Author Topic: Lerners vs Rizzo  (Read 5015 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Lerners vs Rizzo
« Topic Start: November 03, 2015, 11:17:59 AM »
Svrluga on MLB Network, and the talking heads on WJFK are all saying that Rizzo is deeply embarrassed by what went down with Black and Baker, and that the decision to only offer a one year deal to Black wasn't Rizzo's.  They are saying that there's a lot of tension between Rizzo and the Lerners dating back to Rizzo not being able to add salary at the 2014 trade deadline, in addition to 2015, and the Scherzer deal that was largely between Mark Lerner and Scott Boras.  They are speculating that after the Williams hire, management wanted more involvement in this year's manager hiring decision.

Rizzo's deal expires at the end of this year.  It seems like a good bet that he's gone after then, if not sooner.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Lerners vs Rizzo
« Reply #1: November 03, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »
Svrluga on MLB Network, and the talking heads on WJFK are all saying that Rizzo is deeply embarrassed by what went down with Black and Baker, and that the decision to only offer a one year deal to Black wasn't Rizzo's.  They are saying that there's a lot of tension between Rizzo and the Lerners dating back to Rizzo not being able to add salary at the 2014 trade deadline, in addition to 2015, and the Scherzer deal that was largely between Mark Lerner and Scott Boras.  They are speculating that after the Williams hire, management wanted more involvement in this year's manager hiring decision.

Rizzo's deal expires at the end of this year.  It seems like a good bet that he's gone after then, if not sooner.

If  ....  all that is true and Rizzo leaves, I'm takin' my expendable income elsewhere.

BTW   The Williams hire wasn't pretty in the end and that is on Rizzo but the rest are "corporate" decisions.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2: November 03, 2015, 11:21:11 AM »
Rizzo is as good as gone. DC is boned with the Lerners at the helm.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #3: November 03, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of Rizzo, but respect his scouting capabilities.  The Williams hire was all on him, but the Lerner's unwillingness to add payroll at the deadline making him unable to make trades to help the team should not be on him.  It seems that ownership goes over his head quite a bit.  If I was him, I'd look for a new job where ownership doesn't meddle as much.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #4: November 03, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »
Rizzo is the next Anthopoulos - except he's a way better GM than Anthopoulos.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him land somewhere like Seattle and build another contender there.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #5: November 03, 2015, 11:23:42 AM »
Think about this - it's pretty obvious Black had an agreement with them and they just need to iron out the details. How the green light was given on both of those we'll never know but we do know this - when the contract got presented it was not what Black (or Rizzo) envisioned and that could be for a number of reasons.  regardless of what those issues and decisions were the reality is that Rizzo just signaled to anyone dealing with him and the Lerners that they are not to be trusted at their word and that if its not explicitly in writing it's not happening.  As big of a clown as many thought Riggleman was when he walked I don't think many would disagree that was a really good warning sign that a day like today would come and be just as big of a crapshow as this has turned out to be.

Maybe Dusty does a good job, maybe he doesn't. What isn't up for debate is that this is a pretty major black eye on both Rizzo and on the Lerners. Losing trust isn't something that's easily regained so I hope saving a million or so in manager salary was worth it to them.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #6: November 03, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »

He's waiting for the aRIZOna job to open up..

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #7: November 03, 2015, 11:25:09 AM »
Rizzo is the next Anthopoulos - except he's a way better GM than Anthopoulos.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him land somewhere like Seattle and build another contender there.

AA dealt at the deadline to go all in, that's not happening with Rizzo.

Offline PC

« Reply #8: November 03, 2015, 11:25:16 AM »
Speaking as the poster who's wanted Rizzo fired for five years, he hasn't covered himself in glory in his tenure.  Hiring Williams as manager probably isn't the worst thing he's done.

The Lerners and Rizzo sort of deserve each other.  Too bad we, the fans, are the innocent victims.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: November 03, 2015, 11:26:01 AM »
still failing to see what's so special about Rizzo. If Svrluga is right, both his best hitter and pitcher last season were on the team though no action on his part. He's a fine GM, makes good trades, but I don't see how the team's future success is tied to him remaining here

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #10: November 03, 2015, 11:27:09 AM »
still failing to see what's so special about Rizzo. If Svrluga is right, both his best hitter and pitcher last season were on the team though no action on his part. His a fine GM, makes good trades, but I don't see how the team's future success is tied to him remaining here

Over slotting injury cases (no longer possible), signing over-30 FA to mega deals, and "winning" at trades aren't enough for you?

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
« Reply #11: November 03, 2015, 11:32:30 AM »
I hate this organization. The Lerners are actively trying to kill their young Nats fandom. Hello, Yankees and Braves fans! Haven't seen you for a couple of years! Hey, what happened to all of those Orioles fans who converted, why did they stop coming to our games?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #12: November 03, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »
still failing to see what's so special about Rizzo. If Svrluga is right, both his best hitter and pitcher last season were on the team though no action on his part. He's a fine GM, makes good trades, but I don't see how the team's future success is tied to him remaining here

It's more about what we're stuck with for decades than what we're going to lose.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #13: November 03, 2015, 11:35:40 AM »
I hate this organization. The Lerners are actively trying to kill their young Nats fandom. Hello, Yankees and Braves fans! Haven't seen you for a couple of years! Hey, what happened to all of those Orioles fans who converted, why did they stop coming to our games?

how dare the lerners impose something as petty as a budget on the president of a for profit enterprise

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: November 03, 2015, 11:36:51 AM »
It's more about what we're stuck with for decades than what we're going to lose.

you have an ownership group willing to field a top ten payroll, that's a far cry from the early years

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #15: November 03, 2015, 11:38:56 AM »
you have an ownership group willing to field a top ten payroll, that's a far cry from the early years

We seem to have meddling, controlling owners who trust Boras more than their own GM and have no pulse on how to not offend people in their industry.

Offline PC

« Reply #16: November 03, 2015, 11:40:04 AM »
We have meddling, controlling owners who trust Boras more than their own GM and have no pulse on how to not offend people in their industry.

...or offend people in any other industry.

Offline PC

« Reply #17: November 03, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »
Don't forget Rizzo's 2015 bullpen.  I'm sure that didn't ease tensions between him and the Lerners.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #18: November 03, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »

Yep.   

:(

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: November 03, 2015, 11:48:19 AM »
This is Rizzo's 4th manager (5th if you count Acta)- is anyone surprised the owners don't trust him to make this hire on his own? 

Offline PC

« Reply #20: November 03, 2015, 11:51:55 AM »
This is Rizzo's 4th manager (5th if you count Acta)- is anyone surprised the owners don't trust him to make this hire on his own? 

And one of them was Matt Williams.  :spaz:

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #21: November 03, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »

Again, why is he still the President of Baseball Operations?

Offline BeltwayBaseball

• I want to get off Ted & Mark's Wild Ride
« Reply #22: November 03, 2015, 12:00:19 PM »
how dare the lerners impose something as petty as a budget on the president of a for profit enterprise

(Image removed from quote.)

“We want to win one for him. He’s the reason we’re all here. We know that.” - Mark Lerner, re: Father Ted and a World Series

So much for winning huh?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #23: November 03, 2015, 12:04:44 PM »
“We want to win one for him. He’s the reason we’re all here. We know that.” - Mark Lerner, re: Father Ted and a World Series

So much for winning huh?

You've never been lied to?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #24: November 03, 2015, 12:11:08 PM »
You've never been lied to?

You mean marketing isn't true?