Author Topic: Alex Meyer for Denard Span. Arrr! The White Whale be ours! *stamps peg leg*  (Read 11771 times)

Offline UMDNats

I wasn't a big fan of Span but this price is not high and I'd much rather have him than Upton, Bourn or Victorino, so very solid deal.

Offline houston-nat

Here is a comment from a Twins fan on FanGraphs: "Span is good enough and cheap enough to warrant an SP2 or SP3 or a prospect that is ML ready right now."

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Meyer was my favorite prospect. I guess the Nats brass saw him as a reliever instead of a starter.

Doubt that, they just saw him as a prospect while we're trying to win a shampship.

I actually thought about Span today when someone else said something about Rizzo swinging a trade instead of dealing with the free agent market. With two years on his contract, Span is a perfect bridge to Goodwin.

Not sure how I feel about losing LaRoche. So you go Span - Werth - Zim - Harper - Morse (or some similar combo for 3-5) Looks nice.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Nice one Knight!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I like it!!! Pitching and Defense move, gives is lineup versatility, and allows Nats to weigh options with Morse/LaRoche.

As always, well done Rizzo.

Offline hammondsnats

Quote from: UMDNats
I wasn't a big fan of Span but this price is not high and I'd much rather have him than Upton, Bourn or Victorino, so very solid deal.

While I'm a huge Upton fanboi, agreed.  I really like the deal and the player we are getting back.

Classy guy, plays hard, will be a table-setter ... great work rizzo/lerners/everyone involved :clap:

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline HalfSmokes

Doubt that, they just saw him as a prospect while we're trying to win a shampship.

I actually thought about Span today when someone else said something about Rizzo swinging a trade instead of dealing with the free agent market. With two years on his contract, Span is a perfect bridge to Goodwin.

Not sure how I feel about losing LaRoche. So you go Span - Werth - Zim - Harper - Morse (or some similar combo for 3-5) Looks nice.
If LaRoche repeats last year,  it's a huge offensive downgrade - hopefully not having Morse butcher OF makes up for it

Offline nobleisthyname

For whatever little it matters, he's a lefty as well.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
This is going to get interesting now.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
For his career, Span has averaged +3.6 WAR per 600 plate appearances. Even if you regress his defense a bit because he’ll turn 29 during spring training, Span looks like a good bet to be +3 win player next year, making him a dramatic upgrade over Mike Morse. With Span being flanked by Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper in the outfield, the Nationals are going to boast of the rangiest outfields in the sport, and now the team has the option of shifting Morse to first base or trading him if they end up re-signing Adam LaRoche. Span is exactly the kind of player that the Nationals have been searching for, and is a perfect fit for their roster.

Offline houston-nat

Span career numbers:  .284/.357/.389
Bourn career numbers: .272/.339/.365

For about a quarter of the price

If we do keep LaRoche, the offseason's a win. All that would be left is a fifth starter, and those are easy.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Now we have to wait 3 months.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
Now we have to wait 3 months.

I was considering learning how to hibernate...

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Quote from: Twitter
Rizzo says the talks with the Twins began at the GM Meetings, and they heated up in the past week.
Rizzo talking now about how good of an OF defense the Nats have now. And he's right.
We’ve got 3 players in Jayson Werth, Bryce Harper & Denard Span who can play center field in the major leagues effectively.
Can't overstate importance of Span's skillset and contract fitting the #Nats well. Doesn't block their minor lg CF prospects, fills need now
Mike Rizzo again saying that Nats wanted to move Bryce Harper out of center field because of its physical demands.
"I think he’s going to bring a dimension to the club that we haven’t had before."
Mike Rizzo says Nats medical staff evaluated Span and cleared him.
Rizzo also says he's had some inquiries on Michael Morse and other guys on the roster. Expect that to increase now that Span's on board.

Offline Rasta

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
#redsox now talking to adam laroche as well as napoli for first base. http://cbsprt.co/TwBOSZ

Amanda Comak ‏@acomak
The #Nats and #Twins began talks 3-4 weeks ago, got serious after the GM meetings and really heated up this week, Rizzo said.

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
An OF of Span-Harper-Werth is great defensively, but if ALR is gone and Morse slumps the first couple of months could be brutal.

Offline HalfSmokes

LaRoche was a 3.8 war player and span hasn't played a full season in two years- I'm not seeing how Cameron thinks this is an upgrade

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Not to be too ignorant but Meyer's the big (6'9") pitcher?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
He's a pitcher... dunno if he's the huge one.

Offline UMDNats

An OF of Span-Harper-Werth is great defensively, but if ALR is gone and Morse slumps the first couple of months could be brutal.

If Morse struggles, fortunately we have Tyler Moore who could probably step in and pick up the slack.

Offline terpfan417

We could still re-sign Laroche and trade Morse if we wanted right? I don't see why this move necessarily means Laroche is done. And if it does he was done anyway.

Offline Mattionals

Great pickup.  His skillset gives Goodwin next year and the year after to develop.  Much cheaper than Bourn and likely better for a table setter.  Defense is not Bourn, but still elite.  Plus he is a DC native!

Sucks to lose out on Meyer, but I think that could mean the Nats mean real business with Greinke.  Meyer was the "closest" pitcher to the rotation, and it would have been a crapshoot if he was a starter or reliever.  He has two pitches and I think Slate saw him pitch in the minors this year and said his change looked like a dang beach ball everytime he threw it.  I really like him though and will follow him just as I did with Milone and Peacock.

At this point, I'd let LaRoche walk.  Morse at 1B with .280 and 30 bombs is going to be fine.  Not as nimble on defense, but I think the defense will be better with Zimm's shoulder healed up.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Help me out, why does this mean LaRoche is gone?

Offline nobleisthyname

LaRoche was a 3.8 war player and span hasn't played a full season in two years- I'm not seeing how Cameron thinks this is an upgrade

It is if he can stay healthy. Span is a 3+ win player too.