Author Topic: Arizona Fall League - 2010 (updated "It's Harper Time")  (Read 17887 times)

Offline Potomac Cannons

Two RBI double for Norris in the bottom of the 2nd.  It's going to be really hard to not get too excited about this kid.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Two RBI double for Norris in the bottom of the 2nd.  It's going to be really hard to not get too excited about this kid.

Not get too excited? I already am!

Offline Potomac Cannons

Solis has been interesting so far.  46 pitches, 32 strikes through 3 IP.  4 H (1 HR), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 ER.  He gave up an unearned run in the 2nd on a SS throwing error.  Uneven, but it looks like his results are a bit better today.  Really wish they had the Pitch FX working so we could gauge his stuff today.

Burgess singled in Norris in the 2nd.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Final line for Solis today was a mixed bag. 

5 IP, 8 H, 1 BB, 3 K.  70 pitches with 49 strikes.  WHIP is not what you would want but he actually struck out more than he walked today.  5 runs but only 2 earned as the defense was airmailing throws all around.

Offline Potomac Cannons

And a Norris 3 run HR in the bottom of the 8th.

Adam Carr pitches the 9th.  16 pitches, 13 strikes, no baserunners and 1 K.  If this keeps up I hope he gets a look in ST as a bullpen arm.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Is that number 3 or 4 in the AFL for norris

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I just don't want to see Norris tear up the AFL then go off to become a priest like the guy from Oakland's organization did last year.

(Actually, if that is his calling, I would respect it and wish him well)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Grant Desme.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Grant Desme.
thought about drafting him as a farm player for my AL fantasy team with my last pick. Instead, I took Wilson Ramos.

(Actually, I took Chisenhall, Conger, then Ramos).

Offline Potomac Cannons

I just don't want to see Norris tear up the AFL then go off to become a priest like the guy from Oakland's organization did last year.

(Actually, if that is his calling, I would respect it and wish him well)

I'd rather him be Grant Desme than Glen Coffee.

Offline Sharp

I was really not impressed with his velocity when I saw him on Pitch F/X. I don't think you're really going to see a lot of K's, or a lack of BB's from him.

As is, I think he's pretty near his ceiling already.

Not a wasted pick... but I don't see anything more than 4-5/AAAA type out of him.
This is kind of what I was afraid of.  Still... any lefty with decent velocity is going to get an extended look.

Also: Norris putting up stats like this suggests that he's too good for the pitchers at this level (yes, it's SSS, but it's not like him walking and hitting homers is a new development).  Time to move him up and see what happens.

Offline Potomac Cannons

This is kind of what I was afraid of.  Still... any lefty with decent velocity is going to get an extended look.

Also: Norris putting up stats like this suggests that he's too good for the pitchers at this level (yes, it's SSS, but it's not like him walking and hitting homers is a new development).  Time to move him up and see what happens.

Norris is AA this year and probably AAA by the end of the season.  2012 is looking more and more like a sure thing for him.

As far as Solis goes, I hadn't read this MLB.com scouting report on him before.  It's from March and pegs him as a 4 or 5 starter with three pitches that are at least average.  Surprised to see the 91-92 on the FB.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8080130&content_id=7189149

Here are his college stats.  Surprised that 92 IP was his high.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Sammy-Solis.shtml

Offline Sharp

Norris is AA this year and probably AAA by the end of the season.  2012 is looking more and more like a sure thing for him.

As far as Solis goes, I hadn't read this MLB.com scouting report on him before.  It's from March and pegs him as a 4 or 5 starter with three pitches that are at least average.  Surprised to see the 91-92 on the FB.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8080130&content_id=7189149

Here are his college stats.  Surprised that 92 IP was his high.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Sammy-Solis.shtml
Was he injured in '09?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
He had a major back injury while weightlifting in college.

Offline bglide

• banned
Norris should be our starting catcher opening day.  He's the only real prospect we have outside of Harper.  Maybe throw in Moore. 

Offline Sharp

Norris should be our starting catcher opening day.  He's the only real prospect we have outside of Harper.  Maybe throw in Moore.  
Ignoring the fact that Norris still has plenty of non-bat-related stuff to work on (and has yet to put significant time in at a league above single A), I think you're putting your definition of "real prospect" ridiculously high if you think Harper and Norris are the only ones we have.  The Nats' farm system isn't loaded but it's not totally occupied by organizational guys, career minor leaguers, and failures.

Offline bglide

• banned
Ignoring the fact that Norris still has plenty of non-bat-related stuff to work on (and has yet to put significant time in at a league above single A), I think you're putting your definition of "real prospect" ridiculously high if you think Harper and Norris are the only ones we have.  The Nats' farm system isn't loaded but it's not totally occupied by organizational guys, career minor leaguers, and failures.

We can start an old scrub that hit 2 homers last year, or go with the young buck who will be much better offensively.  Pudge has declined defensively, so he's no longer elite.  But, the Nats will keep starting old scrubs and losing 100 games.  Norris has everything. 

Offline Sharp

Bringing up players to the majors before they're ready is almost always a bad idea, even if they're better than who's currently on the club.

Offline houston-nat

We can start an old scrub that hit 2 homers last year, or go with the young buck who will be much better offensively.  Pudge has declined defensively, so he's no longer elite.  But, the Nats will keep starting old scrubs and losing 100 games.  Norris has everything. 

cough Wilson Ramos cough

Offline NJ Ave

Norris also has the KLaw seal of approval when he said he doesn't think Norris will be to move out from behind the plate. First time I've heard a major scout make such a definitive statement regarding his defense, although we heard anecdotally that he improved this year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'll post this link twice:  here and in the Harper thread.  Bryan Smith is calling him one of the top two prospects in baseball, despite his strikeouts and need to learn his position.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/my-bryce-harper-experience/

To me, one of the most amazing parts of seeing Bryce is seeing the amount of attention he draws from his opponents. When I saw him take batting practice in Scottsdale on Tuesday, the other team was stretching on the third base side when Harper entered the cage. Each time he was up, a number of players stopped what they were doing to watch him take batting practice. You can’t help it. And, during the game on Wednesday, his approach on the opposing pitchers is palpable. Starting pitcher Robert Carson hit 94 mph only twice during the game, both during his lone shot at retiring Harper. In his next at-bat, this time against Chris Carpenter, we saw the Cubs prospect pull back and hit 98 on the fourth pitch of his at-bat.

The other thing worth pointing out, that has nothing to do with his physical tools or swing, is that it’s clear that Harper is a baseball rat. What Jason Grey wrote on Twitter Monday is absolutely true: “You can tell Bryce Harper not used to sitting – for multiple games constantly on front step of dugout fidgeting with a glove & ball or a bat.” When the Scottsdale offense registered the third out, Harper was always the first out of the dugout. When he was not up at the plate, he was always on the top step, and the most vocal of any player. Normally, make-up stories don’t do it for me, but I think Harper being a baseball rat is going to be a massive help in marrying his potential with his ultimate results.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Lombardozzi playing SS tonight and batting 2nd.  So far, through 6, he's 1 for 2 with 2 BB.  Peacock pitched again.  Actually gave up a run for the 2nd time.  2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K.

Offline UMDNats

Harper just hit a home run to RF. No doubter, apparently.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Harper just hit a home run to RF. No doubter, apparently.

who cares, wake me when he goes opposite field. :)