Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97330 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #300: June 29, 2010, 10:29:02 PM »
Keep up the great work, you're off to a nice start.  Don't mind blue, he likes his carbs liquid.   :glug: :cheers:
So do I :?  9 days on the wagon.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #301: June 29, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »
So do I :?  9 days on the wagon.

You're a stronger man than I am.

A 3 day weekend with my son's Boy Scout troop is about all the sobering up I care to deal with.  Although next summer, I'm doing their high adventure Philmont N.M. trip, two weeks on the wagon.

:?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #302: July 04, 2010, 02:15:41 AM »
I always wanted to go to Philmont when I was a scout. Get plenty of pics.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #303: July 04, 2010, 11:25:14 AM »
I'd lay odds those come from the Florida Market. I haven't tracked down the source but several of the places have half smokes that are just as good or better than that stand. Granted the stand itself has the best half smokes I have found in a cart or restaurant.

Granted Weenie Beenie & Ben's Chili Bowl has the history going for it but I don't like that style as much.

The cart on 9th and Penn. is worth a stop too.

havent been to that stand, but one of the Canales places at Eastern Market has halfsmokes that are probably the same as Ben's. The casing is thick and snappy. The meat is chunky and they are pretty hot. There are two Canales places there, one sells halfsmokes that look like hot dogs, the other (better) one looks like sausage

if you want a cooked one, Union Meat in there too has em on hot dog rollers. Just on a hot dog bun though and not much fixins besides relish, mustard, and onions. But it is like $2 or 2.50.

Shocker, also at Eastern Market on weekends, the pretzel dog and limeade stand is awesome. Not a great value though. its like 3 bucks for a pretzel wrapped dog. Not a ton of meat, But it is very tasty. I think the pretzel keeps in all the hot dog juices

Offline Dave B

« Reply #304: July 04, 2010, 11:39:10 AM »
Definitely top five but I think there is better. Try Taylor Gourmet on H ST NE; easily the best Philadelphia style Italian in the city.

Also A. Litteri does an incredible chicken parm and can outclass the others if you mix and match it right. 9" hard roll rocks.

Not a huge fan of Taylor cold cut sanwdiches (or maybe their other stuff is just better), but their Pattison Ave (roasted or braised pork, sharp provolone, and broccoli rabe) has come pretty close to unseating Litteri's Classic Italian 9 inch with hot peppers as my number one. Taylor's chicken cutlet sandwiches are also really good. Get the 12 inch at Taylor and split it or save it for the next day, or else you get slightly ripped off

Toscana, near union station makes a killer chicken parm dinner for like 10 bucks for takeout. Hard to finish the whole thing (chicken plus pasta)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #305: July 04, 2010, 11:42:51 AM »
Beercan chicken.  I've been trying forever to make chicken that gets that crispy skin on it. And I' think I've finally got it after trying to make beercan chicken twice.

Get a dry rub and rub the crap out of it, try to get it inside the breast skin too

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-surreal-gourmet/beer-can-chicken-recipe/index.html

i skipped a lot of steps. just chicken and rub. put on can. put on grill

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #306: July 04, 2010, 11:43:28 AM »
Is parma ham legal in this country?  That stuff is the shiznit on a hard roll.  I know at one point it could not be imported for some stupid reason, but that may have changed.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #307: July 04, 2010, 11:48:39 AM »
Is parma ham legal in this country?  That stuff is the shiznit on a hard roll.  I know at one point it could not be imported for some stupid reason, but that may have changed.

what is that? like prosciutto?  iberico ham became legal maybe a year or so ago. its like 80 bucks a pound. got an 1/8 once.  a cheaper option would be serrano ham for like 20/lb. IIRC they are similar. they are a little harder than prosciutto

• babble on
« Reply #308: July 04, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »
Yeah, harder than prusciutto.  Less sticky.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #309: July 04, 2010, 07:11:28 PM »
Is parma ham legal in this country?  That stuff is the shiznit on a hard roll.  I know at one point it could not be imported for some stupid reason, but that may have changed.

As far as I know. Prosciutto de Parma. Wegman's is likely to have it, Rodman's maybe.

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/wegmans_prosciutto_wrapped_cod

Here's a video from Wegman's about making Parma ham wrapped cod.

