Author Topic: The "Software and Web" Geek thread.  (Read 39685 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: The "Software and Web" Geek thread.
« Reply #350: May 05, 2010, 07:43:16 PM »
How is it slow?  Are you just splitting and copying the streams or are you actually transcoding your splits?

It's not very slow during the splitting process. I believe it just takes some extra steps while loading the files. I don't know what "Matroska clusters" are, but I think that process is what's slowing it down. Not completely sure, though. It takes about 7-10 minutes to load a 500 MB mkv file.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #351: May 05, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
Wow you weren't kidding...  just dl'ed it and dropped a movie in...  never seen anything like this before.

It also gave me some error about appending.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #352: May 05, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »
Yeah, that's why I need to find something else. I'm pretty impatient w/ that kind of stuff.

Once thing to like about it, though, is that the audio is never out of sync after converting, splitting, or joining. That's always nice.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #353: May 05, 2010, 07:50:03 PM »
Yeah, that's why I need to find something else. I'm pretty impatient w/ that kind of stuff.

Once thing to like about it, though, is that the audio is never out of sync after converting, splitting, or joining. That's always nice.

Yeah that's part of the reason I tend to use vdub...  I usually do my editing there and convert to uncompressed AVI, then work with that file using whatever other tools.  Not the fastest way, but I've always had good results.  Googling around though it doesn't sound like there are any reliable ways to open MKVs with it.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #354: May 05, 2010, 07:58:21 PM »
I didn't want to start a new thread on this...

I like trying out every type of free software out there, so what does everyone here recommend?

Here's my top 5:

GIMP
Audacity
Winamp (always loved it. never tried anything else)
Celtx (fun free screenwriting program to mess around with)
Foxit Reader

Offline The Chief

« Reply #355: May 05, 2010, 08:03:17 PM »
Do you want our opinions on your top 5? ;)

FileZilla
Logmein
Notepad++
VirtualBox
VLC (VideoLAN Client)

^^ Not necessarily "top 5" but definitely 5 free apps I use often.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #356: May 05, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »
Do you want our opinions on your top 5? ;)

Absolutely. Let me know if there are better options out there.

Notepad++

Awesome.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #357: May 05, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »
GIMP - better free options?  Probably not.  Paint.NET is a really nice free app though.  Not as powerful, but still very good.  Photoshop is still the king, though, if you've got the coin.

Audacity - agreed.

WinAmp - I haven't used it in 10 years so I'm not sure how it compares, but VLC does everything I would assume WinAmp does, and much much more.

Can't comment on screenwriting apps

Foxit is nice, and more capable, but SumatraPDF is a nice and VERY lightweight alternative.  If you work with "serious" PDFs it probably won't cut it, but if you avoid PDFs like the plague it's perfect :icon_mrgreen:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #358: May 05, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »
GIMP - better free options?  Probably not.  Paint.NET is a really nice free app though.  Not as powerful, but still very good.  Photoshop is still the king, though, if you've got the coin.

I had Photoshop, but I honestly think GIMP is better. It's actually easier to use, IMO. They're both great programs, though. Paint.NET is pretty solid, too, but I never really needed it.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #359: May 05, 2010, 08:19:40 PM »
Agree to disagree then.  When you already know how to do everything in PS, GIMP seems hopelessly jumbled.  GIMP also typically lags behind on camera RAW support.  Not a big deal to everyone, but a big deal if you need it.

Agreed @ Paint.NET.  I always like to give it a plug because it really is a nice piece of software, but it's just not the best at anything.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #360: May 06, 2010, 12:16:59 AM »
I am not real deep into desktop programs but I use Ubuntu so most of my crap is free.

I like these:

Rhythmbox (now that it has the Music Store built in)
VLC
Vagalume (a desktop Last.fm player)
Pithos (desktop Pandora player)
Comix (e-reader for digital/scanned comics)
Abiword/Gnumeric (simple, super light, does everything I want. would replace OpenOffice.org with it but I am so paranoid now that I will remove something that breaks my Ubuntu install)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #362: May 09, 2010, 11:16:11 PM »
http://kylo.tv

Browser optimized for use on a tv. Kickass.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #363: May 09, 2010, 11:21:11 PM »
FreeCIV is one of my favorites.

http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #364: May 16, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »
@anywhere rocks.

hadnt had a chance to try it out since it went live, but now that I am back on Twitter, i am seeing it and it is awesome.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #365: May 17, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »
Can anyone suggest a lightweight, non-chrome browser that's hopefully based on Firefox? I want NoScript and Adblock without google earning money off every time I read the post and without the security holes in Chrome.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #366: May 17, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
K-Meleon is Gecko based.
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #367: May 17, 2010, 04:45:53 PM »
Cool, anything is an improvement and this could be good for a netbook

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #368: May 17, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
Looks like xpi's don't work on K-meleon, at least not out of the box. There's IceWeasel, stuff like that . . .

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #369: May 17, 2010, 09:21:37 PM »
Hey guys, I have a couple questions.

I'm trying to install Age of Empires III on my laptop (Dell XPS), and when it's installing (off the disk), it gets to the end and gives me an error message, and then another one - the second one (from my own digging) seems to say that there's not enough space in the temp folder. I looked, and there's like 1.14 GB of stuff in there, but I'm scared to delete any of it. Is it safe too?

Also, my Windows Update won't install certain files. I'm getting error code 640 and 490 for some .Net updates and XML or something. Those seem to be tied into my installation problems because there is supposed to be some XML SP I have to update but I thought I did and it didn't improve.

At first I thought it was a disk issue but I installed it on our desktop in the basement no problem.

Any ideas?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #370: May 17, 2010, 11:45:02 PM »
http://www.scriblink.com/

Anyone used this? Sounds promising, but I assume zero privacy.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #371: May 17, 2010, 11:45:56 PM »
Hey guys, I have a couple questions.

I'm trying to install Age of Empires III on my laptop (Dell XPS), and when it's installing (off the disk), it gets to the end and gives me an error message, and then another one - the second one (from my own digging) seems to say that there's not enough space in the temp folder. I looked, and there's like 1.14 GB of stuff in there, but I'm scared to delete any of it. Is it safe too?

Also, my Windows Update won't install certain files. I'm getting error code 640 and 490 for some .Net updates and XML or something. Those seem to be tied into my installation problems because there is supposed to be some XML SP I have to update but I thought I did and it didn't improve.

At first I thought it was a disk issue but I installed it on our desktop in the basement no problem.

Any ideas?

Right-click the hard drive in My Computer. Choose properties. Click "Disk Cleanup" - then you won't delete stuff you need.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #372: May 17, 2010, 11:51:04 PM »

Right-click the hard drive in My Computer. Choose properties. Click "Disk Cleanup" - then you won't delete stuff you need.

I'll try this, thanks.

With this: Can I delete some of the stuff on there that's like over a gig? Like the windows error stuff? It's a crap load of memory and I don't know what it is.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #373: May 17, 2010, 11:56:36 PM »
I'll try this, thanks.

With this: Can I delete some of the stuff on there that's like over a gig? Like the windows error stuff? It's a crap load of memory and I don't know what it is.

Cached error reports? Yeah go nuts on that.

Things that require adminstrator access be a bit more careful with.

Don't blame me if you go overboard though.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #374: May 17, 2010, 11:57:51 PM »
Cached error reports? Yeah go nuts on that.

Things that require adminstrator access be a bit more careful with.

Don't blame me if you go overboard though.

Yea those cached error reports seem worthless. Those + hibernation mode or whatever (3 gb) can go. i dont ever use hibernation