Author Topic: 2008 Presidential Election  (Read 7034 times)

natsfan1a

Re: 2008 Presidential Election
« Reply #150: February 13, 2008, 08:33:42 AM »
Here's a piece from this morning's Washington Post that summarizes (there's a whole section on the Potomac Primary but this piece addresses turnout):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/12/AR2008021200778.html

p.s. I liked the voting smiley, n2p.

Have they announced the voter turnout percentages?   

natsfan1a

« Reply #151: February 13, 2008, 08:40:04 AM »
Just to clarify for those who are out of state, I didn't live here during the system that calsgr8 describes, but at present I believe that you are not required to register by party in Virginia. You do need to tell them which ballot you want to use for the primary (because you can vote in one or the other but not in both). I believe that at one point (not this year) Virginia Republicans were asking for a loyalty pledge from independent voters who wanted to vote in their primary.

I didn't have to change my party affiliation officially or anything.  I just had to walk up and tell them which party I was voting for today.  Like I said, VA primary system is weird.  It used to be that you had to vote the ballot you were registered as.  So if you're registered Republican, you had to vote in the republican primary.  Independents couldn't vote at all.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #152: February 13, 2008, 09:19:12 AM »
Just to clarify for those who are out of state, I didn't live here during the system that calsgr8 describes, but at present I believe that you are not required to register by party in Virginia. You do need to tell them which ballot you want to use for the primary (because you can vote in one or the other but not in both). I believe that at one point (not this year) Virginia Republicans were asking for a loyalty pledge from independent voters who wanted to vote in their primary.
I do remember signing a loyalty oath for a Republican primary several years ago, but it was for a gubernatorial race. Now it's all loosey-goosey--you just pick the primary you like and vote. I felt vauguely guilty crossing over to the Dems line to vote for Obama but figured McCain didn't need my help. If the elections were held today, I'd definitely vote for Obama over McCain. Hillary, not so much.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #153: February 13, 2008, 09:34:14 AM »
Here's a piece from this morning's Washington Post that summarizes (there's a whole section on the Potomac Primary but this piece addresses turnout):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/12/AR2008021200778.html

Thank you!

From that article:

In Virginia, exit polls estimated that nearly one-third of registered voters turned out yesterday, a state record in a presidential primary. In the District, nearly three times as many voters cast ballots as in the 2004 primary. Maryland officials, meanwhile, projected turnout of about 39 percent, nearly equal to the record set in 1992.

At least they were near records.  I'm sure there are some who wanted to but for whatever reason could not, but to have 61%-67% not vote.... 

In the past it has been the young voters that have stay home in droves.  I don't know if that's the case this year, but they should be the first ones in line.  Their futures that will be affected by the decisions made today are a lot longer than mine.  Even in the 60's and early 70's, the young vote was protesting the Vietnam war, but never made it to the voting booths. 

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #154: February 13, 2008, 09:34:47 AM »
When I was a government employee, you got a certain amt of time off on election day to vote.  You could come to work late or leave early if you lived so far you couldn't make it home before Polls closed.

With my company, Vote on your own time.  Even if you have to take Vacation time to do it.
The Government only gives you leave if you work really far away from your voting place. There's a complex equation involving poll opening and closing times and duty hours that I just ignore. I vote when the polls open, and if I'm a few minutes late, so be it. When I lived in F'burg and worked in Alexandria, I actually missed voting once because of VRE train delays (the polls were closed when I was leaving for work). After that, I voted absentee, which is really pretty easy.

Offline blue911

« Reply #155: February 13, 2008, 09:52:51 AM »
I wasn't asked for ID when I voted. I found that rather strange.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #156: February 13, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »
That is strange.  :o I know I was asked for ID.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #157: February 13, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »
I wasn't asked for ID when I voted. I found that rather strange.

I've worked as an election judge in Maryland, although not since the touchpad machines were introduced.  You could not ask for ID.  It's a touchy political issue, with implications of discrimination against voters who do not have identification, particularly photo ID.  Poorer voters are more likely to lack it, so requiring it might disenfranchise that class.  Of course, the new Diebold machines take care of all that, by rigging the outcome of voting electronically.

Yesterday Maryland check-in judges asked voters to tell them their address and date of birth.

