Author Topic: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF  (Read 52508 times)

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF
« Topic Start: October 24, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
Brian Goodwin

Position: CF Bats: Left Throws: Left
Height: 6' 1" Weight: 190 lb. Age: 20 (11/2/1990)
Picked No. 34 by the Nationals in June 2011 Draft

College Stats:
2010 (UNC): .291/.411/.511, 66 H/227 AB, 47 R, 13 2B, 8 3B, 7 HR, 63 RBI, 7/9 SB, 45 BB/49 K
2011 (MDC): .382/.492/.631, 60 H/157 AB, 42 R, 11 2B, 2 3B, 8 HR, 37 RBI, 16/18 SB

Goodwin said he had no problems with UNC coaches or teammates but was dismissed from school because of academic issues.
Once he left, Price — a fellow native of Rocky Mount — recruited Goodwin to MDC, where he fixed his grades and got his career back on track.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/05/2253106/mdcs-goodwin-back-on-track.html

...could be a center fielder and leadoff hitter, general manager Mike Rizzo said.
http://www.masnsports.com/the_goessling_game/2011/06/nationals-take-brian-goodwin-with-34th-pick.html

"Brian Goodwin is a top athlete and one of the most dynamic talents available in the 2011 draft. Goodwin is filled with potential offensively. He has a good approach at the plate and is willing to take a walk. He has plus bat speed. Goodwin’s swing is not geared to for hitting home runs, but he should be in the 10-15 home run range. He is also a threat to steal once he is on base. The only drawback for Goodwin is that he does tend to swing and miss a bit too often. Goodwin should be able to remain in center at the next level. He covers plenty of ground and has a plus arm. His breaks and routes need work...His game needs some polish, but there is plenty of potential here."
From Matt Grabusky, MLB Draft Guide, 6/5/2011:

He just went through the Instructional League in Florida, Byron Kerr reports that he's making good progress according to Byron Kerr of MASN:
"Goodwin made huge strides at instructs," Harris said. "The last three days, he put together some of the best at-bats we had seen."
 "He worked on his path to the ball and put together quality at-bats. Defensively, he made some nice plays at the end of camp."

Pros: Top flight speed, great on the base paths, good plate discipline, hits for some power
Cons: Defense in CF is questionable
MLB Comparison: If he lives up to his potential, Michael Bourn

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow The Prospects: Brian Goodwin, CF
« Reply #1: October 24, 2011, 04:07:15 PM »
Nice job, Squab!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2: October 24, 2011, 04:13:08 PM »
Nice thread.

I'm super interested to see if Goodwin or JBJ has the better career.

Offline RD

« Reply #3: October 25, 2011, 12:39:22 AM »
Nice job, but Im going to have to disagree with the Bourn comparison. He profiles to have MUCH more power than Bourn. While Goodwin won't be a 30 HR guy, he should reach at least double digits each year. Compared to the 13 career in 6 seasons for Bourn. I also don't think he's as fast as Bourn. Goodwin has well above average speed, but he's not a burner like Bourn. He might be a guy that gets into the 30's regularly, but I don't think he's a 50/60 guy that pushes for the steals crown on ay ear to year basis.

While it's a little more glowing, and its an absolute best case scenario, Id say he compares more to Andrew McCutcheon. He should get on base quite a bit, hit for a decent average, have some pop, and steal a good amount of bases. I actually dont think he'll be as good as McCutcheon, but he'll be more along the type of him - exciting and can do a bit of everything, as opposed to an all speed guy like Bourn.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: October 25, 2011, 07:40:49 AM »
Nice job, Squab!

No kidding, a solid contribution only 27 posts in.

:clap:

I would suggest that it is helpful to attribute quotes.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #5: October 25, 2011, 11:58:05 AM »
Nice job, but Im going to have to disagree with the Bourn comparison. He profiles to have MUCH more power than Bourn. While Goodwin won't be a 30 HR guy, he should reach at least double digits each year. Compared to the 13 career in 6 seasons for Bourn. I also don't think he's as fast as Bourn. Goodwin has well above average speed, but he's not a burner like Bourn. He might be a guy that gets into the 30's regularly, but I don't think he's a 50/60 guy that pushes for the steals crown on ay ear to year basis.

While it's a little more glowing, and its an absolute best case scenario, Id say he compares more to Andrew McCutcheon. He should get on base quite a bit, hit for a decent average, have some pop, and steal a good amount of bases. I actually dont think he'll be as good as McCutcheon, but he'll be more along the type of him - exciting and can do a bit of everything, as opposed to an all speed guy like Bourn.

:thumbs: Solid.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #6: October 25, 2011, 12:00:06 PM »
Squab, fantastic post!

:clap:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #7: January 31, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »
4. Brian Goodwin, OF
DOB: 11/2/90
Height/Weight: 6-1/195
Bats/Throws: L/L
Drafted/Signed: 1st round, 2011, Miami Dade South CC
2011 Stats: DNP
Tools Profile: Five-tool outfielder.

Year in Review: Winding college career went from North Carolina to the junior college ranks, but tools earned him a $3 million bonus in August.
The Good: Goodwin has plenty of tools. He has bat speed and the raw strength to project for average power. He's a plus-plus burner who covers plenty of ground in center field and has a plus arm. He has a good idea at the plate and understands the value of drawing walks.
The Bad: Goodwin is still a bit raw. He focuses more on pulling balls than making contact, letting his speed and natural strength work for him. He often needs his speed in the outfield to make up for bad jumps.
Ephemera: Goodwin was a 17th-round pick by the White Sox in 2009 out of Rocky Mount High School in North Carolina. None of the four players drafted out of the school reached the big leagues, but their athletic program has produced several NFL and NBA players, including Buck Williams and Phil Ford.
Perfect World Projection: Star-level outfielder.
Fantasy Impact: A potential stud who fills up all five categories.
Path to the Big Leagues: Goodwin has plenty of potential but will likely need to play at each level while he develops, starting a Low-A Hagerstown.
ETA: 2014

From the 2012 Baseball Prospectus guide.

www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15894

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #8: January 31, 2012, 09:54:31 PM »
loving these updates - thanks Linty.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #9: March 30, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »
Nationals Prospects with a compilation of scouting bits: http://2011nationalsdraft.blogspot.com/2011/07/round-1-supplemental-brian-goodwin-of.html

Man, the OF prospects are awesome.

