Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158060 times)

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2300: September 30, 2012, 12:02:29 PM »
Musn't interfere with natural selection...

Note to people on future beerfests.  When leaving on the Escalator at Ny metro.  DONT TRY TO WALK DOWN A MOVING ESCALATOR WHEN YOU'RE DRUNK!  YOU ENDANGER YOURSELVES AND OTHERS!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2301: September 30, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
Is pumpkin beer any good?

Pumpkin beer is one of the greatest things about fall,  Dog fish Head and Southern Tier make the best in my opinion with dogfighting head being more 'pumpkin'  flavored and Southern tier being more pumping seasoning (tastes like nutmeg/allspice/cinnamon)  flavored

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2302: September 30, 2012, 12:18:27 PM »
Is pumpkin beer any good?

Yes! I got to try Dogfish Head Punkin Ale last weekend and enjoyed it very much, although I also got to try Ace Pumpkin Cider and it was even better - being a cider it was more intensely pumpkiny, almost like alcoholic pumpkin soda, if that makes sense.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2303: September 30, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »
I've noticed that Leinie's Sunset Wheat is getting harder to find in NOVA.    It's not a seasonal beer.   Is there beer strife?

PS    The missus says it's because I drank it all.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2304: September 30, 2012, 01:12:55 PM »
Hofbrau Oktoberfest, from Munich, available at Giant...no ABV on bottle but it has one butt-whupping kick to it.

---

With production of Beck's for the USA market now moved to St Louis, it seems that St Pauli Girl (which many insist is the same as Beck's) is being phased out in this market...haven't seen it (apart from St Pauli NA, a non-alcohol brew) at either Giant or Harris Teeter for some weeks now.

Pity if true...good tasting in its own right, and great for making chili.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2305: September 30, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »
Hofbrau Oktoberfest, from Munich, available at Giant...no ABV on bottle but it has one butt-whupping kick to it.

---

With production of Beck's for the USA market now moved to St Louis, it seems that St Pauli Girl (which many insist is the same as Beck's) is being phased out in this market...haven't seen it (apart from St Pauli NA, a non-alcohol brew) at either Giant or Harris Teeter for some weeks now.

...  and the chick's hot.   :)

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2306: September 30, 2012, 02:00:36 PM »
I think it's like 6.3%...a couple of liters of that and some roast pig knuckles start looking really good.

Our LLS still carries bomber bottles of St Pauli Girl.  I've always liked it...sometimes a crisp light German beer is just the thing. 

---

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2307: September 30, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »
you guys are surprisingly useless.  ;)

i'm going up to pa for a wedding in a couple weeks, i'll just pick up a couple of racks in my old neighborhood.

a) don't want to deal with a keg.
2) this is just for getting freaking crap faced playing beer pong, flip cup, etc. not looking for a quality brew, just something light that goes down smooth. (there is also some sentimental value linking the busch light and the group of people that will be at the house)

there is a drive through place in greenbelt on 193. i think it is called parkway liquors. i only pass it on sunday and it is closed. not sure if that is a sunday thing or permanent thing. it looks stocked so maybe just a sunday thing. anyway, the 60 natty bohs for 29.99 caught my eye. looks like they have all the crappy beers. there are probably also some places in college park that sell cheap stuff. i think i have heard of town hall liquors

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2308: September 30, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »

wegmans has it too. 

Offline Clever

« Reply #2309: September 30, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
there is a drive through place in greenbelt on 193. i think it is called parkway liquors. i only pass it on sunday and it is closed. not sure if that is a sunday thing or permanent thing. it looks stocked so maybe just a sunday thing. anyway, the 60 natty bohs for 29.99 caught my eye. looks like they have all the crappy beers. there are probably also some places in college park that sell cheap stuff. i think i have heard of town hall liquors
Town Hall is pretty good. Also check out Village Pump @193 & RI Ave.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2310: October 01, 2012, 03:56:06 PM »

Beer in College Park?  I'm shocked.