Offline blue911

« Reply #158: February 13, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »
I've worked as an election judge in Maryland, although not since the touchpad machines were introduced.  You could not ask for ID.  It's a touchy political issue, with implications of discrimination against voters who do not have identification, particularly photo ID.  Poorer voters are more likely to lack it, so requiring it might disenfranchise that class.  Of course, the new Diebold machines take care of all that, by rigging the outcome of voting electronically.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

Yesterday Maryland check-in judges asked voters to tell them their address and date of birth.

I checked it out and you are right.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #159: February 13, 2008, 11:40:39 AM »
I've worked as an election judge in Maryland, although not since the touchpad machines were introduced.  You could not ask for ID.  It's a touchy political issue, with implications of discrimination against voters who do not have identification, particularly photo ID.  Poorer voters are more likely to lack it, so requiring it might disenfranchise that class.

Florida has done just the opposite.  Until this year, we had to produce a voter registration and photo ID, then sign a check list that had a pre-printed copy of your signature from the registration application.

This year, it was photo ID only - no voter registration required.  During the weeks ahead of the election, during which time FL has the polling places open.  During that time, with a photo ID, you can vote in any precinct, even if your ID showed you lived in another district, and there are no checklists.  At least on election day, your address must match your ID.  FL has taken the approach that it would rather have people voting several times rather than preventing an registered but without documents voter from voting, even if it also means allowing unregistered voter to vote.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #160: February 13, 2008, 12:19:41 PM »
Florida has done just the opposite.  Until this year, we had to produce a voter registration and photo ID, then sign a check list that had a pre-printed copy of your signature from the registration application...

I forgot; yesterday Maryland printed a slip with your name and address and the voter had to sign it.  I think it was the first time they did it that way.  (I think you had to sign previously, but not that way.)  Since they have your signed initial application on file, they could presumably compare your signature later, if an issue of voter fraud arose.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #161: February 13, 2008, 01:24:06 PM »
I had 2 forms of ID, my Driver's license and my Voter Card.  I just showed my voters card which doesn't have a picture on it.  Of course my address had to match what was on their rolls.

natsfan1a

« Reply #162: February 13, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
You're welcome. One thing that might have affected the Virginia turnout is that the polls didn't not stay open due to the poor weather conditions as they did in Maryland. I've heard that there were some people who could not get to the polls in time to vote in Virginia. We had an ice storm in the afternoon and in some areas the highways were at a standstill due to accidents (there was a combination of a botched forecast and unprepared road crews, both of which you are probably familiar with from your years of living in the area ;) ).

Thank you!

From that article:

At least they were near records.  I'm sure there are some who wanted to but for whatever reason could not, but to have 61%-67% not vote.... 

In the past it has been the young voters that have stay home in droves.  I don't know if that's the case this year, but they should be the first ones in line.  Their futures that will be affected by the decisions made today are a lot longer than mine.  Even in the 60's and early 70's, the young vote was protesting the Vietnam war, but never made it to the voting booths. 

natsfan1a

« Reply #163: February 13, 2008, 03:46:36 PM »
I already had my driver's license out, as did others in line ahead of me, and showed it when I got to the table.

I had 2 forms of ID, my Driver's license and my Voter Card.  I just showed my voters card which doesn't have a picture on it.  Of course my address had to match what was on their rolls.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #164: February 13, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »
I like the official name of the Florida early voting process:  IN PERSON ABSENTEE VOTING

natsfan1a

« Reply #165: February 13, 2008, 04:57:38 PM »
That's funny! :lol:

nospinzone1

« Reply #166: February 13, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
I like the official name of the Florida early voting process:  IN PERSON ABSENTEE VOTING

WHAT YOU EXPECT? THEY ARE CUBANS

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #167: February 13, 2008, 07:16:11 PM »
Actually, I've done that before when my mom was so sick.  I knew I wouldn't be in my town for election day, so I went to the elections office early to sign up for an absentee ballot. 

I was able to vote before the election but it wouldn't be counted until election day.  So yeah, I voted Absentee in Person  :roll: :icon_mrgreen:

nospinzone1

« Reply #168: February 13, 2008, 07:58:24 PM »
Actually, I've done that before when my mom was so sick.  I knew I wouldn't be in my town for election day, so I went to the elections office early to sign up for an absentee ballot. 

I was able to vote before the election but it wouldn't be counted until election day.  So yeah, I voted Absentee in Person  :roll: :icon_mrgreen:

AND YOU AINT EVEN CUBAN....JAJAJA