Author Topic: Send Bryce Down Until He Grows Up  (Read 11626 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Send Bryce Down Until He Grows Up
« Reply #25: August 27, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »
Isn't the corollary to this rule that you learn to be an jerk by being an jerk?

He's always be intense. Better that he not learn it's okay to be an jerk athlete, too.

But at this point, I don't see why you send him down. Just sit him down for a few games, or drop him in the order.

oh grow up.

You learn to play the game by playing the game, let him play the game and quit worrying about how many batting helmets or bats he buys or how big of a fine he's racked up in the club house.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #26: August 27, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
But at this point, I don't see why you send him down.

You would send him down to get playing time, assuming that he is hurting the team when he is playing here and therefore shouldn't be.   Of course, that won't help much, since the minor league schedule is almost done, but send him down for those last few games.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #27: August 27, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
quit worrying about how many batting helmets or bats he buys or how big of a fine he's racked up in the club house.

And further to my previous point -- it's just not that simple. We don't know how many of the veterans he's pissing off with his tantrums.  He could be threatening the locker room equilibrium.  He's not worth that.

Offline Clever

« Reply #28: August 27, 2012, 05:56:54 PM »
And further to my previous point -- it's just not that simple. We don't know how many of the veterans he's pissing off with his tantrums.  He could be threatening the locker room equilibrium.  He's not worth that.
I think the equilibrium would have already been threatened by now.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #29: August 27, 2012, 07:21:40 PM »
As long as  he doesn't go all Zambrano on a team mate, it's probably no big deal.  Hopefully he won't smash his own face with a bat again.

Offline zoom

« Reply #30: August 27, 2012, 08:19:23 PM »
Is this what rizzo and Johnson were arguing about?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #31: August 27, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #32: August 27, 2012, 08:34:37 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I wonder if that guy has any idea of how famous he is

Offline RL04

« Reply #33: August 27, 2012, 08:44:42 PM »
Why is Boras relevant to the issue of sending him down?

Because Boras will threaten Rizzo that he won't send players to the team if the Nats do something that Harper and Boras don't like.

See Mike Wise's column a few days ago about St. Stephen.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #34: August 27, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »
Uh ... if Mike Wise wrote it, it's not worth reading. Or remembering.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #35: August 27, 2012, 10:28:04 PM »
If Boras dictates even one thing about the Nats, the Nats are the biggest joke in baseball. No team cares one iota what the agents want for their clients.

Guess what. All agents want their players to play every game and bat cleanup.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #36: August 27, 2012, 10:41:24 PM »
Guess what. All agents want their players to play every game and bat cleanup.

Even Nick Punto's agent?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #37: August 28, 2012, 07:58:48 AM »

Because Boras will threaten Rizzo that he won't send players to the team if the Nats do something that Harper and Boras don't like.

Oh.  Interesting theory but I'm just not buying it.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #38: August 28, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »
Is this what rizzo and Johnson were arguing about?

I have been trying to catch some of the discussion on XM 89 MLB the past two mornings, and perhaps someone here can report on that, because I haven't been able to catch as much of it as I would like.  But I get the impression that they think that the argument between Davey and Rizzo was all about Harper and his tantrums.  And the argument is over benching him.  (They would, indeed, be taking about sending him down, except that the minor league season is almost done.)  I don't know for sure who is taking which position, but presumably, Davey wants to bench him and Rizzo wants him to play.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #39: August 28, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »
I would have thought the opposite (Rizzo wants him benched, Davey wants him to play).

I have been trying to catch some of the discussion on XM 89 MLB the past two mornings, and perhaps someone here can report on that, because I haven't been able to catch as much of it as I would like.  But I get the impression that they think that the argument between Davey and Rizzo was all about Harper and his tantrums.  And the argument is over benching him.  (They would, indeed, be taking about sending him down, except that the minor league season is almost done.)  I don't know for sure who is taking which position, but presumably, Davey wants to bench him and Rizzo wants him to play.

Offline RL04

« Reply #40: August 28, 2012, 11:54:14 AM »
Uh ... if Mike Wise wrote it, it's not worth reading. Or remembering.

:roll:

He has Boras saying it on tape.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #41: August 28, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »
:roll:

He has Boras saying it on tape.

I stand by my statement. Wise is a hack. And an idiot.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #42: August 28, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »

I wouldn't which side Rizzo and davey took if they were arguing about Harper. I think I remember that Rizzo wanted Harper to spend the first half-season in Syracuse. Maybe Rizzo is saying, "I told you he should stay in AAA".

Or not.

This is all a guess, so they might have argued over relief pitchers, or the short bench or almost anything.

(It still looks like Harper should sit at least half these games. Lombo, Moore, and Bernadina add more)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #43: August 28, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »
So Boras is on tape saying if the Nats send down Harper he'll never have another client sign with the Nats?

If you believe that, I've got some swamp land to sell ya.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: August 28, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »
So Boras is on tape saying if the Nats send down Harper he'll never have another client sign with the Nats?

If you believe that, I've got some swamp land to sell ya.

no more rick ankiels :panic: (can he retroactively take werth back?)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #45: August 29, 2012, 12:49:57 AM »
Too late now!  Besides if we send him down to Syracuse now, he can't be on the post season roster!

He'll work things out.  Besides, bats have been breaking all over the place without Bryce slamming them.  Those Maple bats have got to go!

Offline Slateman

« Reply #46: August 29, 2012, 02:20:17 AM »
He can still be sat for a while. That's going to be the biggest punishment we can give him. Don't let him play. He wants to, don't let him. He has to show a certain level of maturity.

Also, I think guys like Jayson have to enforce this. Once in a while, i get losing your temper. But Bryce is making a habit of it.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #47: August 29, 2012, 08:52:01 AM »
He can still be sat for a while. That's going to be the biggest punishment we can give him. Don't let him play. He wants to, don't let him. He has to show a certain level of maturity.

Never understood benching a player when taking money from them is so much more effective and so much less public.
Deal with it in the club house, the fans don't need to be involved.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #48: August 29, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »
Never understood benching a player when taking money from them is so much more effective and so much less public.

because this is the mlb- they'd try it, he'd laugh

Offline Ray D

« Reply #49: August 29, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »
Why are we talking about this in terms of punishment?  He needs to sit awhile so he can cool off and be a more effective player.  Simple as that.