Author Topic: Edwin Jackson - The Forgotten One?  (Read 8860 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Edwin Jackson - The Forgotten One?
« Topic Start: June 07, 2012, 10:16:40 AM »
Kilgore notes Jackson's career year is being lost in the fog of the performance of the rest of the staff:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/edwin-jacksons-overlooked-career-season-for-the-nationals/2012/06/07/gJQAU8vCKV_blog.html#pagebreak

Jackson has a 3.11 ERA and a matching 3.11 strikeout-to-walk ratio, both career-bests. The Nationals signed him to be a workhorse, and he leads them with 72 1 / 3 innings.

“He’s like the silent assassin of the pitching staff,” right fielder Michael Morse said. “When you’re pitching behind those two guys, you’re always going to hear about what they were doing. But Edwin always goes out and puts up solid starts.”

Jackson has walked a career-low 2.4 batters per nine innings, even after walking four Mets hitters last night. Last year, Jackson threw 16.23 pitches per inning. This year, he has sliced that to 13.85, which ranks second in the majors behind only Cliff Lee.

Rather than a mechanical overhaul, Jackson merely simplified his approach. The results have been staggering. Last year, opposing hitters batted .339/.390/.478 against Jackson with no one on base. This year, they have hit .185/.229/.363.

Could a 3 year deal be in the plan?

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Edwin Jackson - The Forgotten One?
« Reply #1: June 07, 2012, 10:20:52 AM »
Could a 3 year deal be in the plan?

maybe in free agency, but this was always a 'show me' contract, and boras thinks he deserves star money

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: June 07, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
Jackson is throwing 13 pitches an inning?

"But the pitch count, what about the pitch count!?!"

- Bob, after every single batter this year.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #3: June 07, 2012, 10:29:01 AM »
Well, they said they noticed that he was tipping his pitches and planned to change it. Easier to pitch if hitters don't know what's coming.

But McCatty says this:

“Everybody was worried about the tipping of the pitches,” pitching coach Steve McCatty said. “I never saw it. Maybe some people picked something up. All I wanted him to do was be athletic. Just go out and worry about one thing, and that’s throwing the ball over the plate.”

but McCatty seems to go all ho-hum and not give anything away in interviews.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #4: June 07, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »
but McCatty seems to go all ho-hum and not give anything away in interviews.

Yeah, based purely on interviews, you would assume Steve McCatty never does anything at all except tell pitchers to throw the ball over the plate and be confident.

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #5: June 07, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »
Does anyone think we keep him long(er) term?

3 years, 17 mil?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: June 07, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »
Does anyone think we keep him long(er) term?

3 years, 17 mil?

he's making $11 million this year, he supposedly turned down 3 years $30 from the pirates before signing with us (http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/07/roy-oswalt-like-edwin-jackson-turned-down-the-pirates/), I think everyone involved has been up front that he wants to demonstrate his talents to get a larger deal next year in free agency

Offline madj55

« Reply #7: June 07, 2012, 12:28:08 PM »
Yeah, based purely on interviews, you would assume Steve McCatty never does anything at all except tell pitchers to throw the ball over the plate and be confident.

That's all some guys need though haha

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #8: June 07, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »
Mets announcers -- including Keith Hernandez -- had high praise for Jackson. Roughly, "The Mets looked flat tonight, but a lot of it was Edwin Jackson's fine pitching. He went deep into the ball-game, and Davey needed that after using so many pitchers last night".

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #9: June 07, 2012, 12:49:43 PM »
he's making $11 million this year, he supposedly turned down 3 years $30 from the pirates before signing with us (http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/07/roy-oswalt-like-edwin-jackson-turned-down-the-pirates/), I think everyone involved has been up front that he wants to demonstrate his talents to get a larger deal next year in free agency

Yeah, this is precisely what he and Boras had to be hoping for.  I think he's going to want something relatively huge - if he keeps it up, this ends up being the breakout year that everybody has been looking to see from him.  He'll only be 29 and a good track record - he could be looking for like a 5/60 kind of deal.  I wouldn't mind seeing him back (for less years than that), but I really hope we go hard for Greinke, who has to be looking at the standings, wishing he had been ok coming to Washington.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #10: June 07, 2012, 03:21:10 PM »
Why? The team would likely be a shell of what it was had the Royals raided us as leaked.

