Author Topic: 2 days to the signing deadline...  (Read 4234 times)

Offline GtownNatsFan

2 days to the signing deadline...
« Topic Start: August 13, 2007, 02:12:23 PM »
Sign Smoker and McGeary!  >:(

Offline PC

Re: 2 days to the signing deadline...
« Reply #1: August 14, 2007, 01:36:50 AM »
From the Nationals Journal at the Post:

Nationals Notes: The Nationals are one of several teams making last-minute pushes to sign their remaining draft picks by tomorrow's deadline, and there are several intriguing factors at work. The club had its regularly scheduled ownership meeting yesterday, and it's possible the baseball side of the club strongly pushed the ownership of the Lerner family for extra funds to land both key remaining picks, high school left-handers Josh Smoker and Jack McGeary.

The other factor: Major League Baseball's owners' meetings begin today in Toronto, and they straddle tomorrow's 11:59 p.m. deadline for signing draft picks. There is pressure from the commissioner's office for teams not to sign players for "over slot" value, meaning paying more than MLB's recommendation for a certain pick.

But with 12 unsigned first-rounders, several observers believe teams are involved in a large game of chicken, with none wanting to have to look the others in the eye and admit how much they paid to sign a key pick. The consensus is there will be a flood of signings immediately before the deadline -- with many over slot value. Yesterday, Atlanta signed the 14th overall pick, high school outfielder Jason Heyward, for $1.7 million, or $170,000 over his slot value, according to Baseball America.

Both Smoker, taken 31st overall, and McGeary, selected in the sixth round, are considered by some to be first-round talents. Smoker is committed to Clemson, but said after the draft he wanted to sign professionally. McGeary has a strong commitment to Stanford -- the reason he fell in the draft -- but he did accept the Nationals' invitation to visit Washington earlier this month, when he and his family met with club officials and attended two games. . . .

Steve Heezy

« Reply #2: August 14, 2007, 11:47:26 AM »
what kills me is the arrogance of ALL (not just our guys) these guys that get drafted .... they are holding out for more money or they want to see how much the next guy gets .... I think slot money should be mandated and the draftees not have a say whatsoever ... they get drafted and are signed the same day then ship out to whatever team they are assigned and start playing baseball ... by these little craps holding out everybody loses. both the team and the player lose a year of development because some first rounder wants 2.5 million instead of 2.35 million.

Detwiler was smart ... he took a little less money and has been playing for over a month and he might see the show next month

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: August 14, 2007, 12:03:35 PM »
Don't underestimate the influence of family and agents - especially for the high school picks. These are young guys who know nothing of business and they have a lot of people pulling them in a lot of directions.

Steve Heezy

« Reply #4: August 14, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »
I know ... i blame it on the parents who think their child is the best player in the world and they fill his head with unrealistic expectations and the agents who tell them to hold out so when they do sign they can put more money in their pockets ...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #5: August 14, 2007, 03:25:51 PM »
what kills me is the arrogance of ALL (not just our guys) these guys that get drafted .... they are holding out for more money or they want to see how much the next guy gets .... I think slot money should be mandated and the draftees not have a say whatsoever ... they get drafted and are signed the same day then ship out to whatever team they are assigned and start playing baseball ... by these little craps holding out everybody loses. both the team and the player lose a year of development because some first rounded wants 2.5 million instead of 2.35 million.

Detwiler was smart ... he took a little less money and has been playing for over a month and he might see the show next month

QFT

natsfan1a

« Reply #6: August 14, 2007, 03:29:41 PM »
WTOP is saying that the Nats will hold a press conference at 4:30 today. They are speculating that it could relate to Smoker...

Offline spidernat

« Reply #7: August 14, 2007, 03:40:04 PM »
WTOP is saying that the Nats will hold a press conference at 4:30 today. They are speculating that it could relate to Smoker...

:pray:

Offline saltydad

« Reply #8: August 14, 2007, 03:40:49 PM »

:pray: :pray:

natsfan1a

« Reply #9: August 14, 2007, 03:43:22 PM »
I'll see you and raise you one  :pray: :pray: :pray:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #10: August 14, 2007, 03:44:44 PM »
I'll see you and raise you one  :pray: :pray: :pray:

This thread is turning into a prayer meeting  :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

natsfan1a

« Reply #11: August 14, 2007, 03:46:01 PM »
Good one! It must have worked -- Mark Zuckerman at the Times says that Smoker has signed.

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/chatter/2007/08/smoker_signs_mark_zuckerman.html

This thread is turning into a prayer meeting  :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

« Reply #12: August 14, 2007, 03:50:48 PM »
Now this is a good belated birthday present.  Thank you, Nats. ;)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #13: August 14, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »
Good one! It must have worked -- Mark Zuckerman at the Times says that Smoker has signed.

