1 (2.4%)
Dan Haren
2 (4.9%)
Adam LaRoche
12 (29.3%)
Other
7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Who Will be our Big Topic this Off-Season?  (Read 2539 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Who Will be our Big Topic this Off-Season?
« Topic Start: November 06, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
So far, every off-season here, we have had one giant thread that was dedicated to one player. Last year it was Fielder, the year before it was Dunn, and two years before that it was Teixera. Who will be our most talked about FA this year in the Clubhouse?

Example Topics:

Fielder = 5400 replies

Dunn Signs with White Sox for 4y/$56m = 5928
Tex and the Nats... = 3871

This is all hypothetical since we start discussing a player when we are linked with them. For example: We are linked to BJ Upton, Michael Bourn, and Adam LaRoche so far... but I feel like Greinke would create a HUGE topic if we were linked to him.

And yes, this topic doesn't really offer any insight or news about the team, but I think it'd be a good discussion place for any of these players and reasons why we should take a look at them.

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Who Will be our Big Topic this Off-Season?
« Reply #1: November 06, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »
BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SIGN EVERY EXPENSIVE FREE AGENT ... EXCEPT FOR ANGEL PAGAN.  HE'S NOT THAT GOOD. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #2: November 06, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »
oh what the hell. I had a larger topic but I guess I hit "post" by accident/without realizing

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #3: November 06, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »
Hamilton is a bigger name than Greinke, but Greinke is viewed by many in the industry as the top FA chip. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: November 06, 2012, 12:14:44 PM »
You forgot Ellsbury, who already has a thread.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: November 06, 2012, 12:18:18 PM »
To be fair, that Dunn thread spanned the entire season and was renamed multiple times, so the Fielder thread "should" be the #1 offseason player thread.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #6: November 06, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
To be fair, that Dunn thread spanned the entire season and was renamed multiple times, so the Fielder thread "should" be the #1 offseason player thread.

True.

You forgot Ellsbury, who already has a thread.

Doh!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: November 06, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »
I'm voting LaRoche, but I think the answer is whoever signs last since the angst will build as guys sign and everyone will pin their hope on those left on the market

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #8: November 06, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »
I'm voting LaRoche, but I think the answer is whoever signs last since the angst will build as guys sign and everyone will pin their hope on those left on the market

100 page Kyle Loshe thread incoming.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #9: November 06, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »
I'm going for OTHER.  We need a 100 page thread on Chad Cordero coming back and getting a ST invite on a MiLB deal.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #10: November 06, 2012, 01:57:08 PM »
Hamilton is a bigger name than Greinke,

There is not a chance in hell that Rizzo is interested in Hamilton.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #11: November 06, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
Bourn. The LaRoche issue will be worked out relatively quickly, but the Bourn thing will linger on.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #12: November 06, 2012, 02:02:55 PM »
i will say the long threads (like the dunn one) are some of my favorite material on here.  so many pages of good insight, same old message, random thoughts on teenage mutant ninja turtles, etc.  that's why WNFF is a special place.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #13: November 06, 2012, 02:19:47 PM »
The team could be so much stronger if Raphael would just buy in. Why does it always take him an hour and 23 minutes of film to realize his brothers need him? and why did the cartoon version have such a pansy voice?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #14: November 06, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »
So far, every off-season here, we have had one giant thread that was dedicated to one player. Last year it was Fielder, the year before it was Dunn, and two years before that it was Teixera. Who will be our most talked about FA this year in the Clubhouse?

Example Topics:

Fielder = 5400 replies

Dunn Signs with White Sox for 4y/$56m = 5928
Tex and the Nats... = 3871

This is all hypothetical since we start discussing a player when we are linked with them. For example: We are linked to BJ Upton, Michael Bourn, and Adam LaRoche so far... but I feel like Greinke would create a HUGE topic if we were linked to him.

And yes, this topic doesn't really offer any insight or news about the team, but I think it'd be a good discussion place for any of these players and reasons why we should take a look at them.

Dunn don't really fit in with the other two, he aligns more with Soriano (debacles). The Fielder and Tex non signings (farces) were based on leaks from various sources that the Nats were looking to sign those guys when in reality we were only interested in getting credit for being the second highest bidder. These are not every year occurances so it might be none of the above but it's also possible to rig the results via a couple fake Twitter accounts sending leaks to anyone willing to pass them along.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #15: November 06, 2012, 02:26:13 PM »
The team could be so much stronger if Raphael would just buy in. Why does it always take him an hour and 23 minutes of film to realize his brothers need him? and why did the cartoon version have such a pansy voice?

he's such a loner.  he has to work by himself, just a total clubhouse cancer.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #16: November 06, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
Dunn don't really fit in with the other two, he aligns more with Soriano (debacles). The Fielder and Tex non signings (farces) were based on leaks from various sources that the Nats were looking to sign those guys when in reality we were only interested in getting credit for being the second highest bidder. These are not every year occurances so it might be none of the above but it's also possible to rig the results via a couple fake Twitter accounts sending leaks to anyone willing to pass them along.

But we always have discussions based on one player in the off-season. It doesn't matter how it starts, whether its fake twitter accounts or contract extensions, but we have done this. I assume we're going to have another big one this year.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #17: November 06, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »
But we always have discussions based on one player in the off-season. It doesn't matter how it starts, whether its fake twitter accounts or contract extensions, but we have done this. I assume we're going to have another big one this year.

For seven previous off seasons I see three examples, unless you have four more I'd say that these mega threads on a particular player occur less than always.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #18: November 06, 2012, 02:43:33 PM »
One more note, I don't see any managers on that list.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #19: November 06, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »
For seven previous off seasons I see three examples, unless you have four more I'd say that these mega threads on a particular player occur less than always.

The biggest topic in the offseason of 2005-2006 was Soriano and his coming over here. Soriano to the Cubs was also the largest thread in the offseason of 2006-2007. Not many posts in either thread because of the lack of a big member base. Elijah Dukes had the biggest thread since it was a shock that we didn't get any of the decent outfielders that year like Hunter and so on. Lo Duca and Milledge were also large threads in 2007-2008. Tex and the Nats was 2008-2009.  Lackey and Marquis signing were big discussions in 2009-2010 but Pudge was the largest.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #20: November 06, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
The biggest topic in the offseason of 2005-2006 was Soriano and his coming over here. Soriano to the Cubs was also the largest thread in the offseason of 2006-2007. Not many posts in either thread because of the lack of a big member base. Elijah Dukes had the biggest thread since it was a shock that we didn't get any of the decent outfielders that year like Hunter and so on. Lo Duca and Milledge were also large threads in 2007-2008. Tex and the Nats was 2008-2009.  Lackey and Marquis signing were big discussions in 2009-2010 but Pudge was the largest.
Holy crap. Things have sure gotten better around here.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #21: November 06, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »
it was a shock that we didn't get any of the decent outfielders that year
:lol:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #22: November 07, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »
Day 26 with no manager signed for 2013, at what point does Rizzo start interviewing with other candidates? At what point does this interfere with signing free agents? You know that Boras is going to charge a hefty premium to sign one of his clients into an uncertain management situation.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: November 07, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »
Day 26 with no manager signed for 2013, at what point does Rizzo start interviewing with other candidates? At what point does this interfere with signing free agents? You know that Boras is going to charge a hefty premium to sign one of his clients into an uncertain management situation.

since when do most managers matter for player acquisitions, so long as no one expects Ozzy or Valentine to be here next year, I cant see free agents caring

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #24: November 07, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
Voted other. So far it's been the lack of a playoff ticket refund.