Plus, Greinke went to the playoffs last year. He already knows what it feels like to win.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #11: June 07, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »
Why? The team would likely be a shell of what it was had the Royals raided us as leaked.

Plus, Greinke went to the playoffs last year. He already knows what it feels like to win.

Sorry - wrote poorly.  I'm glad we didn't get Greinke then, but it was widely rumored that he turned it down.  I think he might be looking at where we are now and where the Brewers are now and thinking a longer-term deal here might be better.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #12: June 07, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
That would be a nice coup if we could get Greinke here next year.  If we do it, I doubt we see a JZ extension.  But for a few years, we'll have Stras, Gio, Greinke, and JZ. 

Offline RL04

« Reply #13: June 11, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »
Edwin Jackson - The Forgotten One?

For a #4 starter on the rotation, he seems to be doing just fine.

Lot's of other teams (all?) would like to have the Nationals's starting pitchers.  ... and relievers.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #14: June 11, 2012, 04:43:19 PM »
That would be a nice coup if we could get Greinke here next year.  If we do it, I doubt we see a JZ extension.  But for a few years, we'll have Stras, Gio, Greinke, and JZ. 

Greinke and Bourn would be an A+ offseason.

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
« Reply #15: June 11, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »
Jackson is not worth $11 million, let alone 5/60.  Any #4 on any staff is not worth this.  Let this guy pass.  The BEST I would offer is 2/17.  No more!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: June 11, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »
Then I assume you don't want Greinke (or really to improve the rotatoon at all next year after jackson leaves) since that would push Zimmermann to number 4 (and you can bet he's due for a big jump over his current 2.3 in arbitration)

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #17: June 11, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
Jackson is not worth $11 million, let alone 5/60.  Any #4 on any staff is not worth this.  Let this guy pass.  The BEST I would offer is 2/17.  No more!

Your #4/5 pitchers don't HAVE to be mediocre simply because they are nominally "back-end" starters. If you have the money there's no reason not to try and improve your team.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #18: June 11, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
You're #4/5 pitchers don't HAVE to be mediocre simply because they are nominally "back-end" starters. If you have the money there's no reason not to try and improve your team.

sanity
:clap:

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #19: June 11, 2012, 05:39:20 PM »
Any #4 on any staff is not worth this.  Let this guy pass.  The BEST I would offer is 2/17.  No more!

This makes no sense.  The #1 competitive advantage that the Nats have is that they have their number 1, 2, and 3 starters as well as most of their starting infield locked up at extremely team-friendly prices for the next 4-5 years.  The reason to do that is to be able to then spend more to get a really-top flight guy as your #4 and 5.  The reason most teams can't do this is because they have to spend more to get great #1s. 

Maybe you mean Jackson isn't worth that money because you don't think he's that good a pitcher - ok, I still don't know if I agree, but I can see that point.  But to say "He's going to be #4 in our rotation, and therefore I wouldn't pay X for him," makes no sense.  The #4 starter will get 30-35 starts just like the #1 starter will.  And those wins and losses will count just as much - no reason not to get a guy who would be #1 on another team and make him our #4.  5 aces don't hurt.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #20: June 11, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »

So... he's having the best season of his career... and you'd offer him less to return than what he's making this year?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #21: June 11, 2012, 09:52:36 PM »
Looks like Edwin has passed Cliff Lee for most efficient (fewest pitches per inning average).

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #22: June 11, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
Didn't Edwin jackson pitch a complete game the day after a lengthy extra inning game that used a lot of bullpen arms?

Offline Bloo

« Reply #23: June 11, 2012, 10:13:42 PM »
This is looking way too far down the road. I'd live in the present and enjoy Jackson as a member of the Nationals.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #24: June 11, 2012, 10:16:33 PM »
great game tonight and Jackson is gonna be a huge part of our season this year.  That said, I'm not sure why we should go spend a lot of money on him next year when he would still be the 4th best starter on our team.  A 4 can only pitch one game a playoff series, not two.  That's a huge difference, and b/c he could be a 2nd or 3rd guy on other teams, he should be worth way more to them.  Better to spend money on offense I think.