Hopefully, Goodwin develops his defense in CF. 

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #10: April 05, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »
Very nice and informative post.

:lol: We are still making these threads? I remember when a few posters and I first pitched the idea to the board. Awesome!

Offline RD

« Reply #11: April 06, 2012, 12:02:24 AM »
Not a bad debut today for Goodwin.

Batting leadoff in center, he went 2-4, 2 runs, 4 RBI, with a 2 run bomb and a walk. Also had an outfield assist.

Really can't have a much better start to your career.

If he gets off to a fast start, that Potomac outfield could be as exciting as any in the minors with Taylor, Oduber, and Goodwin.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #12: April 06, 2012, 12:16:52 AM »
Not a bad debut today for Goodwin.

Batting leadoff in center, he went 2-4, 2 runs, 4 RBI, with a 2 run bomb and a walk. Also had an outfield assist.

Really can't have a much better start to your career.

If he gets off to a fast start, that Potomac outfield could be as exciting as any in the minors with Taylor, Oduber, and Goodwin.

Goodwin is playing for Hagerstown currently.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #13: April 06, 2012, 12:20:25 AM »
Goodwin is playing for Hagerstown currently.

I interpreted it as, "If he gets off to a fast start, he'll be promoted shortly."

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #14: April 06, 2012, 12:29:11 AM »
I'm not sure he's on a fast track. I don't think he'll get promoted till after the ASB

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: April 06, 2012, 07:55:51 AM »
I'm not sure he's on a fast track. I don't think he'll get promoted till after the ASB

Yep, that would be more in line with the Nats MO

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #16: April 06, 2012, 09:33:22 AM »
It doesn't make organizational sense to fast track prospects, anyways. First of all, for every Bryce Harper that seems to relish continuous challenge, there seems to be many others who lose confidence as they tread water against more advanced prospects. So you run the risk of ruining a kid's confidence by raising the probability they're overmatched, and what's the reward? Maybe getting a kid to the majors a year or two faster and using up their team control years before they're ready to contribute their peak performance?

Let's not turn Goodwin into Jordan Schafer and rush him up just because we need a CF. I think ideally (and the Nats seem to follow this pattern) you let every prospect spend a year at each level, whether it's over the course of one season, or returning them to where they finished the previous season if they were promoted mid-year the season before.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #17: April 06, 2012, 10:48:18 AM »
It doesn't make organizational sense to fast track prospects, anyways. First of all, for every Bryce Harper that seems to relish continuous challenge, there seems to be many others who lose confidence as they tread water against more advanced prospects. So you run the risk of ruining a kid's confidence by raising the probability they're overmatched, and what's the reward? Maybe getting a kid to the majors a year or two faster and using up their team control years before they're ready to contribute their peak performance?

Let's not turn Goodwin into Jordan Schafer and rush him up just because we need a CF. I think ideally (and the Nats seem to follow this pattern) you let every prospect spend a year at each level, whether it's over the course of one season, or returning them to where they finished the previous season if they were promoted mid-year the season before.

Exactly. He only played 2 seasons in college (does the JuCo really count?). It's not like he's Rendon, seasoned from playing at Rice.

Offline blue911

« Reply #18: April 06, 2012, 10:51:56 AM »
Exactly. He only played 2 seasons in college (does the JuCo really count?). It's not like he's Rendon, seasoned from playing at Rice.

Miami- Dade is probably better than 50% of the D-I schools.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #19: April 06, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »

umm...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #20: April 06, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »
umm...

JuCo's are very good. It's not like other sports where they have inferior athletes... JuCo's for baseball are either guys that didn't have the grades to go D-1, or had a problem and left the program. Tons of first round talent in JuCo's.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #21: April 06, 2012, 11:17:58 AM »

Rice is better than 97% of D-I schools.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #22: April 06, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
Actually, that has a surprisingly high chance of being true. Since 2008, Miami-Dade has had 22 players drafted. UVA, for example, is a top flight D-I school and has had 28.

Now the quality of the players drafted is different (UVA's were drafted much higher), but you get the idea.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #23: April 06, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
I went through Miami-Dade's draft history. Quite a few picks, but Goodwin was the first '1st round' selection in the past 20 years (not to say that matters, since there's been talent to come from the school).
JuCo's are great for players that you outlined, but it feels like a stopgap; like Harper, one-and-done. I'd have to think that Division I schools produce better talent, but there's nothing to really prove that theory

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #24: April 06, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Well there's 280 D-I baseball programs or so, and I bet you're thinking about talent from the top programs rather than focusing on the bottom half.

I picked the Southern Conference at random. Elon has finished first in the conference 3 or the previous 4 years. In the last four drafts from 2008-2011 covering those seasons, they had 20 players drafted, two less than Miami-Dade. Those players were picked, on average, in the 27th round. Miami-Dade's were picked, on average, in the 25th round.

That's a leading team in a crappy D-I conference. I think that blue911, if not right, is probably pretty close.

If you get into all the crappy teams, Miami-Dade's talent is FAR better. Davidson, the SoCon cellar dweller, has had just 5 players drafted since 2008.