(Try Tick Tock as well)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2311: October 01, 2012, 08:03:01 PM »
Forgot to post this - but in Miami a few weeks ago a bar I was at served a mexican chelada, basically a glass of dos equis filled with limes and a few dashes of hot sauce in a salt-rimmed glass.  It was horrible at first, but the taste grew on me.  I've also seen it with a splash of tomato juice.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2312: October 13, 2012, 01:08:21 AM »
Need something stiff to drink right about now.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2313: October 13, 2012, 11:17:28 AM »
Try the Dogfish "_itches" Brew

Need something stiff to drink right about now.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2314: October 14, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »
had that Southern Tier Pumking last night that apparently people really like a lot. Not a fan. I like other pumpking beers, but this one tasted like banana runts and sunscreen

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2315: October 14, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »
We had it too, but we really liked it.  It had a touch of oak aged flavor, like the Dogfish Burton Baton

had that Southern Tier Pumking last night that apparently people really like a lot. Not a fan. I like other pumpking beers, but this one tasted like banana runts and sunscreen

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2316: October 19, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »

I've yet to encounter a pumpking beer.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2317: October 19, 2012, 02:00:29 PM »
I've yet to encounter a pumpking beer.

grammer nazi vs labeling

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2318: October 19, 2012, 03:32:36 PM »
I am a bit of a beer geek myself, but pledge myself, my loyalty and liver to the Dogfish Nation. Some of the better DFH Beers that I have tried,

And my Pumpkin for this year.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2319: October 19, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
Dogfish Head may be the best brewery in the country- no one else seems to be willing to experiment like they do, for good (Ta Henket is one of my favorite beers and I couldnt see any other brewery even attempting it) and not so good (Punjabi Export was some nasty stuff)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2320: October 19, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »
Has anyone tried Brooklyn Black Chocolate Ale yet? I have a four-pack in my fridge but I'm going out to a bar to masochistically watch the Cardinals reach the World Series.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2321: October 19, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »
Dogfish Head may be the best brewery in the country- no one else seems to be willing to experiment like they do, for good (Ta Henket is one of my favorite beers and I couldnt see any other brewery even attempting it) and not so good (Punjabi Export was some nasty stuff)

I agree because I was at a point where I was concerned I was becoming a blind homer being as every beer I tried I fell in love with. I was worried that I was more in love with the brand than the beer. Luckily Namaste and Pangea proved otherwise. I must say, their unconventional approach to beers is awesome. I'm glad you like the Ta Henket though, because that did nothing for me

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2322: October 19, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
I agree because I was at a point where I was concerned I was becoming a blind homer being as every beer I tried I fell in love with. I was worried that I was more in love with the brand than the beer. Luckily Namaste and Pangea proved otherwise. I must say, their unconventional approach to beers is awesome. I'm glad you like the Ta Henket though, because that did nothing for me

Didn't they do one where they scienced an ancient beer bottle to find the ingredients and then made it?  Was it that one?

I like their 120 minute IPA.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2323: October 19, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »
That is part of their "Ancient Ales" program. You are probably thing of Midas Touch but the program includes

Theobroma (Great Beer)
Midas Touch (Great Beer)
Chateu Jihau (Great Beer)
Ta Henket (Eh, in my opinion)
Chicha (Experimental batch, only available in limited quantities at thief brew pup. Never got to try it)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2324: October 19, 2012, 08:26:58 PM »
That is part of their "Ancient Ales" program. You are probably thing of Midas Touch but the program includes

Theobroma (Great Beer)
Midas Touch (Great Beer)
Chateu Jihau (Great Beer)
Ta Henket (Eh, in my opinion)
Chicha (Experimental batch, only available in limited quantities at thief brew pup. Never got to try it)

Ah, yeah, Midas Touch was it.  I didn't know they had more than one.