Author Topic: The "Software and Web" Geek thread.  (Read 39715 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: The "Software and Web" Geek thread.
« Reply #125: January 18, 2010, 11:57:25 PM »
Twitter is even better when you use a good Client for it, rather than the main website.

you guys should try Brizzly. it is freaking ridiculously great. and it is web-based, so you can use it from any computer, no download required.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #126: January 18, 2010, 11:58:31 PM »
you did call it. i will give you due props :clap:

freak facebook. i rarely get on there anymore.

twitter is king.

i never have to read stupid ass chico harlan's worthless blog anymore either. all nats-related news is delivered via tweets in live time.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #127: January 18, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
Twitter is even better when you use a good Client for it, rather than the main website.

you guys should try Brizzly. it is freaking ridiculously great. and it is web-based, so you can use it from any computer, no download required.
Yeah, Brizzly is blocked too :(

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #128: January 18, 2010, 11:59:29 PM »
i tried tweetdeck but it was kind of weak. just using the twitter web site seems to be the most effective way of posting/reading on a computer.

echofon for the iphone is fantastic.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #129: January 19, 2010, 12:00:46 AM »
I use Brizzly or this new Chromed Bird extension i got today.

Brizzly when I am using a non-chrome browser, and when I know I'm just going to sit on twitter for an extended period of time.

Chromed Bird is attached to my web browser, and I use it to kinda pop in and out real quick while I am browsing/working/etc.

only time i ever use the default twitter site, is the mobile version on my phone, or when I need to change account settings.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #130: January 19, 2010, 12:02:39 AM »
i tried tweetdeck but it was kind of weak. just using the twitter web site seems to be the most effective way of posting/reading on a computer.

try Brizzly. trust me.

http://brizzly.com/

Offline Nathan

« Reply #131: January 19, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »
AHA!  Echofon for Firefox extension works!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #132: January 19, 2010, 12:05:33 AM »
try Brizzly. trust me.

http://brizzly.com/
ok. i'm trying it now. i'll try to give it a day or two to see if i like it.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #133: January 19, 2010, 12:06:24 AM »
does brizzly auto-update like the regular twitter website?

like does it tell you when there are more tweets or just auto post them?

edit: appears it auto updates. just saw nathan's tweet

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #134: January 19, 2010, 12:06:49 AM »
AHA!  Echofon for Firefox extension works!

congrats. what's your twitter? i think i am already following you, but not sure.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #135: January 19, 2010, 12:08:13 AM »
why doesn't brizzly show you how many people you are following/how many followers you have?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #136: January 19, 2010, 12:09:23 AM »
why doesn't brizzly show you how many people you are following/how many followers you have?

it does. go to your profile.

it also shows you, if you mouse over the little thumbnail of your avatar at the top, right above the box you type in.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #137: January 19, 2010, 12:12:25 AM »
i like how it shows all links, pics, vids, etc right on the page instead of just links.

the auto-update feature is nice.

for those reasons alone i will probably stick with it because other than that it is similar to the regular twitter page.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #138: January 19, 2010, 12:14:07 AM »
the thing i really like about it is the trending topics on the side, with reasonings. i.e. you can click on "why" and it'll tell you why the topic is trending.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #139: January 19, 2010, 12:16:59 AM »
congrats. what's your twitter? i think i am already following you, but not sure.
twitter.com/claudius753

Offline blue911

« Reply #140: January 19, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
Dangit, I'll never be... oh...   what do the kids say these days?  Oh yeah, I'll never be the bee's knees!

But you are as cute as a bug's ear.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #141: January 19, 2010, 08:49:30 AM »
But you are as cute as a bug's ear.
               Well this is getting interesting.......  :shock:  Ahemmmm..........

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #142: January 19, 2010, 08:55:54 AM »
 I wonder how long this twitter stage is going to last before it morphs into something else.....

Already, celebrities and professional athletes, who have been using it for awhile, are shutting down or taking a hiatus, due to the inordinate amount of time it takes to tweet on a regular basis, and/or information and/or opinions coming out before the individual has thought it out................huge article in the
Business magazines, just out for February, on the whole twittering issue and the impact it is having on business and self-promotion. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #143: January 19, 2010, 09:29:39 AM »
I told all you guys this like 3 months ago while you were all yammering about Facebook.

I. freakING. TOLD. YOU.

lol having a little case of sportsfanitis there are you?  I don't recall much "yammering" about facebook, and certainly not from me as I barely use either.

But yes, you absolutely told us so ;)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #144: January 19, 2010, 09:45:11 AM »
I told all you guys this like 3 months ago while you were all yammering about Facebook.

I. freakING. TOLD. YOU.

twitter to me is 100% useless for communicating with friends (for me). facebook still is vastly superior in that regard, but twitter makes my news-following much easier.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #145: January 19, 2010, 10:32:35 AM »
twitter to me is 100% useless for communicating with friends (for me). facebook still is vastly superior in that regard, but twitter makes my news-following much easier.

A friend of my who studies this kind of thing says that Facebook is "sticky" and Twitter is not. People give up on twitter after a few months, but facebook has features that keep you coming back like photos and event invitations.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #146: January 19, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
A friend of my who studies this kind of thing says that Facebook is "sticky" and Twitter is not. People give up on twitter after a few months, but facebook has features that keep you coming back like photos and event invitations.

I know a bunch of kids my age who use twitter infrequently (or started it, and stopped after a few weeks) but use facebook all the time. I'm one of the few I know that actually uses twitter with any regularity, and that's just for following reporters and such. My journalism class had to make twitter accounts one class; I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who actually used it more than the test tweet for the easy A...

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #147: January 19, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »
https://chrome.google.com/extensions

check em out for yourself.  but note, that the "public/stable" version of Chrome does not support extensions yet, you'll need to download the "Beta" version. if you aren't running the Beta Version, the page i linked here will tell you, and show you how to get it.

adblock, naturally.

and I really like the OneNumber extension. instead of having 4 different extensions for GMail, Voice, Reader, and Wave, I only have one that does everything.

yeah it says my version of chrome is not supported in those extensions.

seperate problem: i was trying to watch scrubs on abc.com, and it was like you need this software to run the vid, so i check the box and agree to sell my soul, etc. and then i click the download button but nothing happens. i had to watch it on firefox (which ironically quit on me once during the episode)

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #148: January 19, 2010, 05:13:16 PM »
yeah it says my version of chrome is not supported in those extensions.

right. you have the "Public" or Stable version of Chrome.  it's the version that everyone downloads. you need to specifically opt to switch to the Beta channel. but it's a simple switch.  open your Chrome Browser, and go here:

http://www.google.com/landing/chrome/beta/

takes like 2 minutes to get the Beta version.

seperate problem: i was trying to watch scrubs on abc.com, and it was like you need this software to run the vid, so i check the box and agree to sell my soul, etc. and then i click the download button but nothing happens. i had to watch it on firefox (which ironically quit on me once during the episode)

this I am not sure of. i've not had any issues downloading plugins. lemme set up my laptop and I'll check it out.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #149: January 19, 2010, 05:16:31 PM »
anyone here use Google Books? do they have FULL books, or just previews with the option to buy from elsewhere?