Author Topic: Banter With Yankee's Fan  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Jedgi

Banter With Yankee's Fan
« Topic Start: August 21, 2012, 01:35:10 AM »
Here was a discussion I had with a Yankees fan. I had posted how I was happy about the Nats victory on social media and this conversation started.

Him: [Nats] Wont beat any AL playoff team in the WS granted they make it!

Me: I don't think you understand. I've never seen any of my teams in a championship series (besides the Caps in 1998 when they got swept that I don't remember because I was 5). Making the World Series would be nothing I could complain about. 30 games over .500 is not something I imagined the Nats being at any point this year in my wildest dreams.

But more on topic, I have no clue why you think they would or wouldn't beat an AL team. Their record against the AL this year has been perfectly fine. If the Nats somehow make the world series and lose to an AL team it won't be because it's an AL team.

Him: Honestly without Strasburg I think you guys are done NLDS

Me: Ok? Because the Nat's record sans Strasburg is so horrible.

Him: Im saying you wont go anywhere without your Ace

Me: Strasburg isn't the Nat's ace this year.

Him: Who is?

Me: Idunno, some guy leading the MLB in ERA. http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=519455

Him: Please any NL pitcher add 1 to the era much better hitting in the AL

Me: Besides being inaccurate that's irrelevant. Jordan Zimmermann is the Nat's ace.

Him: LOL are u kidding me AL Hitting >>>>>>>>> NL Hitting

Me: You're still ignoring my comment. But my inaccurate statement was with regards to adding 1 to NL pitchers ERA's. Pitching in the AL isn't adding 1 to Jordan Zimmermann or Gio Gonzalez. In fact, despite a better W-L record, Gio's ERA is higher this year so far than last year when he pitched for a bad AL team.

Him: Dude thats a known saying add 1 to an NL pitchers ERA if they moved to the AL

Me: Perhaps for average pitchers, but I still don't believe it's quite that much without proper research done. And it wouldn't be because AL Hitting is better, it would be because of the DH. Either way, Zimmermann is still the ace.

Him: Are you telling me you would rather have Zimm than Stras

Me: This year easily yes.

Him: Wow

Fun stuff.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Banter With Yankee's Fan
« Reply #1: August 21, 2012, 01:39:01 AM »

Good thing we're not in the AL we'd never win a game 

:roll:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2: August 21, 2012, 01:51:38 AM »
An idiot, like most Yankee fans.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #3: August 21, 2012, 02:11:31 AM »
I hope that guy hasn't produced any spawn yet.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #4: August 21, 2012, 09:01:53 AM »
Obviously a highlight watcher.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #5: August 21, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »
It's amazing how many Yankee fans live in a delusional world with a different colored sky and an alternative sense of reality. It's no wonder they tend to be the most vocal regarding how other fanbases are ignorant about the game.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #6: August 21, 2012, 10:40:40 AM »
Uh ... I agree with him about AL hitting being better than the NL

Top 5 OPS
NY Yankees
Texas
Colorado
St Louis
LA Angels

So, in your top five, three are AL teams and and an NL team that plays in Colorado.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #7: August 21, 2012, 10:43:32 AM »
Well by nature, having the DH makes AL hitting better. But you also have some of the best hitters parks in baseball, and I believe worse pitching. The idea of adding 1 to the ERA is dumb though.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #8: August 21, 2012, 10:50:35 AM »
It's amazing how many Yankee fans live in a delusional world with a different colored sky and an alternative sense of reality. It's no wonder they tend to be the most vocal regarding how other fanbases are ignorant about the game.

I know a Yankees fan with redeeming value: she knew Anthony Rendon and is following him through the minors. After he got promoted we had a long chat about where he fit in the Nats' future.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #9: August 21, 2012, 10:54:36 AM »
Well by nature, having the DH makes AL hitting better. But you also have some of the best hitters parks in baseball, and I believe worse pitching. The idea of adding 1 to the ERA is dumb though.

The DH does help. But the Yankees, Angels and Rangers are all top 5 in OPS away from home too.

Oddly enough, the Nationals are in the top 5 of that as well ...

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #10: August 21, 2012, 11:05:36 AM »
The DH does help. But the Yankees, Angels and Rangers are all top 5 in OPS away from home too.

