Jordan Zimmermann left off in the 4th. He retired the side in order on a strike out and two fly outs. Balester needed only 11 pitches, eight of which were strikes.

Balester started the 5th by striking out Ryan Church on a nasty breaking ball that broke down and in on the left-handed hitter, but then it turned ugly.

Fernando Tatis broke up the perfect game with an opposite field home run, makit it a 3-1 game

Livan Hernandez and Jose Valentin followed with back-to-back singles before Ramon Castro hit a 3-run bomb over the center field wall, more than 404 feet away and about 35 feet high.

The barrage didn't stop there as he walked Andy Green and gave up another single, before picking Green off second and getting David Murphy to ground out to end the inning.

Balester gave up four runs on five hits, two homers, and a walk. He needed 22 pitches to get three outs.

Offline sportsfan882

awful. so he got beat by the bottom of their order? :bang:

I hate that crap. Gives up a towering HR to Ramon Castro?  :evil:

Offline hammondsnats

Went 1-2-3 in his third inning of work though.  Still, sucks he had a rough 2nd inning. 

I still like his stuff/potential in the rotation over Martis.  (I think Martis will be solid coming out of pen)

Offline hammondsnats

hey alright there's milledge getting a base knock!

Offline MDoyle

• UMW 2010
I don't know if you guys have discusses this but why hasn't Anderson Hernandez gotten any playing time yet?

Offline sportsfan882

I don't know if you guys have discusses this but why hasn't Anderson Hernandez gotten any playing time yet?
He played yesterday. Manny wanted to give him a bit of a rest after playing all winter long in the Dominican.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

I think he's played once, in the last game.  They said they were holding him out for rest, as he'd played continually for the last year, amassing over 900 plate appearances between spring, minors, majors, winter ball.

Offline MDoyle

• UMW 2010
This makes sense.

Offline natinthehat

Good to see Nick hitting the ball well.  I just wish we could hibernate him until opening day so as to get as much out of him this season as possible.

Offline balzig777

hey lets just realease him, I mean how bad can a guy get?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
hey lets just realease him, I mean how bad can a guy get?

I think he was making fun of another poster who tends to be extreme quite often.

Offline sportsfan882

Alberto Gonzalez with a 2-Run Single to give the Nats a 5-4 lead in the 6th. :clap:

C. Patterson adds another RBI Single to give the Nats another run. 6-4 after 6 innings. If the bullpen can hold Balester will get the win.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
I think he was making fun of another poster who tends to be extreme quite often.

What? NO WAI!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
where are you guys following the play by play?