Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84720 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #725: March 03, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »
Clearly he does something right if he's in the top half of wOBA at his position.

You can say his position is weak, and it is, but that doesn't change he's top half among his peers at the plate.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #726: March 03, 2013, 11:11:01 AM »
Rendon could be the next Robbie Cano, but it would be meaningless if he can only play 50 games a year due to injuries.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #727: March 03, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »
Let's not leave out Espinosa's power when talking about his offense.  There's a segment on this board that would be much happier with infield pops than Ks from Danny.  However, when you just look at his WAR in the abstract and point out how it is 7th over the past couple of years, you kind of ignore that it is a counting stat, he has played full time, and much of his value is generated by the part of WAR that is the shakiest (estimates of defensive value).  Clearly, his OBP has to improve and he has to get his Ks down below 25% or so to become among the best 2d basemen, but I would think the market for him is a bit better than a MR (not a starting pitcher, not a primary set up guy, not a closer, not a position regular).  Right now, you'd have discount the defense a lot and expect the power to vanish to say he is not at least an average 2d baseman who a few teams would project as a SS, where his offense would look even better.

All that said, keep Rendon healthy, get him reps at 2d, and you are in a position to deal Espinosa. 

With Rendon, Skole, Moore, and the possible reemergence of Marrero, the infield can shake out a number of ways in 2 years just among the internal options.  RZ's shoulder deteriorates and he can't throw, there are 2 potential 3d basemen in Rendon and Skole.  that does not happen, there are trade candidates up the middle among Espinosa, Rendon, and Lombo.  ALR could be replaced by a Skole / Marrero combo, or just Skole, or Skole / Moore.  Moore may stay as a corner OF and righty PH.   I like the options.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #728: March 03, 2013, 12:33:43 PM »
Well said JCA. Better than I could put it, obviously.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #729: March 03, 2013, 01:00:35 PM »
Rendon could be the next Robbie Cano, but it would be meaningless if he can only play 50 games a year due to injuries.

he's healthy so far.

and let's get going on dealing espy now.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #730: March 03, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »
he's healthy so far.

and let's get going on dealing espy now.

We should definitely trade an established, above-average, young MLB second baseman when we have no actual proven replacement! Great idea!

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #731: March 03, 2013, 02:39:16 PM »
We should definitely trade an established, above-average, young MLB second baseman when we have no actual proven replacement! Great idea!

Lombo is pretty proven and rendon has all the tools and is finally ready

Offline blue911

« Reply #732: March 03, 2013, 02:40:50 PM »

Let's wait until he's faced real off speed stuff before enshrining him.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #733: March 03, 2013, 02:41:36 PM »

I'm sorry, but a few at-bats in spring training and a month in AA does not tell me that he's ready to take over at second base and play better than Espinosa.

Note: Rendon has not had one appearance at second base in the minors.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #734: March 03, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »

Note:  espi only switched from SS to 2B about a week before his call up

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #735: March 03, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »
Note:  espi only switched from SS to 2B about a week before his call up

I'm just guessing, but SS to 2B seems easier than from 3B to 2B, since the SS has all that experience turning a double play (no experience here but just guessing, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Espinosa also was in AAA at the time of the switch, while Rendon has what, a month in AA?

I'm just saying people anointing Rendon the best possible option at 2B right now are way too excited about a few spring training at-bats. He moves to 2B in AA at the start of the season and then proceeds to rake, and then gets called up this season and looks great? Then trading Espinosa seems reasonable. But not right now.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #736: March 03, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »
I'm just guessing, but SS to 2B seems easier than from 3B to 2B, since the SS has all that experience turning a double play (no experience here but just guessing, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Espinosa also was in AAA at the time of the switch, while Rendon has what, a month in AA?

I'm just saying people anointing Rendon the best possible option at 2B right now are way too excited about a few spring training at-bats. He moves to 2B in AA at the start of the season and then proceeds to rake, and then gets called up this season and looks great? Then trading Espinosa seems reasonable. But not right now.

Definitely not breaking camp but I could see it maybe a month into the season if he rakes.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #737: March 03, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »
My guess, still: Rendon starts again at Harrisburg; moves to Syracuse about mid-season. September call-up. Jumps to the Nats sooner only if the team has another cluster of injuries like last season. Maybe if Ryan Z is hurt: Lombo can play almost any position, but he does not have a 3B arm.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #738: March 04, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »

yeah that's why i said we should start playing him at 2B...let's get going with the move.

Offline RD

« Reply #739: March 05, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »
My guess, still: Rendon starts again at Harrisburg; moves to Syracuse about mid-season. September call-up. Jumps to the Nats sooner only if the team has another cluster of injuries like last season. Maybe if Ryan Z is hurt: Lombo can play almost any position, but he does not have a 3B arm.

I think he goes to Syracuse out of the gate. He is a polished hitter, had success in AFL and is doing well in Spring. He's ready for AAA. If Espinosas shoulder bothers him or he's struggling come June, I think Rendon gets the call.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #740: March 05, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
I think he goes to Syracuse out of the gate. He is a polished hitter, had success in AFL and is doing well in Spring. He's ready for AAA. If Espinosas shoulder bothers him or he's struggling come June, I think Rendon gets the call.

Yes, I can see him at Syracuse in April. Does he play 2B or 3B in AAA? That will be interesting.

My hunch: if Zimmerman is hurting, then Rendon plays 3B. If either Desmond or Espinosa are hurt, then Lombo plays 2B.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #741: March 05, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »
Yes, I can see him at Syracuse in April. Does he play 2B or 3B in AAA? That will be interesting.

My hunch: if Zimmerman is hurting, then Rendon plays 3B. If either Desmond or Espinosa are hurt, then Lombo plays 2B.

if they envision him at 2nd, then I imagine that's where he plays full time. Maybe a little fielding practice at 3rd to stay fresh.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #742: March 06, 2013, 11:46:59 AM »
According to Ladson, RZ asked Davey "Is there any other position he plays?"

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #743: March 06, 2013, 11:53:21 AM »
That RZ can play or Rendon can play?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #744: March 06, 2013, 12:04:06 PM »
He can DH

Online imref

« Reply #745: March 06, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »
That RZ can play or Rendon can play?

Zimmerman was referring to Rendon.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #746: March 06, 2013, 03:34:02 PM »

You're forgetting the fact that dumbazz Danny is trying to play through a torn labrum.  Do not want.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #747: March 06, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »
saw the homer ... good piece of lumber on it.

his bat is ready.  need to get him fielding grounders at 2B ASAP.

Online imref

« Reply #748: March 06, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »
maybe we can send Danny to Minnesota for Alex Meyer and complete the musical chairs with our pitching prospects?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #749: March 06, 2013, 05:45:59 PM »
maybe we can send Danny to Minnesota for Alex Meyer and complete the musical chairs with our pitching prospects?

Yes!!!