Nats have been on an unreal tear offensively since the All Star Break and their road record is nuts. Plus 6 games in Colorado and Arizona never hurts :shrug:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #11: August 21, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »
Does this Yankee fan bet?

Offline Once an Expos Fan

• Nos Amours
« Reply #12: August 21, 2012, 11:20:26 AM »
Phil Hughes.

Nuff said.

Offline Jedgi

« Reply #13: August 21, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »

Playing away usually doesn't take away their DH.

• Nos Amours
« Reply #14: August 21, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »
Still have a tough time understanding why MLB has allowed a serious difference in rule between one league and another for so long regarding the pitcher's spot. Standardize it already.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #15: August 21, 2012, 11:32:52 AM »
Still have a tough time understanding why MLB has allowed a serious difference in rule between one league and another for so long regarding the pitcher's spot. Standardize it already.

NO. DO NOT. Because when they standardize it they will make the NL have DHs. So NO.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #16: August 21, 2012, 11:37:58 AM »

Well, the DH does more than help, it makes a huge difference. It is the fundamental difference between the offenses in one league versus the other. Hitting breeds hitting. I don't really understand the away from home comment. The interleague play results when playing away would be a legitimate measure to an extent, but playing away within the AL means nothing.

It is true that AL teams have a greater focus on offense due to the combination of the DH, the money behind a lot of the teams due to the modern stadiums, and the fact that the DH brings bigger slugger FAs to the AL due to the long-term viability of the contracts (e.g. Pujols, Fielder, etc.). However, the NL lagging behind in that category due to the stadium revenue differential has been transitioning. And the NL has won both the last two AS games and WS. In the end, it really comes down to pitching. Teams like TX and Anaheim are scary because of the combination of hitting and pitching.

I think it is valid to look at the make up of individual teams like the Rangers and then see how they stack up against say the Dodgers. This is why the Phillies were a good matchup when they were at the top. But comparing overall league OPS isn't an apples to apples comparison, given the DH impact. It fundamentally transforms the nature of the games.

• Nos Amours
« Reply #17: August 21, 2012, 11:44:28 AM »
NO. DO NOT. Because when they standardize it they will make the NL have DHs. So NO.

I would hope not. freak the DH.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: August 21, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »
I think it is valid to look at the make up of individual teams like the Rangers and then see how they stack up against say the Dodgers. This is why the Phillies were a good matchup when they were at the top. But comparing overall league OPS isn't an apples to apples comparison, given the DH impact. It fundamentally transforms the nature of the games.

I don't think there's much point- how many people would have had the cards or giants against the Rangers? A seven game series is so short that matchups matter less than which player happens to be hot, i.e. I'll take a streaky Cody Ross or Allen Craig playing hot over a cold Hamilton, and you can't predict those things in advance

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #19: August 21, 2012, 12:51:36 PM »
I don't think there's much point- how many people would have had the cards or giants against the Rangers? A seven game series is so short that matchups matter less than which player happens to be hot, i.e. I'll take a streaky Cody Ross or Allen Craig playing hot over a cold Hamilton, and you can't predict those things in advance

Thus the crapshoot of the playoffs. :) But this was really a matter of comparing which teams are really better offensively. The idea that the Nats can't beat an AL team because AL teams in general have better offenses is just a flawed argument on a lot of levels, including the one you mention. But the original premise was based upon a perceived AL dominance due to AL offensive numbers, which are naturally going to be inflated due to the DH.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #20: August 21, 2012, 02:23:29 PM »
I think there have been studies of pitchers who change leagues and there is a difference in terms of ERA.  It's not 1 run, but ERAs tend to be higher in the AL.

Anecdotally, if you do fantasy baseball, that's one reason to stock up on NL pitchers over multiple years. 

• Nos Amours
« Reply #21: August 21, 2012, 04:32:41 PM »
Anecdotally, if you do fantasy baseball, that's one reason to stock up on NL pitchers over multiple years. 

You're right on the ball.

While we're on that topic - 6 of the 7 SP on my team are from the NL (Kershaw, Latos, Wainwright, Medlen, Miley, Billingsley). My only AL'er (Haren) has pitched poorly this year.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #22: August 22, 2012, 04:37:13 PM »

Offline madj55

« Reply #23: August 22, 2012, 05:10:01 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Well this guy should check his grammar while he's in America.