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/chatter/2007/08/smoker_signs_mark_zuckerman.html

Damn, I was hoping for a mega announcement.

Signed Smoker AND McGeary

Traded Ian Desmond or something for Wiliy Mo Pena

Traded Tony Blanco for Elijah Dukes

Offline spidernat

« Reply #14: August 14, 2007, 03:54:10 PM »
Damn, I was hoping for a mega announcement.

Signed Smoker AND McGeary

Traded Ian Desmond or something for Wiliy Mo Pena

Traded Tony Blanco for Elijah Dukes

Send your resume to RFK stadium immediately!

This really is great news.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #15: August 14, 2007, 03:56:12 PM »
I thought Smoker was a righty? How many southpaws do we have in our stable now?

Steve Heezy

« Reply #16: August 14, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »
I thought Smoker was a righty? How many southpaws do we have in our stable now?

a bunch .... some will turn into great trade pieces later down the road .... I'm glad we signed Smoker but here are my ?'s that I posted on Nats Farm Authority

Brian,

If he's going for such a small amount over slot value, what the heck took so long? Was Smoker trying to hold out for a lot more and then caved? This is actually a shame, because he could have been pitching a long time ago.

thanks,

Steve

Offline spidernat

« Reply #17: August 14, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
a bunch .... some will turn into great trade pieces later down the road .... I'm glad we signed Smoker but here are my ?'s that I posted on Nats Farm Authority

Brian,

If he's going for such a small amount over slot value, what the heck took so long? Was Smoker trying to hold out for a lot more and then caved? This is actually a shame, because he could have been pitching a long time ago.

thanks,

Steve

That seems to be the case. He played chicken and swerved at the last minute. I guess Clemson was just a bargaining ploy and the Nats didn't cave in. I'm glad they didn't and I'm glad he's in the fold. Now as for McGeary....

Steve Heezy

« Reply #18: August 14, 2007, 04:27:51 PM »
As Zuckerman points out .... with this deal done ... we now have our picks that Bowden settled for when he didn't trade Soriano ........ Josh Smoker and Jordan Zimmermann ...... I can't say this for sure but I'm pretty sure Bowden didn't get that kind of offer for Sori last year.

Offline PC

« Reply #19: August 14, 2007, 04:40:54 PM »
Why isn't this press conference on the web?

natsfan1a

« Reply #20: August 14, 2007, 04:53:52 PM »
Perhaps it will be posted to the team site in a bit?

Why isn't this press conference on the web?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #21: August 14, 2007, 08:38:31 PM »
As Zuckerman points out .... with this deal done ... we now have our picks that Bowden settled for when he didn't trade Soriano ........ Josh Smoker and Jordan Zimmermann ...... I can't say this for sure but I'm pretty sure Bowden didn't get that kind of offer for Sori last year.

Jordan Zimmerman is destined for big things.

Offline GtownNatsFan

« Reply #22: August 16, 2007, 01:40:23 AM »
Both Signed! Woot!! http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/
McGeary was a real coup; signing him makes ours inarguably one of the top 3 drafts in baseball.  We signed Detwiler, Smoker and McGeary- all considered first round talents. 

We even got McGeary for reasonable first round money - signing a first round talent for first round money - but got him in the 6th round! Think how many other teams must be pissed that they passed on him not once but 5 or 6 times due to signability! Not only that, but Burgess (who is tearing up the Gulf Coast League) was previously considered a first-round talent as well.  Here's to the Plan - and to the Lerners following through!

When you consider the arms we already have coming up through the minor leagues (take a look at the Vermont Lake Monsters), as well as the new guys at the major league level, our farm system is now STACKED with pitching talent!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #23: August 16, 2007, 03:20:10 AM »
Both Signed! Woot!! http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/
McGeary was a real coup; signing him makes ours inarguably one of the top 3 drafts in baseball.  We signed Detwiler, Smoker and McGeary- all considered first round talents. 

We even got McGeary for reasonable first round money - signing a first round talent for first round money - but got him in the 6th round! Think how many other teams must be pissed that they passed on him not once but 5 or 6 times due to signability! Not only that, but Burgess (who is tearing up the Gulf Coast League) was previously considered a first-round talent as well.  Here's to the Plan - and to the Lerners following through!

When you consider the arms we already have coming up through the minor leagues (take a look at the Vermont Lake Monsters), as well as the new guys at the major league level, our farm system is now STACKED with pitching talent!

Man, I thought you were kidding about McGeary, or stoned. :) But we really did it (or I should say the Lerners did it). This really does look like they are ready to pony up to the bar and open their wallets. I am so psyched (siked?)! ;)

natsfan1a

« Reply #24: August 16, 2007, 11:58:12 AM »
Yeah, that's super news!  :clap: :clap: :clap: