Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 99933 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #375: August 31, 2010, 04:45:45 PM »
I'd plan out the meals and snacks well in advance. Don't forget the deserts and drinks. I'd also double check yourself with one of the camping or backpacking checklists just to be sure.

Trader Joe's makes a lot of food which is perfect for the campsite. This guy went a bit overboard but you could easily go even longer with all the options there.

Grill something with a good rub over the fire. You just have to do this one. A man in the woods must grill. I usually go with steak with Argentinian or Brazilian spices. Kabobs usually rock too. They are also good because you can prepare them together.

Bring at least one of each meal you can prepare without the fire. IT could be a life saver if you stay in the tent and listen to the rain.

Also don't forget the coffee or tea if she drinks it. You can get it in bags like tea or get a camp stove espresso maker if you want to get fancy. While you are at it; some hot coco mixed with powered milk is handy.

Make at least one camping classic; probably smores or maybe roasting marshmallows. If she has never been camping, here is your chance to be iconic.

I heat Brie over the fire occasionally for Brie and crackers with the wine. You might want to practice this one first; it is rather easy to overcook/undercook/drop it in the fire which ruins the effect.

There are some good recipes here. Don't let the vegetarian part throw you, just adapt them to fit your tastes.

A Fork in the Trail: Mouthwatering Meals and Tempting Treats for the Backcountry

I'd also suggest grabbing a portable picnic kit and one of those blankets and taking a hike to one of the waterfalls or other scenic spot for lunch. I usually go with fresh Italian deli meats and cheeses from A. Litteri along with some artisan water and wine. If you go there, I'd also suggest some pizzelle cookies and quickly heat them by the fire after you get back.