• babble on
« Reply #310: July 04, 2010, 08:23:01 PM »
A friend whose SO is cajun sent me a recipe for this dish:  blackened red hersarvie - a blackened redfish stuffed with a herring stuffed with a sardine stuffed with an anchovy

Offline Nathan

« Reply #311: July 04, 2010, 08:27:58 PM »
Tonight I had a steak, grilled, with sautéed mushrooms and oven roasted asparagus.

• babble on
« Reply #312: July 04, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Nice eats.  Asparagus is really good in quiche, too. 

Tonight I had a steak, grilled, with sautéed mushrooms and oven roasted asparagus.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #313: July 04, 2010, 10:33:28 PM »
I had steak, beef back ribs, corn, chicken, and NO REAL VEGETABLES :D The ribs were freaking amazing.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #314: July 09, 2010, 05:52:32 PM »
Homemade tortillas are awesome. I don't think I can eat regular tortillas ever again.

There is this stuff Maseca, you just add water to it, ball em up, flatten em, throw em on a pan for a minute or so. You can vary the thickness and do all sorts of stuff. And it is cheap as hell.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #315: July 09, 2010, 05:57:58 PM »
I've gotta say pork loin is my new go to- a fraction of the cost of a comparable steak, healthier, and great taste

Offline blue911

« Reply #316: July 09, 2010, 06:11:37 PM »
Homemade tortillas are awesome. I don't think I can eat regular tortillas ever again.

There is this stuff Maseca, you just add water to it, ball em up, flatten em, throw em on a pan for a minute or so. You can vary the thickness and do all sorts of stuff. And it is cheap as hell.

The bottom of every plate has a small ring that is the perfect size & height. Place a flatten ball in the center of the ring and push down on the plate.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #317: July 09, 2010, 06:19:54 PM »
The bottom of every plate has a small ring that is the perfect size & height. Place a flatten ball in the center of the ring and push down on the plate.

good tip. lots of trial and error yesterday. kinda just gave up on getting good size and shape and just used whatever came out like a shovel

Offline blue911

« Reply #318: July 09, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »
good tip. lots of trial and error yesterday. kinda just gave up on getting good size and shape and just used whatever came out like a shovel

Another thing that's important is take a zip lock bag (gallon size is perfect) slit it down the side and put a small amount of canola oil on the bag. Fold the bag back and oil both sides of the bag. Then put the flatten dough into the bag before you flatten the masa. The tortilla's peel right out, and there is enough oil on the bag for a dozen or so tortilla so you don't need any oil in the pan.

If you get them just right ,you can fry them in the pan then put them on an open flame and they puff up like Chapatti.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #319: July 09, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »
Oh, you're using the oiled baggies for tortillas.  :phew:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #320: July 09, 2010, 08:40:21 PM »
Another thing that's important is take a zip lock bag (gallon size is perfect) slit it down the side and put a small amount of canola oil on the bag. Fold the bag back and oil both sides of the bag. Then put the flatten dough into the bag before you flatten the masa. The tortilla's peel right out, and there is enough oil on the bag for a dozen or so tortilla so you don't need any oil in the pan.

If you get them just right ,you can fry them in the pan then put them on an open flame and they puff up like Chapatti.

my gf found wax paper to work well for non stickiness

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #321: July 11, 2010, 12:50:20 PM »
Just put a small brisket on the grill, 6 hours from now I should have some good sandwiches

Offline Nathan

« Reply #322: July 11, 2010, 03:33:58 PM »
Made a pizza on a flatbread on the grill.  It was pretty awesome.

• babble on
« Reply #323: July 11, 2010, 10:52:25 PM »
Food on the table at the local bar for the WC final:

--whole suckling pig
--ceviche
--octopus salad
--potatoes in oil
--dried cod
--paella
--roast potatoes with pork and chorizo

No wonder those spanish kangaroos won.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #324: July 12, 2010, 07:21:38 PM »
Food on the table at the local bar for the WC final:

--whole suckling pig
--ceviche
--octopus salad
--potatoes in oil
--dried cod
--paella
--roast potatoes with pork and chorizo

No wonder those spanish kangaroos won.

Definitely sounds like a feast worthy of a winner!