Author Topic: 3/4/09 Unofficial Game Thread: Mets @ Nationals  (Read 5560 times)

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
It's great to see Nick hammering the ball this well this early.  Honestly I did not expect him to be up to his usual standards until perhaps May, but maybe he's ahead of my schedule, and maybe he's got Eckstein's magic mojo going for him.

i think we should put the Johnson trade talks to rest. NJ needs be here to stay this season. he's one of the most underrated hitters in the game.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
yeah let's patterson his ass after giving up one earned run!  I just said if he has a sucky spring and there are 5 more capable starters than, I agree, he had his chance and he f'd up let's move on.  But dude you need to take off the blinders, he has made one start with just one earned run.  I'll be the first one to say get his ass out if he sucks, but like I said, it's one damn start and it wasn't the worst outing of all-time. 
I think Cabrera just sucks in general, but I do support your argument here.  Let's not jump all over one spring start.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
NJ is increasing his trade value rapidly. Showing that he is healthy and hitting for power.

Deal him at high value or take a risk and play him at 1B hoping he stays healthy?

Want to shoot for that 15% BP probability of making the playoffs in 2009?  Ride that horse till it drops.

Want to cash in for some prospects?  Deal him.

Offline HalfSmokes

Want to shoot for that 15% BP probability of making the playoffs in 2009?  Ride that horse till it drops.

I wonder what Johan's elbow does to those odds

Offline JMUalumni

JZimm threw a majority of strikes, kept all but one ball in the infield, and had a low pitch count.  The real question now becomes how long in a game can he sustain a performance like this.

J. Zimm just wrapped up his three innings of work and he got better in each frame. He retired all nine Mets and only one ball left the infield.

Zimmermann struck out three and his ground ball to fly ball ratio was 5 to 1. J. Zimm threw 34 pitches, 25 for strikes and his pitch count decreased in each of his three innings; 13, 11 and 10.

Offline sportsfan882

Milledge Ks
Zim singles
NJ walks

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Milledge K, RZ singles, NJ Walks, Dukes F8, Willingham K

Offline hammondsnats

NJ is increasing his trade value rapidly. Showing that he is healthy and hitting for power.

Deal him at high value or take a risk and play him at 1B hoping he stays healthy?

It's a GREAT problem to have. 

If I had a conversation with God and he was like: "listen, Nick is going to be healthy this year," ... I'd say let's keep him for sure. 

Offline sportsfan882

Dukes and Willingham retired. 3-0 WSH after 3

Offline hammondsnats

c'mon milledge wtf

• pissy DC sports fan

Go for the prospects.  That 15% is small, and it's skewed by the fact that we have a potentially decent line-up.  Teams that have weaker pitching staffs, especially ours with a bad bullpen, tend to lose close games.  I expect this team to underperform PECOTA again, which is largely a predictor of pytha. W-L.

Trading NJ at peak value is a good idea.  His contract is up after this season, we have Dunn inked through 2010, we have Marrero/Burgess in our system, etc. etc.

Offline shoeshineboy

Nice Top of 4th for Balester. K, F7, F8

Offline hammondsnats

Offline JMUalumni

Trading NJ at peak value is a good idea.  His contract is up after this season, we have Dunn inked through 2010, we have Marrero/Burgess in our system, etc. etc.

I'm all for keeping Johnson in the lineup, mainly because he is a very productive bat to have.  But,  if he plays well and peaks his value, I think you have to take a trade.  I would not support trading him to just to get rid of him, rather for a good return.  If we can't get anything of value for him, fine, keep him around.  If he gets injured again, though, he pretty much loses any value he has or had.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I wonder what Johan's elbow does to those odds

Good question.  I don't usually look at the playoff odds report early in the season,  but I think they rerun the simulation (playing out the remainder of the season a million times) fairly often. 

When I get some time I'll see if they've been updated since the initial run, but likely not until after the season begins.

Offline sportsfan882

Looks like we will get to see Daniel Cabrera on the mound on MASN on Friday against his old team.

If he blows again we should release his ass on the spot.

• pissy DC sports fan
I'm all for keeping Johnson in the lineup, mainly because he is a very productive bat to have.  But,  if he plays well and peaks his value, I think you have to take a trade.  I would not support trading him to just to get rid of him, rather for a good return.  If we can't get anything of value for him, fine, keep him around.
I agree wholeheartedly.  If you can't get a good return, and he has a chance of being a type A or even a type B free agent, then it might get you more if you let him walk at the end of the year anyway.

• pissy DC sports fan
Looks like we will get to see Daniel Cabrera on the mound on MASN on Friday against his old team.

:rofl: He should have at least 3 appearances before we think about that.

Offline shoeshineboy

Livo coming to pitch for the Mets

Offline HalfSmokes

Good question.  I don't usually look at the playoff odds report early in the season,  but I think they rerun the simulation (playing out the remainder of the season a million times) fairly often. 

When I get some time I'll see if they've been updated since the initial run, but likely not until after the season begins.

I doubt they have enough information to reestimate his innings pitched. This just seems to be Dejavu- how many times does a pitcher have a sore elbow, the team downplays it, the return date gets pushed back a few times, but its no big deal, followed by the trip to Dr. Andrews.

Offline hammondsnats

dude you are definitely the funniest poster on any message board over the web.  wow. :rofl:

Offline shoeshineboy

Squandered a leadoff double by Belliard. Montz F7, Balester 4-3 advances Belliard, then Guz grounds out (3-1)

Amazing that Livo could beat out Guzman to the bag.

Offline hammondsnats

hahaha  :worship:

Offline HalfSmokes

That should be the end of any conversation or debate involving Guz batting lead off

Offline hammondsnats

looks like bally has given up a solo shot and there's one down.  3-1 Nats in the 5th.