Author Topic: Nolan Ryan named Rangers President  (Read 661 times)

Offline NatsAddict

Nolan Ryan named Rangers President
« Topic Start: February 06, 2008, 03:38:04 PM »
Ryan to become Rangers team president
By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press Writer
February 6, 2008

DALLAS (AP) -- Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan has agreed to become the Texas Rangers team president, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press.

In recent years, Ryan has been a consultant for the Houston Astros and part owner of two Astros minor league teams in Texas.

The person spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity because the team had not yet made an announcement. The agreement was first reported by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

It was not immediately clear how much control over personnel Ryan would have in his new role, but the all-time strikeout leader told Houston television station KRIV that he would be "over all of the Rangers baseball operations."

"This is something new for me," Ryan said. "It'd different from what I've done in the past or on the playing field."

Ryan, who had a record seven no-hitters, won 324 games in a record 27 seasons, the last five with the Rangers. He also pitched for the Astros.

The 61-year-old Ryan replaces Jeff Cogen, who owner Tom Hicks moved to the Dallas Stars during a shake-up of his hockey team in November.

Ryan leaves the Astros with more than a year remaining on a five-year personal services contract he signed in 2004. He most recently served as special assistant to the general manager, scouting players and holding pitching camps.

Ryan's return could help a franchise that has struggled to stay competitive in many of the seasons since he retired in 1993.

The Rangers have finished no better than third in the AL West since 2000, although the only three playoff appearances in franchise history came after he retired in 1993. Pitching has long been a frustration; the Rangers had the fewest strikeouts in the AL last season and their team ERA ranked in the bottom five.

Texas last month bolstered is rotation by signing free agent Jason Jennings, who grew up in Dallas watching Ryan pitch. But bringing Ryan into the front office is likely to stir the most excitement among Rangers fans, many of whom still revere the Texas native.

Some of Ryan's best moments occurred in a Rangers uniform, including his final two no-hitters, his 300th victory and becoming the only pitcher with 5,000 strikeouts.

Even the image of Ryan putting Robin Ventura -- 20 years younger than the aging pitcher -- into a headlock after Ventura charged the mound in Ryan's final season remains a favorite memory for Rangers fans.

This isn't the first time Ryan has left the Astros for the Rangers. In 1988, he signed as a free agent after nine seasons in Houston.
AP via Yahoo

Offline NatsAddict

Re: Nolan Ryan named Rangers President
« Reply #1: February 06, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
I believe the two minor league teams Ryan own part of are Corpus Christi Hooks (AA Astros) and Round Rock Express (AAA Astros).  For some reason, it seems Clemens is part owner of one of them.  I'm not sure about that, though.

I wonder if he'll sell.  The conflict of interest is pretty loose, but appearances may set well.

[EDIT: Both minor league clubs are owned by Ryan-Sanders Baseball, and Clemens, Pettitte and Biggio are all minority owners
Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and Craig Biggio have joined the investment lineup as co-owners of the expanding minor league baseball business controlled by Houston financier Don Sanders and Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan.

The trio of Houston Astros teammates have thrown in with Ryan-Sanders Baseball, the parent company of the Round Rock Express and Corpus Christi Hooks minor league franchises. The three Major League Baseball stars signed on as minority partners in the ownership group.
Houston Business Journal]